BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Ironman4x4 front bumper/bullbar - 4th Gen

More
04 May 2020 12:59 #221877 by 300bhpton
Anyone know anything about these?

Spotted in a mag the other month. And supposed to be carried by westcoastoffroad (westcoastoffroad.co.uk/). Although nothing on their website as of yet. Have also emailed them about 4 weeks back, but no reply.

Suspect they will be pricey looking at the other Ironman4x4 bumpers offer. But there doesn't seem much offered for the Jimny currently.

They offer two styles according to the Ironman4x4 site. They look quite similar just the top bar is different. Although visually they have quite a different impact. Not sure which I prefer. If/when Westcoast get back to me and assuming the pricing is the same as the others I think I will be getting one of these. I do quite like the ARB offering, but can't seem to get any sense from them or their UK agent. And all the other bumpers seem to be S. Africa or Australasia.

www.ironman4x4.com/products/deluxe-comme...cial-deluxe-bull-bar

www.ironman4x4.com/products/deluxe-comme...mny-special-bull-bar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2020 15:11 #221880 by DAGZOOK
More importantly, what are the rules with Bull bars in the UK? I was under the impression that they're illegal from safety perspective UNLESS the car left the show room with an 'E' marked OE bull bar.

Agreed they look awesome and I'd love one on the JIM- but I'm sure the safety wombles will have their way. After all I wouldn't want to be hit by one at 30mph.

My family in AUS have them fitted to both their vehicles, the government actually encourages it due to Wildlife running across the highways. Amazing how the rules differ country to country.

More
04 May 2020 15:13 #221881 by 300bhpton
Should be fine. Not really hugely different to the bumper on my Land Rover.

More
  • Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 May 2020 17:01 #221885 by Lambert
A steel bumper is acceptable if and only it has an e mark. Unless... it can be considered as a mounting solution for an additional component such as a winch. However a bumper that incorporates a frontal protection system regardless of being a winch mount has to be e marked because of the damage caused to pedestrians. Other than that the one in the picture looks very heavy?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 May 2020 17:30 #221887 by Bill Portland
Automotive engineers go to incredible lengths to design in safety features such as crumple zones and, particularly, pedestrian friendly and life saving soft and rounded plastic bits. Anything that prevents these designs working effectively shouldn't be on the road imho.

More
04 May 2020 17:51 #221888 by DAGZOOK
I agree Bill, The UK is far to densely populated. It's not the vast open space that Australia is! More people are killed out there from traffic incidents involving wildlife (mainly roo's) than there are from pedestrian accidents. At most I'd fit a steel bumper much like the defender - but wouldn't go full hog and fit a bull bar. Even then, I'm sure insurance companies/police would throw the book at you if you were involved in a bad incident.

More
04 May 2020 22:23 #221896 by 300bhpton

Bill Portland wrote: Automotive engineers go to incredible lengths to design in safety features such as crumple zones and, particularly, pedestrian friendly and life saving soft and rounded plastic bits. Anything that prevents these designs working effectively shouldn't be on the road imho.

Utter nonsense. If you truly believed that, then you wouldn't have a 4x4 or think buses, lorries and vans should be on the road either.

More
04 May 2020 22:25 #221897 by 300bhpton

Lambert wrote: A steel bumper is acceptable if and only it has an e mark. Unless... it can be considered as a mounting solution for an additional component such as a winch. However a bumper that incorporates a frontal protection system regardless of being a winch mount has to be e marked because of the damage caused to pedestrians. Other than that the one in the picture looks very heavy?

That isn't what Dagzooks link above your post says..... :whistle:

More
04 May 2020 22:29 #221898 by 300bhpton

DAGZOOK wrote: I agree Bill, The UK is far to densely populated. It's not the vast open space that Australia is! More people are killed out there from traffic incidents involving wildlife (mainly roo's) than there are from pedestrian accidents. At most I'd fit a steel bumper much like the defender - but wouldn't go full hog and fit a bull bar. Even then, I'm sure insurance companies/police would throw the book at you if you were involved in a bad incident.

So re you saying someone with a 1997 Discovery and a factory fitted bullbar should no longer be on the roads??? If not, what additional risk is there driving a Jimny on the same roads with a HD bumper?? I mean come on, little bit of common sense needs to be applied here... :silly:

Or maybe I should also stop driving the farm tractors through the village/local town too, the weights on the front and 7 tonnes unladen will do a heck of a lot more damage at 30mph than 1 ton Jimny.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 May 2020 04:25 #221902 by Lambert

300bhpton wrote:

Lambert wrote: A steel bumper is acceptable if and only it has an e mark. Unless... it can be considered as a mounting solution for an additional component such as a winch. However a bumper that incorporates a frontal protection system regardless of being a winch mount has to be e marked because of the damage caused to pedestrians. Other than that the one in the picture looks very heavy?

That isn't what Dagzooks link above your post says..... :whistle:

It's exactly what the link says. The link refers to bull bar or frontal protection systems as in a device that is intended to protect a vehicle in the event of a collision. This is entirely separate from a device designed specifically to carry an additional component ie. a winch bumper. As i said, a heavy steel bumper without a winch is bad, just like a winch bumper with an integrated set of bars to protect the rest of the front of the vehicle is bad. As to what will do more damage in a collision that entirely depends upon the kinetic energy involved, a tractor driver at 30mph has more time to react than a Jimny driver doing 60mph and therefore a better chance of being able to stop or significantly reduce the the energy involved.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 May 2020 04:45 #221904 by DAGZOOK
"There are no plans for legislation to require bull bars that are already fitted to be removed. However, since 25 May 2007, it has been an offence for bull bars that have not been approved as compliant with those safety standards to be sold. Approved devices will carry an indelible ‘e’ mark (for example: e1 01 1471)."

As above, there's noting wrong with OE equipment protective bull bars fitted. (I think the genuine defender bull/winch bar has An outer foam/rubber lining?

But it's illegal to retrospectively install anything that isn't 'E' marked, You'd be changing the design intent of the vehicle which has been rigorously crash tested.

Time to create page: 0.179 seconds