BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof cargo platform for Jimny.

More
20 Apr 2020 11:15 #221301 by Reason2doubt
Great to get the kit up on the roof and keep it out the way; any reasons not to are honestly negligible.

I do laugh when I see Jimny's filled to the brim in the back with two adults stuffed in the front - it's like they are using the Jim to move house :P

Any opportunity to not play Tetris in the back of the small Jimny is a bonus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2020 12:04 #221302 by Keithy

latenigh wrote: Do you mean like this?

No....that'd be longitudinally the other way side to side.

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2020 17:57 #221313 by latenigh
Replied by latenigh on topic Roof cargo platform for Jimny.
I just like to be prepared to help myself or others.
If I, on my way to work, see someone who need a tow or what not, then I pull over.

When on camping/fishing trips it is me and my three kids in the Jimny. So there is so not much space left but the roof.

The roads that we travel are narrow and bumpy. The speeds on these roads vary. But mostly walking and jogging speed.
But we get to where we are going.

I have not been troubled when branches gets stuck in my old roof rack. I just bring out my saw.

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Apr 2020 18:13 #221316 by latenigh
@Keithy

As you might see in this picture the roof is not a flat surface on the Jimny. Why would I weld crossbars laterally between the legs?
For the looks?

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Apr 2020 04:10 - 21 Apr 2020 04:18 #221326 by Lambert
Because at the minute your legs are unsupported laterally from the inside and with sufficient dynamic load will twist the side bars and cause a fatigue failure. It needs cross bars between the legs at the main hoop level so that the legs are continuous over the width.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 21 Apr 2020 04:18 by Lambert.

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2020 05:55 #221331 by latenigh
@Lambert

I would rather reinforce, than add two crossbars.

Keep in mind that the boxes are a part of the supporting? (do not know if it's the right word) construction.
The boxes are bolted to the frame with 6 pcs of M6 each.

The frame is built with 25x25x2 steel. And I have reinforced the four legs with pieces of 15x5mm steel.

Attachments:

More
21 Apr 2020 17:41 #221355 by Busta

Reason2doubt wrote: Great to get the kit up on the roof and keep it out the way; any reasons not to are honestly negligible.

I do laugh when I see Jimny's filled to the brim in the back with two adults stuffed in the front - it's like they are using the Jim to move house :P

Any opportunity to not play Tetris in the back of the small Jimny is a bonus.

Can't say I've seen many Jimny's like that. But doesn't it make sense to use the space you have available? There are a few 4x4s around my way that drive around 365 days a year with a roof tent on the roof. And countless 4x4s with roofracks that never have anything on them, or perhaps a couple of really heavy things like the spare wheel that normally lives on the back door, a high lift jack that isn't compatible with their plastic bumpers and the obligatory row of lights, all pointing the same direction, and all above the drivers eyeline so they don't actually help when driving. I find that psuedo-preparedness pretty funny. The deisre to look like you are going on a big important adventure, when everyone knows they are just going to the shops.
For me the main advantage of putting things inside a car is they are protected by the body of the car. E.g. they don't get wet when it rains, covered in mud, stolen, weathered, they can't fall or get knocked off and you can access them without a ladder. And the other advantage on a narrow, top heavy car like a Jimny is the weight is down low so it still drives relatively normally. I save the roof space for things that don't fit, like kayaks, canoes or long pieces of wood. My recovery kit, winch and worklight all live in the car.

I get that if you have lots of people in the car there isn't much space left for things, but surely a roof-box is the sensible option? They are light, spacious, easy to access and quick to install and remove. Whilst it's clear a lot of time and craftsmanship has gone into it's construction, 50kg+ of hernia inducing metalwork semi-permanently attached to the top of a tall thing that is only supposed to have 30kg on it seems a very OTT, borderline dangerous, solution to a very simple problem. If it was a support vehicle for a continent-crossing adventure then I'd sort of get it.

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Apr 2020 19:47 #221359 by latenigh
Even though you believe a roof-box is the most sensible option, wouldn't you agree that what you believe to be the most senible option, isn't always the way you want to go.

Wouldn't the world be a doll place if everyone did the most sensible thing?

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Apr 2020 06:33 #221365 by latenigh
@Lambert

What if I added a bar like this. That would decrease stress on the legs from accelerating and retardation.

I also added two mounts for additional Quick fists, on the other side of the boxes.

Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Apr 2020 04:12 #221404 by Lambert
It spreads the load certainly but it is still acting on the edge bars in the same manner. As a load is applied to the frame vertically downward the legs are still going to react by twisting the upward and placing their joint to the outer bar into torsion. Add in the dynamic action of driving especially on uneven surfaces and it will become a stress riser and cause fatigue failure. The legs need to be considered as a continuous lateral hoop between the mounting points with the rest of the frame as a secondary support system for whatever load is applied. The only way not to do that is to have the feet directly under the perimeter ring beam in line with the applied load.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• latenigh
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Apr 2020 17:19 #221431 by latenigh
When I drew this design on paper, I wanted to use the boxes I had and the material I had (steel 25*25*2mm).
I wanted to use as little material as possible due to the Jimnys roof load limitations.
And also cut the corners 45 degrees for the led working lights mostly for the looks.
This design is what I came up with.

With the reinforced legs, and maybe I'll add the 45degrees bars to the legs, my guess is this will endure the stress.

I have access to a handheld device with x-ray that we use to inspect our welding of steam and food piping.

I'm thinking that I will stress this design this summer and autumn, and inspect the welding this winter.

More
23 Apr 2020 18:37 #221435 by Keithy
You're leaving the original bars on?

Your car.....
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds