BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Knocking noise

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Mar 2020 19:43 #219558 by jfkenpoman
Knocking noise was created by jfkenpoman
OK so it's been a while but I'm still getting a knocking noise which only appears to happen at 30mph whatever gear I'm in? The diff has been changed, wheel bearings checked and oil's changed in diff. Looking in engine bay at the fan, there seems to be a bit of play on the shaft which holds the fan. Is this normal? Or could this be the cause of the noise? Any ideas gents?
Regards
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Mar 2020 04:28 #219578 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Knocking noise
Play in the water pump shaft is not normal. Also have you checked the crankshaft pulley for play as they can delaminate and make odd noises. Also I once had a huge nail in a tyre that didn't leak air but on every rotation it would just touch the wheel and make a clanging noise and that took an age to find.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2020 10:20 #219619 by jfkenpoman
Replied by jfkenpoman on topic Knocking noise
morning mate, the crankshaft pulley seems ok, I had one disintegrate on my last jimny, the wheels and tyres have been changed and noise still here. I presume that there will be a bearing that the fan sits in

jon

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Mar 2020 15:57 #219642 by Lambert
It's as easy and cheap to replace the water pump complete instead of trying to repair it.

• jfkenpoman
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Mar 2020 19:59 #219656 by jfkenpoman
Replied by jfkenpoman on topic Knocking noise
is it easy to replace the water pump?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
09 Mar 2020 20:34 #219659 by Lambert
Yes. Radiator top hose off at radiator end. Release tension on drive belt by loosening the alternator. Unbolt the radiator shroud from the radiator and the fan from the pump and remove both together it's a bit fiddly but the shroud is pliable enough to avoid damage or if you prefer remove the radiator as wel it will make more space but isn't absolutely necessary. Remove water pump drive pulley and then you can get at the bolts to remove the pump. Some of the bolts are different lengths so remember what holes are which and off you go. You will need fresh coolant to refill the system when you are finished. Easy. Unless you have difficulty differentiating between a hammer and a spanner in which case a good garage will probably only charge an hour or two labour.

Time to create page: 0.084 seconds