BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Is the new Jimny really that bad on the motorway?

More
12 Jul 2020 18:53 #224933 by lightning
Looking at buying a new model Jimny and it really gets a slating for motorway use in the Autocar long term test.

We test drove one and it seemed OK at 70 mph on the local bypass. Certainly not “incredibly noisy” as Autocar reported.
Sure
It’s not an Evoque but it’s not meant to be.
So when is it bad, is it in bad weather and cross winds?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2020 19:14 - 12 Jul 2020 19:20 #224941 by Scimike
The Jimny (any generation) is acceptable on the motorway as long as you accept it's not trying to be luxury vehicle. It's fair to say that if you compare it (price wise) you are going to get a better motorway vehicle that will provide better mpg, go faster and be more comfortable. That's what the press are doing, but they can't compare the Jimny to any other similar vehicles as they all cost considerably more, so it gets compared to a mid priced car.
We only have a Gen3 as our main vehicle, it tours the country, goes to the shops, pulls our caravan and covers many trouble free miles. The Gen4 should be better with the bigger engine and I can't see anything wrong with the old Jimny.
If you are happy in it that's all that matters.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 12 Jul 2020 19:20 by Scimike.

More
12 Jul 2020 19:21 #224943 by Gadget
It's fine on the motorway. 3000 rpm at 60mph and it's no louder than our current model Astra. High winds blow it around a bit, but nothing too alarming.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 19:28 #224946 by Grima
Sorry to be blunt, but you have driven one at 70 mph so you now what there like. so called car pundits just talk crap trying to justify a non existent job. If the car fits buy one.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Jul 2020 19:35 #224948 by Lambert
Turbulence off wagons can be a little unsettling especially if combined with a cross wind but otherwise any Jimny is perfectly capable of driving all day up and down the motorway.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Jul 2020 19:37 #224950 by JodieMarie22
I don't often use mine on the motorway, when I do it is usually M25, M11. In strong winds I do feel pushed around a lot between 70-80mph but it is manageable, it just makes it more excitable to drive! Noise is no issue for me, I just turn the music up. Fuel economy is terrible (it drops from 43 to 27) but then I do try and race mini boy racers.
Also a bypass is not a motorway and may not have been particularly windy. Just because you wouldn't ask the question doesn't mean someone else can't. Please also check your grammar.

• nogbad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 19:39 #224951 by nogbad
We often drive a Suzuki splash we own down to Northampton from Nottingham,when we used the new Jimmy at Christmas we we very pleased with it ,no worst for noise or comfort than the Splash driving between 60 and 70,but we only used it the once due to the amount of fuel it used.

More
12 Jul 2020 19:50 #224958 by DAGZOOK
I drive my JIM on the motorway every single day to get to work. The daily jaunt is about 15 miles each way, the JIM has been faultless since day one. The gen.4 has the benefit of cruise control and a speed limiter, both help reduce fatigue on the motorway. I've just ticked over 10k miles now on the JIM and the engine feels as if it's loosened up a bit, it's very smooth and will sit at 70mph no issues (Approximately 3.5k revs). Obviously the JIM wasn't designed to be a motorway cruiser.. I new this when I bought the car. But that being said it copes with it very well and it's performance in the rough stuff more than compensates for it's lack of motorway cruising ability.

Autocar journalists have spent far too much time driving German saloons, they don't know what a great working 4x4 feels like. The Gen.4 s**t's all over the likes of defenders when it comes to on road handling and vehicle creature comforts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightning

More
12 Jul 2020 20:44 #224964 by lightning
Thank you for the replies. It was fine on the motorway for the kind of car that it is.
But it was a nice day and there was no wind, so l was unable to fully test it.
We both liked the Jimny and will get one if we can find one at a reasonable price (not £24,000!)
I contacted Suzuki about dealers charging over list price, and they said they didn’t approve but the dealers are registering them so they are officially used cars.
And because of that they can sell them for whatever price they want, Suzuki have no control over it.

More
12 Jul 2020 21:08 #224967 by Busta
Compared to any other modern car I think it is fair to say a Jimny is terrible at motorway speeds. Even my girlfriends Citroen C1 is a better motorway car by a long shot. But that's not to say the Jimny isn't capable of doing motorway driving all day long. I certainly prefer the Jimny to the Defender. You just have to manage your expectations!

More
12 Jul 2020 22:47 #224973 by Bob1050

Busta wrote: Compared to any other modern car I think it is fair to say a Jimny is terrible at motorway speeds. Even my girlfriends Citroen C1 is a better motorway car by a long shot. But that's not to say the Jimny isn't capable of doing motorway driving all day long. I certainly prefer the Jimny to the Defender. You just have to manage your expectations!

Land Rover Defender sits more comfortably on Motorway at speed in rain and with large puddles. Jimny feels skittish and on occasion downright dangerous when overtaking HGV's in windy and wet conditions. Even the other day in the city, as I was stationary at the traffic lights the wind gusting between two high-rise office blocks was enough to have us thinking "Are we about to get blown over or find ourselves on the wrong side of the road"? Personally I find that the Jimny is a lot more comfortable/in the zone at 60 65mph - above that speed it all begins to get a bit uncomfortable at various levels. If you want to go fast on the Motorway, there are a lot of cars that will do the job better than a Jimny.

• zebraman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 23:03 #224974 by zebraman
I've found that since I upgraded the wheels and tyres it sits a lot better at 70 and above. There is also anecdotal evidence that shocks or shocks and spring upgrades help.

On standard wheels it was a crazy ride above 70mph.

Time to create page: 0.157 seconds