BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 Jimny 2018+ - General questions to other owners

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2020 06:16 #223098 by B3Hulk

crash486 wrote:

CC Baxter wrote: What little things annoy you?
"Transfer case chain noise in 1st. Know there is a fix but it doesn't last".
I have to ask Crash, what's the story with the remedial not lasting?
I haven't had mine done but if I did I would expect a fix to last.
Chris

There have been several people here in Australia that have had the fix applied. Initially the sound is reduced substantially but after a while it returns.
It doesn't appear to be a problem mechanically, just noisy. It may come to be a Jimny "feature" .
I'd still report it and ask for the fix though.

crash486

Damn really? I was hoping to take it in to get it repaired as the Diff oils are meant to be replaced at 15 xxxkms anyway. I will see if suzuki will charge me to see it and to determine if it falls under warranty .

Do you know what the recall/bulletin number is?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jun 2020 11:26 #223107 by Busta
B3Hulk. Regarding noise, ears ringing, body roll and getting blown about by the wind, may I politely point out that you have placed a large, heavy, un-aerodynamic metal cage on top of your car? I'd be very surprised if you didn't notice a big improvement in all these areas with it removed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300bhpton

• B3Hulk
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2020 22:10 #223131 by B3Hulk

Busta wrote: B3Hulk. Regarding noise, ears ringing, body roll and getting blown about by the wind, may I politely point out that you have placed a large, heavy, un-aerodynamic metal cage on top of your car? I'd be very surprised if you didn't notice a big improvement in all these areas with it removed.

Don't worry , almost everyone has said the same thing and these were all issues before the roof rack. The rack is made from aluminum and I can easily lift it on my own.

• Azathoth
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2020 23:52 - 01 Jun 2020 23:55 #223134 by Azathoth
How comfortable is your ride?
No complaints on the front seats. I only find that the space between my elbow and the door is a bit small.
Car is pretty fun to drive. Yeah body roll is high and the tyres squeal if you do a tight corner at moderate speed. But it's part of the fun. It seems you are driving faster than you really are.

Do your ears ring after 15-20mins?
No, engine noise is quite low. I just find that the transmission is a bit noisy and there is a clear bang when i change gears. But i like that.

Do you have difficulty finding accessories?
Not really.

Do you have trouble with visibility?
The rear view mirror blocks a bit the view than other cars i had but it's not a big deal
Other than that it's really great.

What little things annoy you?
A quite noisy car window motor. And the window glass vibrates if i keep open just a little.
The 1st gear issue. The lane changing warning and the collision warning sometimes goes nuts for no reason whatsoever.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2020 23:55 by Azathoth.

More
02 Jun 2020 01:05 - 02 Jun 2020 01:07 #223135 by crash486

B3Hulk wrote:

crash486 wrote:

CC Baxter wrote: What little things annoy you?
"Transfer case chain noise in 1st. Know there is a fix but it doesn't last".
I have to ask Crash, what's the story with the remedial not lasting?
I haven't had mine done but if I did I would expect a fix to last.
Chris

There have been several people here in Australia that have had the fix applied. Initially the sound is reduced substantially but after a while it returns.
It doesn't appear to be a problem mechanically, just noisy. It may come to be a Jimny "feature" .
I'd still report it and ask for the fix though.

crash486

Damn really? I was hoping to take it in to get it repaired as the Diff oils are meant to be replaced at 15 xxxkms anyway. I will see if suzuki will charge me to see it and to determine if it falls under warranty .

Do you know what the recall/bulletin number is?

Internal to Suzuki so no one has any numbers to quote. Not a recall, so hoping it's only noise.

Oh and I had the oils changed . Not going to wait for 15k kms.
crash486
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 01:07 by crash486.

More
02 Jun 2020 08:10 #223137 by 300bhpton

B3Hulk wrote:

Busta wrote: B3Hulk. Regarding noise, ears ringing, body roll and getting blown about by the wind, may I politely point out that you have placed a large, heavy, un-aerodynamic metal cage on top of your car? I'd be very surprised if you didn't notice a big improvement in all these areas with it removed.

Don't worry , almost everyone has said the same thing and these were all issues before the roof rack. The rack is made from aluminum and I can easily lift it on my own.

I bet it weighs more than you think. Plus it is 'where' it is. Right at the top of the vehicle, way above its Centre of Gravity. It will essentially be acting like a pendulum when the vehicle changes direction.

If you truly had these problems prior to fitting the roof rack, then logically the only answers are:
1. There is something wrong/broken/misaligned on you particular vehicle
2. There never was a problem and the vehicle is 100% fine and it is all your perception and/or lack of familiarity with 4x4's

I'm not trying to be rude or knock your vehicle or experience. I just cannot relate even remotely to the points you say about the ride, handling and swaying side to side.

Is this your first 4x4 vehicle? Or more critically, is this your first live axle 4x4? And what are you comparing it to?

For instance, my p38 Range Rover (when on air factory air suspension) leans and rolls a lot more than the Jimny does. And on the flip side of this, I have also owned very low riding sports cars with firm suspension.

More
02 Jun 2020 08:38 - 02 Jun 2020 08:38 #223139 by mlines

Internal to Suzuki so no one has any numbers to quote.

bulletin Q-A6G-004

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 02 Jun 2020 08:38 by mlines.
The following user(s) said Thank You: B3Hulk, crash486

More
02 Jun 2020 08:41 #223140 by Busta

B3Hulk wrote:

Well it seems odd that you're the only one complaining of the exact noise issues that having lots of irregular shapes on an otherwise smooth surfaced car would cause. Small amounts of weight high up make quite a big difference, and it's a significant increase in the surface area of the car acted upon by wind. What's the weight of the rack, lightbar and awning combined? 15-20kg? That's not insignificant. Also the weight of the things you're carrying that require such a substantial rack must add up to a fair bit?
I see you've got wind deflectors too. I found them terrible for reducing visibility, and annoying when you need to stick your head out the window.
I'm not having a dig. I'm talking from experience as I've tried all these things myself. I had an aluminium roof cage but ended up giving it away because of the exact issues you describe, and it wasn't a practical way to carry things on the roof. Simple roof bars work much better. I gave the wind deflectors away too. They were a waste of money.

More
02 Jun 2020 15:30 #223147 by Scimike
You are all correct and have valid points. Everyone is different and so personal experiences will also differ, what is quite for one will be noisy for another etc. The human factor is what makes product comparisons like this near impossible, but it does make for interesting reading :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
02 Jun 2020 16:33 #223151 by Busta

Scimike wrote: You are all correct and have valid points. Everyone is different and so personal experiences will also differ, what is quite for one will be noisy for another etc. The human factor is what makes product comparisons like this near impossible, but it does make for interesting reading :laugh:

That's very true, but when one person is talking about a modified vehicle it's a completely different comparison altogether. It seems the majority are in agreement.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jun 2020 16:41 #223153 by Grima
As I posted, I own a 69 plate with no 1st gear rattle ( or i'm deaf ). What plate / year car do you own with the 1st gear trump?

More
02 Jun 2020 16:44 #223154 by Scimike
Yes it's a tough call and modifications are just another layer of complexity.
But it's still good to see everyone's views, good or bad.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds