BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

660cc Jimny emissions

More
12 Jul 2020 10:02 #224879 by Foxtrot
The 1500cc Jimny is no longer available to order in Europe, it would be interesting to know what the CO2 emissions are for the 660cc three pot engine is for the Japanese Kie market. Maybe they could use that unit in a European spec Jimny for the interim, just a thought?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2020 10:19 #224882 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic 660cc Jimny emissions
I honestly believe there is more going on than co2 emissions. I suspect it is more of an excuse. Since 1999 2018 and 2019 have been the lowest Jimmy sales in Europe. Clearly this isn’t down to demand. But more a lack of supply. I think Suzuki would rather be selling them in other markets.

Not saying they wouldn’t have to address the co2. But lots and lots of other vehicles produce higher emissions. And it isn’t as if Suzuki’s model range is full of big V8’s and turbocharged cars. So having the Jimny as one of their highest co2 vehicles would be unlikely to be a real problem.

I do find it odd they didn’t fit their mild hybrid tech to the Jimny. All it is is an alternator that is also a motor and a small battery. Nothing fancy and you’d never know it was there. Unless their is a truth that such systems make very little real world impact.

As for the JDM one. I suspect it would be woefully underpowered. And I have a hunch it probably isn’t much different on the co2’s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 10:21 #224883 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic 660cc Jimny emissions
I like the idea of Kei cars but I suspect their future (in Europe at least) is limited. Like it or not the future is electric with hybrids a short term stop- gap. The Japanese have largely avoided officially sending Kei cars to Europe and I don't see this changing. Kei cars don't meet euro crash test requirements and would probably not be worth the investment to a small company like Suzuki. Shame really. Chris

More
12 Jul 2020 10:35 #224884 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic 660cc Jimny emissions
I didn't understand why the Jimny was pulled emitting 154g/km and the new Defender spits out 230g/km. Apparently the lighter the car's in the company portfolio the stricter the EU emissions apply?

More
12 Jul 2020 10:38 - 12 Jul 2020 10:50 #224885 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic 660cc Jimny emissions
For the record. An MX-5 produces very similar co2 to the Jimny. And a Toyota GT86 quite a bit more. They are also vehicles with a similar kerb weight to the Jimny.

As for EV. Maybe. But we don’t have and are unlikely to ever have an infrastructure to support them. I personally don’t see them as the future. Too many major milestones to overcome.

I can see electric drive being the future. But still with some kind on board power generation.
Last edit: 12 Jul 2020 10:50 by 300bhpton.

More
12 Jul 2020 10:58 #224886 by Foxtrot
I don't believe that plugin battery power is the long term answer, it is has too many shortcomings and it will be just a stepping stone. However I do think that hydrogen/electric is more practical and will eventually become the automotive choice. This article by Ineos Fuel group is very interesting. It also looks like the Grenadier 4x4 will be powered by hydrogen in the future.

www.ineos.com/inch-magazine/articles/iss...-cell-vehicles-work/

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Jul 2020 11:19 #224887 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic 660cc Jimny emissions
No-one likes hydrogen more than the fuel companies. It's a commodity they understand, very easy to sell just like petrol. For the customer it makes sense, you just fill up and go with very similar performance to petrol. Unfortunately governments don't like it as production of hydrogen is polluting. Emissions are becoming far more government lead and not industry lead, there's the problem.
Chris

More
12 Jul 2020 12:51 - 12 Jul 2020 13:25 #224892 by Foxtrot
I don't think it will be long before the environmental damage caused by mining for colbalt and the unethical way they use child Labour to extract it will become an unavoidable issue as the demand for lithium batteries increases. It's going to be interesting times as we move away from fosil fuel..:unsure:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2020 13:25 by Foxtrot.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds