BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Limp mode loss of power 05 plaste

• Cornthwaite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2020 15:39 #222671 by Cornthwaite
Limp mode loss of power 05 plaste was created by Cornthwaite
I've got a 05 plate jimny that has a intermittent power loss issue, it suddenly loses power but will still run ropie if i pull over and turn it on anf off a few times it revs up and away i go...at mot it failed its emissions but they kindly passed it:) its had a new lamba sensor because that wasnt working.any ideas anyone..thanks in advance

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2020 17:23 #222675 by Scimike
If you have a new Lambda and it still failed emissions it suggests a possible fault with the catalytic converter (CAT). I would expect a possible CO fail on emissions, but with a fail on HC as well if this was the case. Don't know why it has a power loss unless the CAT is blocked. I assume you don't have any warning lights on when you loose power?
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cornthwaite

• Cornthwaite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2020 17:27 #222676 by Cornthwaite
Replied by Cornthwaite on topic Limp mode loss of power 05 plaste
no warning lights or engine light no codes, did have but it said was the air flow so changed that still doing it but now no codes on reader

• Cornthwaite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2020 17:48 #222678 by Cornthwaite
it can do it when its cold or hot on a short run or longish run. inbetween doing it it runs fine but i do think it has lost some pulling power.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2020 04:28 #222695 by Lambert
As above this sounds like a catalytic matrix disintegrating and causing a significant flow restriction.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
23 May 2020 07:30 #222714 by kirkynut
Get a cheap code reader if it's a twin cam (soft tops of this era might have a single cam) and check for codes, then report back.

Given the severity of the problem with no engine management light I'm in the blocked Cat camp too.

When this happens the exhaust can't escape, so from your suck, squeeze, bang blow, it can't blow, so there's no room for it to suck into as that space it still occupied by the exhaust gas that should have been blown. In effect its choking itself.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Cornthwaite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2020 11:03 #222727 by Cornthwaite
Hi Gents
my code reader doesnt give any faults. :(
is there any way of testing the cats theres one on the manifold and one underneath..

Many Many Thanks for your help Gents

Mark

More
23 May 2020 11:26 #222728 by jackonlyjack
+1 on cat or possibly the rear exhaust silencer collapsed internally
also crank sensor failure = no code given

More
23 May 2020 11:50 - 23 May 2020 11:53 #222732 by Scimike
Hi,
I don't know of a way of testing the CAT other than during emissions, a pass Hydrocarbon result even with a failed Lambda and CO fail usually indicates the CAT is working, but it's still no guarantee.
I have seen reports on here that the first manifold CAT starts to disintegrate and the particles block the second exhaust CAT, usually resulting in power loss and the inability to rev the engine. It was also indicated that the Jimny will pass emissions with the manifold CAT removed, but I can't confirm this.
I guess you could remove the second CAT and see if any debris falls out. Depending upon circumstances it may even be possible to run without the exhaust CAT temporarily to see it anything improves, same with the rear silencer.
Exhaust CATs are about £70 on eBay etc and I've not read anything that would stop me fitting one. Infact my current one is aftermarket (paid more from exhaust place) and it's the same as eBay offerings, it's lasting well and passes emissions.

If you know someone local with a Jimny I wonder if you could compare exhaust "blow" to see if yours is less? May not be perceivable difference as it tends to build and restrict at higher RPM. Difficult to be 100% sure, sorry.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 23 May 2020 11:53 by Scimike.

• Cornthwaite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2020 09:50 #222802 by Cornthwaite
I,ve got a full system coming from scotland, i'll let you know what the outcome is when the full system is changed, both cats and silencer....

• Cornthwaite
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Jun 2020 14:48 #223606 by Cornthwaite
there was no difference when new exhaust was fitted including both cats and silencer box, a friend rang me and said get the coil packs replaced, so ordered the pair off ebay for £38 and its fixed no limp mode problems and pulling a lot better up hills etc etc ,,,well happy:) i've been on several runs now 100k + and running like a dream

More
15 Jun 2020 17:21 #223611 by Scimike
Thanks for the feedback, it's always good to know the results so we can help others. Sorry it did not turn out to be the Cat, but it's always guess work if the ECU won't throw out a fault code. Pleased it's all sorted and you.

Mike

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds