BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

JB74 - Gen.4 5 wheel Tyre rotation

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
15 Mar 2020 14:04 - 15 Mar 2020 14:05 #219891 by DAGZOOK
Hello all,

I've got a question for all fellow Gen. 4 owners regarding tyre rotation. I'm of the understanding that that the spare on the Gen.4 doesn't have a TPMS sensor fitted. Does this mean that you'll have an error light displayed whilst the spare is fitted in a rotation situation? Or as others online seem to suggest, the spare won't transmit a pressure signal - but the wheel now mounted on the spare rack (with a TPMS sensor fitted and correctly inflated) will keep the system behaving?

I was hoping someone has conducted a real life test. I want carry out a 5 wheel rotation as I feel its best practice - I do relatively high millage on the tarmac but also use the car off road frequently whilst at the local shoot. I figure it'll be the best way to prolong the life of my tyres whilst also being mechanically sympathetic to the AWD system.

It would be a real nuisance if carrying out a 5 wheel rotation would mean you've got to persevere with a highly irritating warning light on the dash.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2020 14:05 by DAGZOOK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Mar 2020 15:09 #219892 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic JB74 - Gen.4 5 wheel Tyre rotation
Yeah, sorry that's the deal. You put the spare on and a few miles down the road the dash turns red. Life saving technology apparently. Chris

More
15 Mar 2020 18:38 #219896 by Soeley
I have heard different stories from Gen 4 owners saying the spare does not have a TPMS sensor, That is one of the reasons I chose not to rotate my tyres, the other being the fact my tyre wear is pretty even, see below. That is at 12 month service with 12900 mile on the clock.

Then recently people have said there is a sensor in the spare. So not sure if some have and some haven't or what?

I do know that it is only wheel rotation that activates the TPMS sensor, so a sensor sat in the spare will do nothing to keep the system happy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, DAGZOOK

More
15 Mar 2020 19:39 #219898 by Busta
The Jimny is 4wd, not AWD. You won't have any issues with uneven tyre wear affecting the transmission if you use it in accordance to the manufacturers guidance.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
15 Mar 2020 20:56 #219899 by DAGZOOK
Thanks for that Soeley. The owners manual does state that the spare ISN'T fitted with a TPMS. I feared as much, little bit frustrating that the owners manual recommends tyre rotation 4/5 - but the TPMS sytem makes the reality a nuisance. Your real world experience is positive though and seems to suggest it may not be as important as I'd thought. I'll measure my tred depth AM as a comparison.

• DAGZOOK
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
15 Mar 2020 21:04 #219900 by DAGZOOK

Busta wrote: The Jimny is 4wd, not AWD. You won't have any issues with uneven tyre wear affecting the transmission if you use it in accordance to the manufacturers guidance.

Busta, we might have our wires crossed here. What I meant was, the Gen.4 zook is selectable 4WD with essentially a fixed/locked 2wd/4wd transfer box. There's no centre differential to compensate for a difference in tyre size (and therefore wheel speed) front axle to back - therefore it's more important to ensure tyre wear is even. My understanding is that the risk is even greater with these auto/electronic 4WD systems on modern SUV's.

BMW & Audi use a wet viscous coupling centre Diff/Haldex that would compensate for this.

More traditional 4WD's with a mechanical centre differential also compensate for a difference in tyre size front/rear axle.

• Lambert
  • Away
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Mar 2020 05:06 #219903 by Lambert
Busta is right. A Jimny is 2wd on road and high grip surfaces so therefore you can run totally different sizes of tyre front and back if you want because when off road on low grip surfaces the wheels would be able to slip against the surface and accommodate the difference between the tyre size. I'm not saying you should do the above but you could if you absolutely had to.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta

More
16 Mar 2020 07:48 #219909 by Bill Portland
Would a solution be to put the spare tyre on one wheel that's got TPMS and then rotate the wheels around the car? It'll mean having the spare wheel and the spare tyre rebalanced. Local tyre fitters should do that for a reasonable cost?

If you don't rotate the spare does it mean you effectively have to throw it away when you come to replace the 4 worn tyres (unless you get another set of 4 of the same brand/model tyre)? Should you use a new (spare) on the same axle as a worn one?

More
16 Mar 2020 08:41 #219911 by Gadget
I rotated mine at the weekend, but just stuck with a 4 tyre rotation (in a pattern suitable for a RWD vehicle). The TPMS warning isn't one you can ignore, as it takes over the whole central screen.

Only issue I have now is that tpms will alert on the wrong wheel when the pressures drop! I'm guessing there's no simple way to reprogram it for the revised locations?

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 08:45 #219912 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic JB74 - Gen.4 5 wheel Tyre rotation
As fewer and fewer cars have a full size spare anyway (even the Jimny came with an aerosol inflator in the boot) perhaps it's time to regard the thing as an ornament.
I remember GeorgeC took his off to improve vision, a man clearly ahead of the pack.
Chris

More
16 Mar 2020 12:16 #219919 by Soeley
It depends on the sort of driving you do, if you plan on going off road then a spare is a must for me.

More
16 Mar 2020 15:38 #219926 by Bob1050

DAGZOOK wrote: Hello all,

I've got a question for all fellow Gen. 4 owners regarding tyre rotation. I'm of the understanding that that the spare on the Gen.4 doesn't have a TPMS sensor fitted. Does this mean that you'll have an error light displayed whilst the spare is fitted in a rotation situation? Or as others online seem to suggest, the spare won't transmit a pressure signal - but the wheel now mounted on the spare rack (with a TPMS sensor fitted and correctly inflated) will keep the system behaving?

I was hoping someone has conducted a real life test. I want carry out a 5 wheel rotation as I feel its best practice - I do relatively high millage on the tarmac but also use the car off road frequently whilst at the local shoot. I figure it'll be the best way to prolong the life of my tyres whilst also being mechanically sympathetic to the AWD system.

It would be a real nuisance if carrying out a 5 wheel rotation would mean you've got to persevere with a highly irritating warning light on the dash.

I will happily supply a definitive answer based on personal experience. I have a 2019 G4 Jimny and have undertaken the 5 Tyre rotation twice. All 5 wheels/tyres came with TPMS factory fitted and other than checking/resetting tyre pressures - it was a simple job. Just remember to check your tyre pressures when stone cold. Trust this helps clarify myth from fact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, Soeley

Time to create page: 0.160 seconds