BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Chinese Extended Wheel Arches

More
09 May 2020 10:18 #222046 by Rabid Rhino
Until last year all there was on eBay were these "bubble" arches, which I wasn't too keen on

Then along can the "slash cut" arches that I thought were brilliant as they seemed to genuinely allow for bigger tyres...

Then I saw them on a car with aftermarket Chinese bumpers like on my Jimny...

OK on the front...

Gopping on the rear. Designed for narrower Japanese vehicles,

There's a huge gap between the top front courner of the rear bumper and the back courner of the rear arch an there's the difference wth the door panel.

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2020 10:29 #222047 by Rabid Rhino
So...

Is anyone still selling the cheap Chinese ones or am I going to have to buy genuine brand ones ?

Like these from Alaplast

Or these Cut Snake ones

They do seem to fit the after market bumpers better
&
Look almost stock painted

Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:

More
09 May 2020 10:36 #222048 by jackonlyjack
Yes these arches where for the jb23
Could be made to fit nice if you chopped your rear bumper
Then re fabricate the corners to suit,then remove the trim off your doors

More
09 May 2020 11:14 #222050 by Keithy
I just sold a pair of corners to tidy the rear of one with the chinese arches on......don't burst the bubble wrap....chinese air!

Attachments:

More
09 May 2020 12:10 - 09 May 2020 12:12 #222052 by Rabid Rhino
Guys, sorry I should have said that I already have Chinese front & rear metal bumpers.
Front one is quite thin BUT the rear !!!!! It's made of repurposed Irn Bru Scottish Girders. I ain't cutting that again plus it cost me a fortune so not willing to hack it about any more than I already did just to make it fit.

Not quite there on the front at the time but much better now.

But I'm looking for this kind of flush fit finish just a bid wider for bigger wheels & tyres.

Which is why I want the bubble style.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 May 2020 12:12 by Rabid Rhino. Reason: Edit

More
09 May 2020 12:41 #222053 by Rabid Rhino
Cut Snake: £399 + UK postage.
Ala-Plast: €221 + postage from Poland. About £200 total so half of Cut Snake but sill a bit rich for my Suzuki purist (cheapskate) pocket...

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
09 May 2020 15:22 #222060 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Chinese Extended Wheel Arches
I had the alaplast ones on my last Jimny. They were a pain to fit and took a lot of cutting and fiddling to get to a point I was happy with. They needed further trimming to accommodate the progressively larger tyres I fitted to the car when I had it.

The pic is with 235/75r15 tyres on...

I know the cut snake ones are expensive, but they do look a much better product.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

More
10 May 2020 01:09 #222083 by Rabid Rhino
Riccy, cheers for that.
The Ala-plast arches seem to have a smoother glossier finish that I think will look better painted or in my case, hopefully wrapped.
The Cut Snake looks like it has a much rougher texture.

What were yours made of ?
How were they fitted to the car ? Did you have to drill holes into the wings ?
Did you use the riubber edging strips they offer ?
How much wider were they ?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
10 May 2020 06:15 #222087 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Chinese Extended Wheel Arches
The alaplast ones I had were 'pinseal' texture 2mm ABS plastic. Im pretty sure they would have been made with a vac forming machine like Keithy's. They were pretty tough. A incident with a tight lane put a few scratches on but didnt crack them.

They were not as smooth or as shiny as in their pics, but could be sanded and painted to get that smooth if you want. I dont know about wrapping, that wouldnt have lasted long for me :laugh: I suspect the cutsnake ones are also ABS vac formed (most economical way to produce this sort of thing). At their price you might be able to request a different finish on the plastic, or even a different colour plastic.

The alaplast ones were fitted by using rubber 'top-hat' fittings (similar to rivnuts, but a bit flexible to stop rattles). These require drilling new holes into the bodywork. I had to buy some extra plastic from ebay to increase the width of them at the lower points, directly above the wheel they are about 100mm, so will replace the old flares adding about 50mm (but only directly above). The extra plastic was to try and cut down the mud up the sides of the car.

I did also use the rubber trim they offer (that works well for a neat edge to the bodywork).

On the current car I have some of Keithy's arches at the front and they are a much better fit. The steel bumper I have is similar to yours so they might work well for you. The rear I have is a pickup, so totally different, but Keith's might suit you better there too?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds