BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Well, thats toast! Advice needed (again!)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
07 Jul 2020 17:47 #224663 by Riccy

Reason2doubt wrote: I think Riccy on this forum had a really cool way of dealing with the rust he had on his truck 'Ulysses' - cut it all out and put in some fairly hefty metal girders to replace the existing metal supports - could be a way of doing it if you can show someone the photos from his thread and get them to replicate it?

:laugh:

Me101; It does look bad, maybe worse than ulysses, but the metal you see is pretty much what I replaced (and more!). Its pretty simple stuff to experienced welders, I was learning as I went. With hindsight I would have bought a new front panel and wheel arch/inner wings and saved myself a lot of work.

Before you make a decision I would get under with a hammer and have a good bash about all the sills and other bits of thin metal you can get at to establish if its just the front or not, you dont want the same thing elsewhere next year if its getting fixed up ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2020 19:05 #224664 by Keithy
Looks pretty average for a jimny.

Saw it on facebook and posted a picture of my "repair" basically cut the lot off and just added support for the wing.....added lightness!

Suzuki Jimny....made of rust and held together with dirt....learn to weld or earn money and pay.....only choice really.

More
07 Jul 2020 19:16 #224665 by me101
Thanks guys. Been to see it, and we've agreed to putting a new front panel in (just ordered). MoT to Sept I think, but he did say it probably wouldn't have been picked up on. So hopefully have it done in a week! While bumper off, nearly bought a winch plate, but can't stretch that far at the minute. Looking at the rest under the plastic inner arch, it looks really solid, so worth saving I think. Keeping a look out for a rear locker now.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
14 Jul 2020 08:12 #225042 by me101
UPDATE - it is back on my drive. I just need to make some adjustments to the bumper for the winch plate / recovery points that accidentally fell on while the car was in bits. If anyone doing the same thing, the guy sorted it says the panel was fine to work with, no issues. It was the £310 Ebay one.

Attachments:

More
14 Jul 2020 08:21 #225043 by Reason2doubt
Looks very smart!! Glad you kept with it and didn't get rid of the Jimmers.

More
14 Jul 2020 08:27 #225044 by me101
The kids love it. I just had tit on with it because it only went in for the floor welding on the body mounts near the doors, and just became an expensive job. All done now though, but got to get the rear bearings replaced to see if that stops the noise from the back end. Best be getting some overtime in!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
14 Jul 2020 09:22 #225049 by lightning
That’s a great job you are doing there. It looked pretty terminal from the photos so it’s great that you managed to save it.

I hope the new model is better protected from rust, l thought Defenders were bad but it takes about 30 years for them to get to that state.

More
14 Jul 2020 09:34 #225050 by me101
He didn't cut the old one out, just sneezed on it!

More
14 Jul 2020 09:35 #225051 by me101
And he did have to put some patches in, the inner arches didn't meet the new panel once the rust was removed!

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds