BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Help needed - Jimnybits radius arm guards??

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2020 17:50 - 02 Apr 2020 17:52 #220596 by Andy2640
Hi everyone! Hope you are well, or at least content in these surreal times.

Ive got some arm guards here, but im worried about fitting them, becuase of the possibilty of the arms themselves moving once the bolt is taken out. Worried i wont get them aligned again once they move.

I dont have axle stands, only x2 wheels ramps and x2 jacks.

Do i need to place the car on stands, or is it alright to just use a jack under the arm itself.

Earlier i did a bit of a test, where i jacked under the arm to take the weight, and just wiggled the bolt in and out (without going the full hog and pulling it out) and it was moving quite freely.

Scratch noggin time.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2020 17:52 by Andy2640.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2020 18:06 #220598 by Scimike
Hi Andy,

If things move you can use a ratchet strap around the axle tube move things forward / rearward and a jack under the arm for up / down, it's an old trick when aligning the cart springs on old Land Rovers. Please note this has nothing to do with supporting the vehicle, just movement of the arm.

As an aside, do you need to support the vehicle when you remove the bolt? Just chock all four wheels to prevent movement of the axles and do one guard at a time. I can't think why you would need any support or need to lift on a jack. Please correct my ignorance if I am wrong.

Interested in the replies also.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Apr 2020 18:19 #220600 by Lambert
Yes you chock all the wheels front and back and let the vehicle support itself on its wheels. Obviously you have to be on the flat and level as best as possible that way the axles can't move relatively. Quite simple and as Mike says a ratchet strap can pull or push as needed.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2020 19:15 #220607 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Help needed - Jimnybits radius arm guards??
Thats just what i wanted to hear. Thank you so much chaps! :) :) :) :)

More
02 Apr 2020 21:20 #220609 by Johnniehec
Yes as level as you can, chock all wheels front and back and do one at a time. You can put a big screwdriver in from the other side as you pull the bolt out.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

More
03 Apr 2020 08:19 - 03 Apr 2020 08:20 #220617 by Bosanek
Don't forget to apply a thin layer of a thread anti seize compound on the bolts before reinstalling them.

The mechanic who had installed the radius arm guards to mine did not do that, and I could not remove the bolts only two years later without damaging the radius arm bushes. I had to sell the car with the radius guard arms on it, and then buy a new set for the new Jimny .....
Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 08:20 by Bosanek.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2020 10:35 #220619 by Andy2640

Bosanek wrote: Don't forget to apply a thin layer of a thread anti seize compound on the bolts before reinstalling them.

The mechanic who had installed the radius arm guards to mine did not do that, and I could not remove the bolts only two years later without damaging the radius arm bushes. I had to sell the car with the radius guard arms on it, and then buy a new set for the new Jimny .....

This forum is such a valuable resourse! Never have a met such warm, welcoming and knowledgable bunch ofnpeople, all with different skillsets all in one place.

First arm complete, not a nano measuremnt of movement, and bolt has had grease stuff applied. Going great, thanks to you lot.

Dont know about you, but the lockdown thingy is becoming very surreal, our neighbours look very mean and upset today. I did bang my sourcepan last night though, that was fun, and creates solidarity, enough to delay the zombie canabalism for a few more weeks.

Joking aside (kinda) i just wanted to thank you all.

I'll be back in 30 mins when it goes nipples up and berate you all for the lousy advice :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
03 Apr 2020 13:05 #220626 by Scimike
Hope it's all going well Andy.
You have inspired me to fit mine.
I have some new old stock ORA guards that have been gathering dust. I don't actually need them, but I like the idea of having them (just in case), but was too lazy to fit them, so they have gathered dust for a year.
Put them in the "strange times" things to do list, just under fit towel rail (also covered in dust ) this first to keep my better half happy.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Apr 2020 14:10 #220628 by Andy2640
Good on ye mate! Soeley inspired me to do mine, or gadget, i always get them mixed up lol.

X2 rear guards complete. But.... im worried about the front passenger side, the bolt feels very tight, as if when i pull it out the arm is gonna shift.

I know i could use a ratchet strap, but still very anxious about removing the bolt.

Is there a reason why the front is any more unstable? Could it be cus it has a pivot for steering?

More
03 Apr 2020 15:36 - 03 Apr 2020 15:37 #220632 by Scimike
I can't think why the front bolt would be tight compared to the rear. I guess it's possible, if you do a lot of pre-parking steering work at low speeds, that the front tyres are exerting a slight load. With the wheels straight ahead rock the vehicle backwards / forwards to settle it all and try again?

Other than that just go for it and deal with any movement should it happen. Sods law states you will do three fine, the forth will be a real fight.

Good luck.
Mike

Last edit: 03 Apr 2020 15:37 by Scimike.

More
03 Apr 2020 16:13 #220636 by Soeley

Scimike wrote: I can't think why the front bolt would be tight compared to the rear. I guess it's possible, if you do a lot of pre-parking steering work at low speeds, that the front tyres are exerting a slight load. With the wheels straight ahead rock the vehicle backwards / forwards to settle it all and try again?

Other than that just go for it and deal with any movement should it happen. Sods law states you will do three fine, the forth will be a real fight.

Good luck.
Mike

LOL, that is how exactly mine was first three a doddle, last one move back about an inch.

More
03 Apr 2020 16:31 #220638 by Dunders
You've inspired me to do mine as well. Bought a set off JimnyBits and was wondering the same thing. What torque did you bolt it down to?

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds