BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Old wheeler dealers episode!

More
22 Apr 2020 07:38 #221366 by Fossie
So at midnight last night /this morning..an old episode of wheeler dealers , and I mean old, Ed China looked like a teenager and eBay was in its infancy .
Mike Brewer wanted to build a 4x4 Greenlaner on a budget. So bought an SJ410 for £250 with a bad misfire .But was straight and looked sound.
It was on a C plate 1986 ...
Ed checked compression bought another engine for £150 and went on about how easy it was to work on these machines , they bought axles and wheels with lift kits fitted for £520 , repainted it satin black , fitted a roll age for £500!took it for an MOT ...which it failed miserably on welding , which would take days to sort so not viable monetary ......* times were correct at times of filming ....not viewing;) ;)
They sold it for £500 to a Greenlaner with out MOT.
Seems a current story, though why they didn't sort any rot while fitting new engine and axles is bizarre.
Sorry can't link it but it'll be on YouTube if you ain't seen it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2020 08:37 #221367 by Scimike
I was also unable to sleep and watched the program. It was strange they did not look at for any rot, you could see some of the holes as they cut the rear floor in order to fit the roll cage. As you say it was early days of the program, so it's possible they did not have the funds or time to tackle any issues found. Interesting watching it drive around the farm track at the end, it looked a real handful, possibly a result of the modifications. They needed the roll cage just to let the handbrake off :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
22 Apr 2020 08:51 #221368 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic Old wheeler dealers episode!
I watched that episode and thought it a bit odd that they didn't start with a vehicle that had the potential to be roadworthy, given that thats the point of the programme.

There are other episodes with 4x4s that are pretty good. G-wagon, Jeep, panda 4x4 but I found the landrover episodes a bit dull!

More
22 Apr 2020 12:48 #221374 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Old wheeler dealers episode!
I think it is a bizarre episode too. I do not like SPOA and the SJ where you can see rust a mile off if there is any so strange they started at all.

Agree on the land rover episode too, and they did a land cruiser as well and chose solutions badly.

My impression is that they simply don't know how to with a 4x4.

Otherwise a great show though.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
22 Apr 2020 16:36 #221387 by DAGZOOK
A family friend featured on that show, he bought the blue Lotus Esprit. I think it was much later (season 5 ish) the show was fairly mature by that point. He spoiled my innocent outlook of the show; It was far worse than being told Father Christmas isn't real..

The prices that they buy and sell the cars for are totally fictional - completely made up for the camera's (He bought the lotus Esprit for far less than it sold for on the TV show - but was told to play along for the benefit of us lot).

The work that they do in the shop is genuine though, although the time stated for completion is probably fictional. Not sure whether Mr China undertakes all of the work either...... and they never factor the countless hours of labour into the overhaul costs. .

I've probably crushed a load of dreams with this post - please don't send the Lynch Mob or ban me from the forum!! :whistle: :whistle:

More
22 Apr 2020 20:17 #221394 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Old wheeler dealers episode!
Nahh for some projects that is pretty obvious :) Still it's mostly entertainment..

For me the most annoying thing is the poor norwegian translation.
The robot(?) that translates has no car or tech knowledge at all.
All the technology and engineering shows on Discovery are destroyed by this.
Soon to cancel all linear TV subscriptions anyways.
Tired of the ads so better spent money on streaming or something completely different.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
23 Apr 2020 14:25 #221423 by Reason2doubt

More
25 Apr 2020 22:07 #221502 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Old wheeler dealers episode!
Aye seems to be ...

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds