BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Chinese Steel Bumpers: Installation

More
18 Mar 2020 10:03 #220015 by Rabid Rhino
Has anyone fitted "Maiker OffRoad" bumpers similar to the pictures ?
I'm about to but a pevious owner cut my chassis so I'm curious to find out how they mount

Looking for a nice clean and straight LHD Jimny..... Not any more.
Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2020 10:12 #220016 by X8GGY
Can’t help... but LIKE them!

More
18 Mar 2020 10:39 - 18 Mar 2020 11:03 #220017 by Rabid Rhino
I'm asking because I'm about to install the bumpers but my chassis has been cut up by the previous owner
(I posted these pics in another post that stated I'm missing the ends but I don't know if they're needed for mounting the bumpers. I'm guessing they are.)
I'll be removing the poorly mounted front plate

Normal rear right side chassis, albeit for a slightly dented lower ice of u-channel

For some reason the previous owner replaced the u-channel with the lip under the end of the rear left side chassis with a flat level cut piece

Got one that seems to have been magnatized and driven through the "Big Jimny Bits" parts stores too quickly so it missed a few items.
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Mar 2020 11:03 by Rabid Rhino.

More
18 Mar 2020 15:49 #220029 by Reason2doubt
Hi RR, I have one installed. Here's a few snaps from back when I put it on. The bumper sits on-top of the original end-bits of the chassis. I suspect it would be too low if it wasn't sitting on them. I remember hammering the left side one to make it straight as I think it had taken a slight knock at some point. The picture where the whole front end painted in grey primer would have been before we painted it black and then bumper would have gone on so I am 100% sure we kept the bits that yours is missing.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Not sure on the back bumper - only have the front one.

More
19 Mar 2020 13:23 #220066 by Rabid Rhino
R2D 2 things...
Thanks for the reply. Nice !!!!
Do you remember if it mounted to the front cross member ?

More
20 Mar 2020 11:52 #220085 by ahtr
Have installed a similar Chinese bumper on mine. I can't see you having a problem. From what I remember, it had 2 brackets that mounted on the outside of the 2 front chassis legs, then the winch tray bolted to them. I chose to beef up and add more bolts that went right through the chassis to strengthen it up at this point. I also had to make the slot for winch fairlead a bit larger and drill some holes to suit my winch.

The main bumper bolted to this winch plate with a couple of brackets, again, I added more of my own bolts and steel to strengthen everything up and get it fitting ok.

I also relocated my winch solenoid off the winch motor to under the bonnet, then made and ran new cabling in. This wasn't an issue as I planned to do this anyway.

Few finished pictures on build thread here HERE

My green laner build
2003 Jimny - M16 engine - 4.16 TC - Winch - Snorkel - 30x9.5 Maxxis MT-764 tyres on 15x7 ET-7 offset wheels - 4" lift - Rear floating axles and discs
Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2020 16:09 #220135 by Rabid Rhino
ahtr.... I have the same bumper as you with the "Jimny" cut outs....
But
I dont have the instructions. Do you ? If so please could you attach pics.

Attachments:

More
21 Mar 2020 18:13 - 21 Mar 2020 18:13 #220136 by Rabid Rhino
Missing a load of nuts and bolts as the box was quite damaged.
Hopefully that's all I'm missing.
Other dog leg bracket is on the car as below.

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Mar 2020 18:13 by Rabid Rhino.

More
21 Mar 2020 21:27 - 21 Mar 2020 21:29 #220137 by Reason2doubt
Hi, sorry for rue late reply.

It did not link to the front cross member. it only links into the dog arm brackets that sit in the side of the chassis (in the circular holes). It sits ontop of the chassis rails at the front (no bolting directly to chassis at the front).

You can drill through the bottom winch plate (that links to the side of each dog arm) and attach it to the chassis via a bolt on either side but I never did. Any pressure applied to the bumper by a winch should pull it down onto the chassis and that will not bend easily.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2020 21:29 by Reason2doubt.

More
22 Mar 2020 03:36 #220139 by Rabid Rhino
Thanks guys.
I have to say this is a really helpful and friendly active board

More
22 Mar 2020 03:43 #220140 by Rabid Rhino
Missing a load of nuts and bolts from a torn open bag as the box was quite badly damaged.
Hopefully that's all I'm missing.
1 Dog leg bracket is on the car

What are the brackets below for & where do they go ?

Attachments:

More
22 Mar 2020 11:08 #220142 by X8GGY
I've got loads of bolts (I was Bits4Vits / am ZookBOB) and a Post Office onsite if you need any posting out...

Post or PM me a list of what you're missing and I'll see what I can match ;)

Dave

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds