BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help

More
02 Aug 2020 22:38 #225998 by Scot The Sniper

Riccy wrote: Steering bars are too long or need adjusted (if adjustable) im afraid.

A wheel alignment/tracking at a garage is always needed after altering this sort of stuff. Problem is finding one that will work on a modified car usually :-(

Panhard rods are probably out as well (or have you covered that already?) If adjustable you need to set them so that the axle is central to the chassis. Measure off the chassis to the tyre and get it in the middle before worrying about the steering bars.

If you do take it to a garage for an alignment/tracking the steering 'toe-in' should be set at 2 degrees inwards (for a standard car, maybe less for huge tyres). The only other thing they can adjust is the panhards (if adjustable), but thats more for centering the axle to the car properly, but it does have an affect on the steering position so needs set before the steering bars ;-)

Are the steering bars the panhard rods?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Aug 2020 05:34 #226001 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help
No. The panhard connects the axle tubes to the chassis one for each axle.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Aug 2020 07:02 - 03 Aug 2020 07:08 #226002 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help
Here you go Scot -

Yellow is the panhard rod, blue is the steering bar... both os these will need adjusting with a 3" lift like yours... think back to school days... as we’ve lifted the vehicle the short side of the righ-angled triangle as lengthened - so the hypothalamus has to lengthen accordingly, otherwise the axle is dragged over to the driver’s side :(

The wandering will be the castor being thrown out of geometry, so you'll need castor correcting offset bushes or replacement radius arms... :(

Oh, the fun of lifting Jimnys! :ohmy:
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Aug 2020 07:08 by X8GGY.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Aug 2020 08:15 #226008 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help
Hypotenuse is triangle. Hypothalamus is brains.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
03 Aug 2020 11:16 #226019 by Scot The Sniper
Thanks for the info guys

More
26 Aug 2020 13:06 - 26 Aug 2020 13:08 #227365 by Scot The Sniper
ok back again after a break from the jimny its getting depressing now.
Ok as said before gonna need the adjustable steering bar and panhard rod adjustable.
Other things going threw my mind after doing all the other stuff to it its now lower in hight compared to the body lift which is disappointing prefered it higher with
the lift and now the tyres are hitting the arches. Someone give me the matches. Anyway can u put the spring spacers 1.5" back in the 3"lift springs to bring it a bit higher.
Also with the suspension lifted will I have to take the circlip of the driveshafts at the front to give it the extra movement.
And will I have to buy a panhard rod for the rear as well
Last edit: 26 Aug 2020 13:08 by Scot The Sniper.

More
26 Aug 2020 14:00 #227368 by 300bhpton
Hope I don't come across as mean or grumpy.

But I assume you are modding purely for looks and not for off or on road performance?

If it is the later. You'd do yourself a world of favours by reading up, learning and understanding how the suspension works. And more importantly why it works that way.

Simply bolting crap on and hoping for the best while not having a clue to how any of it actually works, is a sure fired way of ending up with a heap. And there are so many badly modified 4x4's out there already, there really is no need for more of them.

Putting in the up front effort and learning how it all works, should pay dividends, as you'll know exactly what you need to do and why. :)

More
26 Aug 2020 14:37 #227371 by jackonlyjack
Put 4x spring spacers back in to lift higher
DO not touch drive shafts this is not effected by any amount of lift
Front propshaft could benefit from a one inch spacer with a 4+ inch lift

More
27 Aug 2020 19:16 #227417 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help

Scot The Sniper wrote: ... Also with the suspension lifted will I have to take the circlip of the driveshafts at the front to give it the extra movement.

That's an old trick on the Vitara, not applicable to the Jimny ;)

More
28 Aug 2020 13:49 #227461 by Scot The Sniper
Hi mate I know what your saying and I totally agree only thing is I was only replacing the clutch and noticed a broken spring with it having a 3" lift I thought it was 3" springs already in there i did not know it was a body lift so all this is because of the broken spring. If I had known it was original springs it it i would of just put them in and left it as it was bit was on Facebook group and they advised to just get 3" springs for the rear and its just caused so many problems with me not having the knowledge to do this Iam a mechanic and have access to a ramp and my tools I can do the jobs easily but as you say if I knew I would not be pulling my hair out and of course I need to start somewhere and yes its just for looks and off road vermin control no proper offloading. So any advice is greatly appreciated. Scot

More
28 Aug 2020 14:22 #227463 by jackonlyjack

More
30 Aug 2020 12:17 #227546 by Scot The Sniper
Hi mate they are 235 75 15

Time to create page: 0.203 seconds