BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor

• Lasse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 13:26 #222481 by Lasse
Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor was created by Lasse
Now that the debate rages on the suspension and lift topic then let’s see what people recommend and maybe why...
Trailmaster 50mm lift or Black raptor premium 50mm lift?

Or perhaps a third brand!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 May 2020 13:54 #222482 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
Jimny Doctor has just fitted a +50mm Black Raptor kit and was very complimentary about it..... said it was better than the X-shock Dakar kit that he had previously fitted.

Trailmaster is reviewed well and recognised as a quality kit.

AVO adjustable dampers +50mm and Eibach prolift +30mm springs with 15mm seats on my car and very happy.

sniper

• Lasse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 14:16 #222483 by Lasse
Replied by Lasse on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
Nice Sniper

Ups forgot to add that it for the Gen 4 ! Hehe

More
18 May 2020 15:35 #222485 by 300bhpton
I have no personal experience of either. However it is clear from the specs that the Trailmaster offers more front end flex/suspension travel. As it includes items to drop the front crossmember, where the Trailmaster does not. It instead uses shorter front shocks and long bump stops to restrict travel.

Personally I will be getting the Black Raptor kit, just waiting for things to return to normal a bit more first however.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 May 2020 16:48 #222494 by Lambert
I have standard height trailmaster dampers on Dreadnaught and they're immense. So so good well worth the hundred quid a corner.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 May 2020 17:22 #222497 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
If you are dead set on a 50mm lift, then this will be no good for you. I have just had the Old Man Emu (OME) 40mm lift kit delivered last week. Not fitted it yet, but I know two people that give it excellent reviews on there Gen4's. It doesn't come with a front cross-member kit as it's probably not needed for 40mm, but it does come with a rear panhard bracket to realign that.

More
18 May 2020 18:30 #222502 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
My 2 pence worth...
Trailmaster are a well established and well respected company that have been making their own products to a very high standard for a number of years. They are fully type approved. I've never heard a bad word about them.
Black Raptor first came to my attention a few years ago with some badly aligned stickers stuck on some generic shocks. They don't have a website. Their name is very similar to an existing 4x4 parts brand, but they aren't associated in any way. Very little information is available about their products or the brand.

Which will perform better? I have no idea, but I know where I'd rather spend my money.

• Lasse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 18:42 #222503 by Lasse
Well i see Your point.!

But am i right that when you see the Jimny From a side view it look like the front is sits lower than back when fitted with the Trailmaster 50mm kit..

Must say I’m going for the slight raised look rather the ultimate flex..!

More
18 May 2020 19:06 #222506 by 300bhpton

Busta wrote: My 2 pence worth...
Trailmaster are a well established and well respected company that have been making their own products to a very high standard for a number of years. They are fully type approved. I've never heard a bad word about them.
Black Raptor first came to my attention a few years ago with some badly aligned stickers stuck on some generic shocks. They don't have a website. Their name is very similar to an existing 4x4 parts brand, but they aren't associated in any way. Very little information is available about their products or the brand.

Which will perform better? I have no idea, but I know where I'd rather spend my money.

I believe Black Raptor is Jimnybits kit. At least that is what they told me. They shocks they spec from a shock maker and kit is built to their design/spec.

More
18 May 2020 19:11 #222508 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor
If you saw the Trailmaster "before" video you will have seen

82cm rear arch to ground
79cm front arch to ground
98cm door handle base to ground (probably 97.5cm after reviewing the video again)

After lift (which has not been published yet)

87cm rear arch to ground = +50mm
83.5cm front arch to ground = +45mm
102cm door handle base to ground = +45mm (as corrected above).

If the wheel arch measurements are correct and the front and rear wheel arches are lined up, then it is 3cm lower at the front in its unmodified version anyway

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
18 May 2020 19:19 #222509 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Trailmaster vs. Black Raptor

Busta wrote: My 2 pence worth...

"Black Raptor" Is indeed a JimnyBits brand... RLP (Russell Lee Palmer) Engineering / 4x4 Outlet... all one and the same...

• Lasse
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 May 2020 19:32 #222511 by Lasse
Maybe it’s just some bad angles or whatever but those two looks a lot lower in the front..! Sorry for the bad pics it’s screenshots from YouTube..!
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds