BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Buzzweld war underbody

• mic888
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
08 Apr 2020 19:45 #220823 by mic888
Buzzweld war underbody was created by mic888
Hi, has anyone used buzzweld WAR underbody kit. Iv been looking at the best way to protect the underbody of the jimny after i have finished the rest of the welding and this buzzweld war seems to be the best bet you apply a encapsulator/ primer then apply the top coat. I was thinking of removing the axles and fuel tank for ease of cleaning the chassis and underbody and applying. Also was considering removing the factory stonchip stuff out of the arches as it seems to hold the water behind it and cause rust
Thanks mic
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Apr 2020 04:28 #220832 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Buzzweld war underbody
While I don't doubt the effectiveness of buzzweld products there are that many of them that knowing which is the best for any given application is a bit too confusing. Personally I would use upol raptor as it seems to be a much simpler option. Ultimately though it's all about the level of surface preparation that you do.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Apr 2020 09:02 #220838 by Jimny Dr
Replied by Jimny Dr on topic Buzzweld war underbody
The main point in rust proofing is trying to get all the rust as clean is you possibly can.
I tend to use a bare metal etch primer first applied with a spray gun where possible and brush where not .
I use quite a bit of raptor in my trade and it’s about the best I’m opinion protection you can give but very messy to use.
We are doing our own truck at the min and have gone for clean rust as much as we can, brushed etched and then brushed silver hamerite paint
And it’s looks good. When fully built it will be shown a coating of waxoyle and I think that’s the best any one can do
The doc
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Max Headroom

More
09 Apr 2020 19:05 #220868 by jackonlyjack

More
10 Apr 2020 08:00 #220886 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Buzzweld war underbody
POR 15 do an awesome top coat/chassis paint.

I wouldn't recommend their 'direct onto rust paint' its a glorified hammertite. But the strength/resilience of their top coat is impressive. It's polyurethane based, similar to the raptor coating but easier to brush on by hand.

More
10 Apr 2020 09:17 - 10 Apr 2020 09:25 #220888 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Buzzweld war underbody

^^^^^^ +1 for POR products, they are very good but a little expensive.

I have used buzzweld RCP on our Jimny and it's very good, but it still benefits from removing as much rust as possible, treating any remaining with a converter, and application of a top cost over RCP.

My experience differs with the POR 15 direct to rust product, it's the best available in my opinion. However it does come with a list of requirements for its application, which means you can't just slap it on. This makes it not the best product for large intricate areas, so even I would not consider it for rust on a Jimny chassis or body, hence why I used buzzweld.

Don't forget the bits you can't paint, inside the chassis and mount sections. After all the painting get the wax gun out and spray some protection inside these areas. It's another can of worms as to the best product, but I favour black waxoyl as underbody protection and Dinatrol for inside box sections etc.

Have fun, is a messy job.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 10 Apr 2020 09:25 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds