BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen3 v Gen4 performance?

More
19 Jul 2020 11:03 #225318 by Foxtrot
Hi gang, I am looking for a bit of advice, I have had a few Gen3 Jimnys, has anyone had a Gen3 and upgraded to a Gen4 and noticed an improvement in performance with the bigger 1500cc engine?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2020 17:25 #225326 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
I drove an old shape daihatsu terios for eight years, it had a 1.3 12 valve starlet engine in it.
That vehicle took me places that it really shouldn't have, and having the low down torque was great.

I've had the Gen 4 Jimny for a number of months now, I really don't get on with it being a 16v, I want the power low down. I pretty much never rev the engine above 3000 revs.

My experience of driving the new Jimny on the road at low speeds is it feels completely gutless. I drive it on forestry tracks too, and its okay at that, but less confidence inspiring than the old terios was.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

More
19 Jul 2020 17:43 #225327 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
I wouldn’t have said the Gen 4 feels gutless. I’m willing to bet they make more low end grunt than the Terrios did. The difference is the engine doesn’t fall on its face at higher rpm.

More
19 Jul 2020 17:54 #225329 by Dan
It's good for what I need it for, which is going to my woodland, but the power delivery is absolutely soul destroying.

More
19 Jul 2020 18:00 #225331 by 300bhpton
Personally I can’t relate. On the road using the gears and regs does make the best of what it has. But as said, 16v engines generally match or exceed 12v at low rpm. Then massively exceed at high rpm. So you don’t have to rev it.

I certainly don’t feel short changed at all. By contrast my other two 4x4’s are a 4.6 V8 and a highly tuned 200Tdi turbo diesel.

To answer the ops question. I’ve not owned a Gen 3. But have driven a couple, albeit not for many years. My recollection is the Gen 4 does the same, just better.

More
19 Jul 2020 18:12 #225333 by Dan
It's so slow when I go to work I take my wife's fiesta instead.

She loves the J-Wagon but it's painfully slow.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jul 2020 18:56 #225337 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
We've got a Gen3 and Gen4 at home and when you jump from one to another it's hard to tell the difference. The older car rattles more and the newer car is smoother (it bloomin' well should be). If I had a late Gen3 it would be a fairer comparison but out '08 has seen life. I feels to me that the extra power of the 1.5 has got lost in the plumbing. Doesn't matter they're both good cars. Chris

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2020 19:42 #225345 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
Any Jimny will not come alive much below 3000 rippems, they are small petrol engines and need revs to make torque. They are not a diesel that is running out of revs at 3500 rpm. We used to have a mk1 terrios and while it was much the same character the Jimny is a better choice, the torque is much wider in the range.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
19 Jul 2020 20:09 #225353 by lightning
Replied by lightning on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
I’ve driven two Gen 4 Jimnys.

The first last year was a 1,300 mile silver one and it felt a bit gutless, l wasn’t that impressed.
The second was a 6,300 mile yellow one this month and it was a lot better, it seemed more eager and generally pulled better.
Maybe the yellow one was just a good one, or it had loosened up better after 6,000 miles.

More
19 Jul 2020 22:25 - 19 Jul 2020 22:26 #225371 by 300bhpton
Another thing. I was impressed with how well they pull low down. 30mph in 5th for instance. And will pull sub 1500rpm in top too.

Flat out the Jimny pretty much matches my V8 Range Rover to about 80-85mph.

Last edit: 19 Jul 2020 22:26 by 300bhpton.

More
20 Jul 2020 21:26 #225406 by Roger Fairclough
The 1.3 12 valve Starlet engine comes from the Toyota stable and if it has been grafted into a Terios then it may or may not be standard. Also don't confuse a probably noisy engine that gives the impression of power with the installation of a modern engine in the gen.4 that is impressively quiet. I bought my gen.4 in March this year and due to lockdown I have only just clocked 1300 miles and the engine is still not fully run in but 50 - 70 in 5th gear in 13 seconds is still impressive for a car with the aerodynamics of a brick on edge.

More
21 Jul 2020 07:22 #225413 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen3 v Gen4 performance?
You can't change gear at 3,000rpm and then complain the car is slow! It's a small petrol engine that makes peak power at around 6,000rpm, and it is designed to be driven accordingly. If you choose to only use a third of the available powerband of course it will be slow. Use it how it's designed to be used and it will be fine.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightning

Time to create page: 0.195 seconds