BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Newbie Owner - 2010 Jimny in Fiji - Lift Question

• Reedje777
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2020 22:02 - 23 May 2020 22:22 #222756 by Reedje777
I'm not planning on doing any serious off roading just yet but I'd like a small lift for looks and tire selection. I'm thinking of going with a 50mm coil spacer lift. Cost is a significant factor.

First Q: If I do this, will the cheap shock extenders/spacers work fine on the stock gas shocks? How will this effect regular road driving?

Second Q: Will I need Caster Correction Bushes if I go this route? Would I really benefit from new bushes?

Thanks for the help for a total newb!

Edit: Wheel spacers... yea or nay?
Last edit: 23 May 2020 22:22 by Reedje777. Reason: another question

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 May 2020 04:59 #222761 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Spacers for lift are a viable alternative but do have limitations as you still have the original used components so the springs will have sagged and the dampers will be tired. Which means that the ride will be just the same but with a higher centre of gravity. Be aware that most people who fit spacers end up with a proper spring and dampers lift fairly quickly after so the value for money aspect is a bit debatable.

As for wheel spacers they're more hassle than they are worth because they put additional stress into the wheel bearings and kingpin bearings and significantly reduce their service life even with quite tame off road use. Wider and offset wheels are a better option but aren't perfect. It depends how much you like changing bearings.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 May 2020 06:10 #222764 by me101
Hi, I would agree with Lambert on the wheel spacers, will exaggerate the steering wobble! I have the spring spacers on mine, but actually replaced the shocks for longer ones (never fitted the shock spacers). Drives fine, and good articulation. My decision was cost driven if I'm honest.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w
Attachments:

• Reedje777
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2020 06:18 - 24 May 2020 06:19 #222765 by Reedje777
Yeah, cost is a big factor for me, as is the ability to get the parts here. Fiji is VERY hard to get parts to. The smaller the package the better the chance it'll make it. (It also helps if the package doesn't look valuable)

Ok, so no wheel spacers...

Thanks for the feedback!
Last edit: 24 May 2020 06:19 by Reedje777. Reason: clarity

More
24 May 2020 07:27 #222767 by sniper
Lift blocks are a bit of a compromise but if that's what you have got to do, they work and look fine. We all have to work to budgets at times.....

They are not worth stealing unless you specifically want them, let's hope they get to you.....

There were a few lads in the army from Fiji when I was messing about 30 years ago, maybe try and find one of them who is returning home on leave. See if they would bring them back for you, there would be no question of anything being hidden in them, solid poly blocks and small steel fabrications. No worries over smuggling. Try some of the military forums, I'm sure that they will have a hub to maintain contact with each other.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reedje777

Time to create page: 0.095 seconds