BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Dual battery relay issues

More
22 May 2020 17:53 #222679 by me101
Evening all. Got the second battery wired up today, but got some issues if any one can shed some light. All seems fine, both batteries seem to be charging, but I have 2 problems. 1) The engine management light has come on, 2) The split charge relay starts to click when you rev the engine. Any one had this before?
Cheers

www.clsdoncaster.com/my-blog

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2020 04:33 #222696 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Dual battery relay issues
I don't have a twin battery system but it should not do that. You have accounted for the Jimny being negative switching in how you have wired it up? It might help if you could do a napkin sketch of your wire connections then we can try and visualise the issue?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 May 2020 05:23 #222701 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Dual battery relay issues
Hi Lambert, I'm at work so can't do much, however, on this link there is a diagram (at the bottom of the page when you open it)
www.clsdoncaster.com/post/jimny-with-a-c...ing-a-second-battery
This is how I've wired it. Charges fine on tick over, but you can hear the relay going nuts when you apply revs.
Cheers

More
23 May 2020 08:15 #222718 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Dual battery relay issues
Hello,

I used a Victron Energy Cyrix Relais to avoid this. They have a time lag for connecting or disconnecting the batteries based on the voltage and there is a D+ connection To the Cyrix to make sure that the alternator charges before the batteries are connected.

In my case, I connected a 40Ah LiFePo4 as primary battery and the lead acid as second battery. This works with the Cyrix-Li-ct.

I attach some pictures, including the plug where I got the D+.

This is not too expensive and works nicely. Hopefully this might help you.
Attachments:

More
23 May 2020 09:19 #222722 by me101
Thanks RainerK, don't want to be buying new bits if I can help it. This build is new parts only when I need to, rest is stuff out my garage! This was a relatively cheap (and I assumed simple) kit, just need to know if it is normal behavior or if I have done something stupid (again!)
Cheers

The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
23 May 2020 10:26 #222725 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Dual battery relay issues
Ok, then I cannot help you with hands on experience.

What I think happens is:

Something makes your relay close at under certain conditions - from what you write I would expect that this is based on the voltage of the main battery.

If the voltage gets over e.g., 14V the second battery is connected.

As soon as the second battery is connected, the Second battery starts charging and voltage drops below 14V because the second battery is not full.

The voltage drop makes the relais open again.

Then there is another round.

To prevent this the controlling of the relay would have to be adapted in either of 2 possibilities:
Either a time lag so that there is some time before the connection is opened again after closing this gives the second battery some time to charge. If this time lag would be 60 seconds, then the relay might switch on and off 20 times until the second battery is charged again. Or a bigger difference between the voltages that close and open the relay, e.g., close at 14V and open at 12.5V. In this case you would have to measure the actual voltages of your car with an empty second battery.

Or you do it manually with some switch. As soon as the main battery is charged you connect the second battery and disconnect it again after it is fully charged. This might be the easiest and cheapest solution - just do forget to disconnect when you turn off you car and run the fridge connected to the second battery over night.

Generally, make sure that the ampere rating of your battery connection relay is somewhat higher than the maximum ampere of the alternator because After connections the second battery there is not only the Energy of the alternator but also some from the main battery.

I hope this helps you a little.

More
23 May 2020 10:34 #222726 by me101
Thanks, will have to look at some sort of delay if I can, don't want to go down the route of manual switching, I'll forget. The relay is 200amp, so should be more than sufficient for this purpose.
Cheers

More
23 May 2020 15:27 #222743 by me101
Hi - quick update. Finished work and turned Little Jim on and let it sit on tick over for half an hour. Went to check on it, and it now there are no clicks from the relay. Can rev it gently, of harshly, and there is no noise. So my theory is, the batteries have now equalized, or the 2nd battery has stopped charging!! Still doesn't explain the EML being on. Unfortunate coincidence?

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds