BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Alternator belt snapped

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2020 06:48 #221021 by jfkenpoman
Alternator belt snapped was created by jfkenpoman
Just got into work noticed lights dimming and battery light on, checked and the alternator belt snapped, overflow bottle came off mounting and sprayed contents on engine. Will I be able to drive jimny home, 25 miles if I top up overflow bottle. I've just had the water pump replaced and a belt changed but haven't driven it for a couple of weekdue to being ill. Now back at work.
Regards
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2020 08:10 #221025 by jackonlyjack

More
13 Apr 2020 08:30 #221026 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Alternator belt snapped
Even with a fully charged battery, don't think you would get home with no alternator.

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
13 Apr 2020 08:49 #221028 by jackonlyjack
Lack of water being pumped round is the major issue
cooked engine = _____ engine :(

More
13 Apr 2020 10:07 #221030 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Alternator belt snapped
Didn't think of that, thought that was on the other belt!

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

More
13 Apr 2020 11:02 - 13 Apr 2020 11:05 #221032 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Alternator belt snapped
You will be surprised how far you can travel without an alternator so long as you turn everything you can off. 25 miles is no problem, and it should easily keep an engine running for a few hours. I traveled around France with a chap on a Yamaha TDM with a failed alternator, we strapped a car battery to the rack and charged it each night to keep him going. Thinking about it, was this possible the first plug in hybrid :laugh:
That said, this nugget of info is no help as 25 miles without cooling is too much to ask.
Time for a tow or road side repair.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 11:05 by Scimike.

• walesy
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2020 13:49 - 13 Apr 2020 13:52 #221036 by walesy
Replied by walesy on topic Alternator belt snapped
Been there. about 2 miles with no belt if you're lucky. Country lane no traffic. Had to get it recovered the night before. Drove it to my local garage for new pulley and belts the next morning. Needle was heading into the red when i got there.
Was the old belt squealing before it snapped. Could be the crankshaft pulley causing the belt to snap.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2020 13:52 by walesy.

More
14 Apr 2020 07:26 #221060 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Alternator belt snapped
Obviously you've got home now ...or wild camping!
My reason for reply is just that this happened a few times to my daughters Jimny, she made it home every time . Every time another item was checked in the belt system...finally it turned out to be the alternator, it charged fine seemed ok but eventually we found that a bearing in it had siezed meaning the belt dragged the pulley rather than pulled it....an external inspection of the belt looked fine but underside burnt and worn.

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2020 08:55 #221262 by jfkenpoman
Replied by jfkenpoman on topic Alternator belt snapped
morning guys, sorry its taken so long to reply very long days at work not been on pc. so had the jimny taken to garage on bank holiday, good news, luckily I didn't cook the engine, bad news the alternator would spin upon startup however after about 10 minutes of running was seizing up, causing the belt to spin, get hot and then actually melting before actually braking. so a lot of money later I now have a working jeep, new belts, alternator, and new water pump...…..hopefully all good . ive ben to work for the last 5 days in the jinmy 40 miles a day, levels all constant, happy but skint man

More
19 Apr 2020 14:00 #221268 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Alternator belt snapped
Thanks for taking the time to report back, pleased it's now sorted.
Interesting that its the alternator, in my limited time on the forum it's now 50/50 on belt failure being caused by the rubberised bottom pulley and alternator. Definitely worth knowing.
All the best
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Apr 2020 14:22 #221269 by jfkenpoman
Replied by jfkenpoman on topic Alternator belt snapped
thats exactly what happened to mine, all hopefully helping out others if it occurs with their jimny

More
19 Apr 2020 15:41 #221272 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Alternator belt snapped
My alternator seized up a couple of times, right after start-up.

Drop the belt and it was free to turn by hand.

Turns out it was rust! The stator goes rusty, and bits flake off. When the alternator starts and tries to run full chat, it attracts the flakes into the gap between stator & rotor, and jams it. Cut the power and you can turn it by hand.

When it went round it charged fine, so it seemed a bit of a waste to replace it, but I did and it was no more trouble- until the bottom pulley fell apart a couple of years later.....

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds