BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Work in progress.

More
06 Jul 2020 11:24 - 06 Jul 2020 11:26 #224582 by Roger Fairclough
A short intro.

New model Jimny purchased on 1st March this year with approx. Now has 1800 miles on the clock. Only used for a couple of weeks before lockdown so spent 6 weeks or so in the back garden whilst I considered my options as to what mods to do first. Be under no illusions, this is work in progress.

I removed the rear seats and stowed the seat belts behind the trim. With the trim off I fitted rear speakers. With trim re-fitted I measured, made and fitted a box in the space vacated by the seats. These photos show the box closed and with a cargo net in place and open with a few oddments inside.

I made two boxes that slide under the front seats. It was necessary to move the electrical connections for the seat heaters and belt warning system to make it easier to sllde the boxes in but I now have space for the manual and binoculars, walking GPS etc.

I bought 3 small cargo nets on Ebay and attached two to the back of the rear box. They are suitable to hold OS maps and other small items. I have an old but still usable hand torch on a curly cable that now sits behind the central cup holder on a purpose made bracket. I made a much larger trinket holder that sits in front of the gear lever. Capacity is about 3 times that of the original unit. The posh floor mats are very nice but excessively thick so I cut up some 2mm thick rubber matting and that does the job perfectly especially as it is easy to remove and scrub clean.I have fitted a sound proofing kit and noted a big reduction in noise and lastly a twin air horn has been fitted under the bonnet. I also have a heater unit for the windscreen washer fluid but I will need a larger capacity pump before I fit it.

More to follow in due course.

Roger.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2020 11:26 by Roger Fairclough.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2020 11:33 #224584 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Work in progress.
Looking good, neat idea for the rear seats. The wires under the front seats, did you extend them or just manage to reposition them?

More
06 Jul 2020 12:14 #224586 by Roger Fairclough
Replied by Roger Fairclough on topic Work in progress.
Hi Soeley,

There is a pop riveted bracket under the seat that is the support for the cable connections. I removed the brackets, re-drilled the mounting holes and refitted them. I did try to junk the brackets but movement of the seats on the rails proved that they are a necessary evil. I did however junk the plastic cover that prevents rear seat passengers from kicking the connections loose. No rear seats, no passengers so no need for the covers!

Roger
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
06 Jul 2020 12:43 #224588 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Work in progress.
Some neat ideas on that!

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
06 Jul 2020 14:45 #224592 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Work in progress.
You've even got a defibrillator!

Dave ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: yakuza

More
06 Jul 2020 17:00 - 06 Jul 2020 17:01 #224604 by Roger Fairclough
Hasn't everyone, mind you by the time you finish reading the instructions the patient has probably moved on and you will be electrocuting a corpse.

"What was the cause of death doc."

"Electrocution"

"Sergeant, arrest that guy with the hand lamp

Sorry, i'll get my coat.

Roger
Last edit: 06 Jul 2020 17:01 by Roger Fairclough.

More
06 Jul 2020 17:16 #224605 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic Work in progress.
Some nice mods Roger!
What horn did you use and did you have to do any wiring mods to fit it?

More
07 Jul 2020 08:22 #224624 by Roger Fairclough

Picture 1 shows the Fiamm pump unit mounted alongside the rad.The 2 horns are lower down. I would have preferred the horns to be just behind the grill but I don't think there is enough room.

Picture 2 shows the relay and fuse fitted into a combination Ripaults unit that I mounted alongside the battery. The second fuse-30amp-is mounted alongside the main one. So it's power from battery into fuse, out to relay and then to pump and earth. Activation from Suzuki horn circuit-other side of rad.-and finally earth. You need the relay as the Suzuki circuit wont take the 30 amp load.

Roger
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds