BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Towing socket 3

• Orvil
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2020 15:44 #224340 by Orvil
Towing socket 3 was created by Orvil
Hi had my jimny3 few months or more and I where looking to tow a small trailer. It already had fitted tow bar and elec socket. So I plug in a lighting board but no response I no the boards OK tested on another vehicle. His there a relay that might need changeing just don't want to split all the socket down if there's something could be wrong else where. Cheers for any help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2020 17:19 - 01 Jul 2020 17:20 #224344 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Towing socket 3
Hi
Unfortunately you are at the mercy of however the previous owner fitted the socket, it may / may not have additional bits.
You can wire the socket direct to the Jimny Wiring loom which is routed around the rear bumper. In this instance if your vehicle lights are working but nothing on the trailer board, then a poor connection may exist. I would check the earth of the socket first if all the lights on the trailer board don't work.
Alternatively you can fit a relay repeater which isolates the trailer wiring from the vehicle wiring. It's a small black box that will have a separate fused supply, in this instance you need to check the supply. The repeater can be located anywhere, mine is behind the rear passenger side trim panel, the fused feed is via a spur fuse in the interior fuse box.
This may need you to just trace the wires unfortunately.
Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 17:20 by Scimike.

• Orvil
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2020 17:35 #224346 by Orvil
Replied by Orvil on topic Towing socket 3
Hi Scimike
Yer will check things out tomorrow abit long has no relays missed. Seen some thing about Jimny 3 pulling plugins apart and reconnecting with bridge loop of wire when going to use socket to get a live feed ?.

More
01 Jul 2020 17:41 #224348 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Towing socket 3
The tow bar sockets often corrode, outside and inside. The first thing I would do is to take it apart make a picture of the wiring and remove corrosion, clean, .... . This something that helps you anyhow, even if this is not the reason.

The next thing would be to measure the cables, check if the grounding is ok, etc. Sometimes the cables are not connected correctly.

More
01 Jul 2020 17:46 - 01 Jul 2020 17:47 #224350 by Scimike
It's possible if it's an OEM wiring loom, but that's another possible connection option. Most people just wire direct to the Jimny loom which passes through a hole passenger side rear, this then plugs into the rear bumper electrics. It gives good access to all the required light feeds, as such you don't need a separate supply feed, you trailer lights are simply in parallel with the vehicle lights. People tend to use Scotch lock connectors which are the devil's own and usually lead to light failure.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 17:47 by Scimike.

• Orvil
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jul 2020 17:55 #224352 by Orvil
I'm going to be busy I've ordered a new socket and bracket has it looks like it done its time and could do with a face lift. Thanks

• Orvil
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2020 07:49 #224572 by Orvil
Hi again got my new vehicle socket and bracket .. Took the old bracket off fell to bits just about 3 bolts holding socket on it over rusted on inspection 1 wire ad broke own near connection grub screw. Checking rest for power no responses looking for connections behind left side panel couple of wires with scotch blocks. Rest under wheel arch back of bottom left light a ball of red tape took some get off more scotch blocks what a job had to check every scotch block and refix and clean took some hours finding touch and go connections sorted out in the end but going to better them connections with solder and shrink wrap or something. Just wondering could I smear the back of socket with Vaseline or grease. Them scotch blocks might be a quick fix but bring on trouble years on I say.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Jul 2020 07:59 #224573 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Towing socket 3
The last time I was in the trailer wiring on Dreadnaught I was liberal with the waterproof grease. Can't see why people don't do it as a matter o course.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Orvil
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2020 09:59 #224574 by Orvil
Hi Lambert
That's what I thought when I had fishing boats use to cover what I could with desk tape round starter mother and alternated on in board engines. I done all the bolts and bracket with coating copper slip grease just thought might be conductivity near wiring connections but cheers all with tips and help.

• Orvil
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jul 2020 10:02 #224575 by Orvil
Denso tape. This American keyboard makes its own language.

More
06 Jul 2020 10:09 #224576 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Towing socket 3
Before I would play around with scotch blocks or soldering I would get a connection set. The are not so expensive and will save a lot of problems.

And using some kind of corrosion protection is a good idea, especially for the socket outside the car. I usually use Fluid Film Max Spray or Mike Sanders Fat.
Attachments:

More
06 Jul 2020 15:44 #224598 by Scimike
I tend to spray the back of my towing sockets with Waxoyl or Dinatrol, only because its easier to apply and gets into all nooks and crannies, but grease is fine if you don't have a can.

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds