BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Front left heating up

• Smith335
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2020 22:01 #219447 by Smith335
Front left heating up was created by Smith335
Hi Everyone,
Just seeking advice in relation to an odd situation. The front left of the engine bay is heating up quite a bit in comparison to the right side. You can feel the heat in the left panel and bonnet. The issue is new and commenced after not using the Jimny for 6 weeks. Initial drive was fine, but after 10km, sitting stationary and turning the aircon/fan off the revs started creeping to 1800 then to 2400. The revs would drop back to 1000 when turning the aircon on again and then climb back up with the aircon/fan turned off. Only happened earlier this week. But the front left is still hot even after a short drive.

The water temperature appears fine. There is an exhaust smell blowing out to the left of the engine bay with it being considerably warmer there but no noise different than normal.
Power steering fluid is black and the steering is becoming slightly harder to negotiate (my mate told me to toughen up). No coolant loss apparent. Drive belts recently changed with a slight squeak from the alternator. Maybe I damaged something with the belt change?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
06 Mar 2020 05:41 #219453 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front left heating up
New one on me this. When you say left side you are looking from the front as in the intake side of the engine is getting warmer than the exhaust side?

The high idle is maintained even when under load as in driving with your feet off the pedals?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Smith335
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 12:33 #219920 by Smith335
Replied by Smith335 on topic Front left heating up
Hi Lambert,
Thank you for the reply and apologies for the delay in getting back to you. When the problem started, the front left of the engine bay started heating (when seated in the driver's side), the same side as the exhaust manifold. It was quite odd and did this a few times although the temperature gauge never indicated anything other than normal. When feeling the external panels on the intake side, it was significantly cooler.
The problem (as well as the gradual increase in idling) appears to have stopped. I wonder if it was to do with the fact that we were away for 6 weeks and during the time the Jimny sat through a cyclone. I wonder if moisture made its way into the engine bay resulting in the strange idle and whether something temporarily connected the heat shield to the exhaust manifold and conducted the heat this way?
Nevertheless, it appears fine at this stage. Thank you for your input.

• Smith335
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Mar 2020 12:46 #219923 by Smith335
One final thing, in addition to the previous heating issue, and intermittently for a couple of months prior, when standing near the exhaust manifold, a smell of exhaust fumes would linger. Would anyone know where this could come from? There aren't any loud sounds indicating a crack in the exhaust system that I can hear. And yet again, after the most recent drive and sniff, the smell wasn't there.
Cheers.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Mar 2020 15:39 #219927 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Front left heating up
To find manifold leaks a good trick is to hold a scrap of tissue paper on a long stick and offer it around the exhaust, if it starts fluttering that's a good place to look for a crack or other hole.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smith335

More
16 Mar 2020 16:06 #219931 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Front left heating up
exhaust/manifold when cold get underneath
Grab the down pipe and see if theirs any movement on manifold joint
The welded nut part on manifold rust through and compromise the seal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smith335

• Smith335
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Mar 2020 22:30 #220075 by Smith335
Thank you. I have noticed fragments of rust around the engine mounting point under the exhaust manifold. I will look into it.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds