BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help

More
20 Jun 2020 18:14 #223790 by jackonlyjack
Are the pro comps new I had same issue with the nut ended up using one of the old bushes off old shocker
That steering shaft looks bent You need to remove the two spacers (i have a good standard one) if you need one

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2020 19:28 #223797 by Scot The Sniper
Yea they are new I was thinking that myself to use an old bush
If i need one i will give you a shout mate

More
21 Jun 2020 07:43 #223811 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Body lift Jimmy 04 1.3 help
Oh dear :( As suspected then? The steering shaft is now too long and has bent when the body was bolted back down onto the chassis... :(

You needed to get those steering spacers out, but it's not worth it now as the shaft is bent, I wouldn't try to restraighten it and also take the spacers out, it would be more time and cost effective to take jackonlyjack's kind offer ;) of a replacement and fit that instead...

Unfortunately, you'll probably have to lift the body off the chassis a little again to get the old steering shaft out and the replacement one in :( (to get the splined ends of the shaft off the steering box and steering column)...

Dave :ohmy:

More
21 Jun 2020 09:33 #223813 by jackonlyjack
A little trick i found if you get a triangle rat tail file
Clean the shaft splines out copper slip grease
Then it will slide up and down easy on the steering box and column splines ;)

More
30 Jun 2020 16:56 - 30 Jun 2020 16:57 #224297 by Scot The Sniper
OK guys just an update and a stupid question. Mot had a chance to look at Jimmy as I'm 2 weeks on 1 week off. So to all body mounts of again lifted body up got the spacers out on the column and got the 2 couplings off no problem going to fit secondhand one tomorrow as I gave it a rub down and painted middle bit black so all going well so far.
Question is do I fit the column first or bolt body back down then fit. I'm thinking bolt body back down then fit incase I fit first then bend it on bolting body down after what u think.
P.s thanks very much for the column Jack very much appreciated mate.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 16:57 by Scot The Sniper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack

More
30 Jun 2020 17:12 #224300 by jackonlyjack
I put mine back on after everything else was done
Like i previously said clean all splines with triangle rat tail file
A good amount of copper grease and it will slide on fine

More
30 Jun 2020 19:16 #224305 by Scot The Sniper
Hi Jack I used an air gun with a wire brush on the end and cleaned the splines up then put grease on then used a drill with a finger wire brush and also cleaned up the splines on the one u sent me then greased that also. So should go back on easy enough i hope

More
30 Jun 2020 20:19 #224312 by X8GGY
Coming from "Vitara-land" (before I "upgraded" to a Jimny! ;) ) I've always put the steering shaft back in whilst lowering the body back down... it might work Jack's way, but I prefer to get it in during the body descent... ;)

More
02 Jul 2020 16:29 #224394 by Scot The Sniper
OK guys thanks very much for the advice I got the steering linkage on i tried it Jack's way first but it was a tad to long to get it back on so lifted the body up slightly and on it popped with no hassle whatsoever bolted all the body back down and no problems there either just need to get the nuts on the top of the new shocks as jack said might need to use an old rubber for this and I have the springs for the rear but to my absolute annoyance rear shocks are out of stock grrrrr

More
02 Jul 2020 19:16 #224408 by X8GGY

Scot The Sniper wrote: OK guys thanks very much for the advice I got the steering linkage on i tried it Jack's way first but it was a tad to long to get it back on so lifted the body up slightly and on it popped with no hassle whatsoever bolted all the body back down and no problems there either just need to get the nuts on the top of the new shocks as jack said might need to use an old rubber for this and I have the springs for the rear but to my absolute annoyance rear shocks are out of stock grrrrr

Sorry. you didn't make that quite clear enough... my way was betterer? ;) :P

More
03 Jul 2020 00:14 #224421 by Scot The Sniper
lol yes your way was better
The following user(s) said Thank You: X8GGY

More
25 Jul 2020 02:12 #225601 by Scot The Sniper
Ok back again just got my shocks threw so gonna fit the rear springs and shocks. I have 2 questions

1. On trolling threw the facebook jimny groups i noticed someone doing a 2" lift and asking if he should put the rubber cones back in on top of the lift kit when i took my plastic 1.5 inch lift spacers out of my spring i did not have any rubber cones to put back in will i need these please.

2 will i need to buy castor correction bushes for the front radious arms

Thx in advance

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds