BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

CB Antenna Placement

More
04 Mar 2020 10:41 - 04 Mar 2020 11:42 #219366 by furo
CB Antenna Placement was created by furo
Hi folks,

I have just installed a CB in my Jimny and I am trying to work out the best location for the antenna. I thought I could attach it to my roof rack (yellow arrow) and run the wire through the aerial mount and down the A pillar, but I wasn't sure if I'd get interference from the radio aerial/cable and if the roofrack would be a suitable ground. I have read quite a lot of conflicting information.

EDIT: I have also thought about directly replacing the radio aerial with an antenna, and going without a radio.

Thanks!

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2020 11:42 by furo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Mar 2020 14:36 #219373 by gusthegorilla
Replied by gusthegorilla on topic CB Antenna Placement
Get something like this from eBay, and your CB aerial will perform both functions.....AND they do work !!

I'm planning to live forever.....so far, so good !!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: furo

More
04 Mar 2020 15:01 #219376 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic CB Antenna Placement
The middle of the roof would be best. However, on the roof rack will be fine if there is a good earth. I buy self adhesive copper tape (slug barrier tape), this is very condutive, remove some paint from the roof rack and under the fixings and tape over for a really good earth. Seal it up afterwards with some electrical or self amalgamating tape.

Mag mounts work really well, even though they don't have a direct electrical connection to the roof, they are in close contact to still get the roof working as a good ground plane.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
04 Mar 2020 17:49 - 04 Mar 2020 17:52 #219381 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic CB Antenna Placement
I'd second Gus' solution - it's a long time since I had a CB radio but I had a similar device which worked well.
I've also used mag-mounts very successfuly - my only question would be could a mag-mount get knocked off by tree branches etc - I know the mag moounts are very strong, but could imagine this happening

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 04 Mar 2020 17:52 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla, furo

More
04 Mar 2020 18:02 #219385 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic CB Antenna Placement
Mag mounts fall off from branches. So much I do not bother with it anymore. But they work fine otherwise. When installing antenna directly on the roof metal it is best to have 20cm of plane metal around if possible.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
04 Mar 2020 20:07 - 04 Mar 2020 20:11 #219389 by furo
Replied by furo on topic CB Antenna Placement
Thank you very much for your replies, that is very helpful.

Gus: that looks great, I think I'll get one of those!

One further question: the current aerial doesn't appear to have a ground, will I need to create one? I could connect a wire from the aerial to the bolt that secures the mount to the car (yellow line). Unless that is already built in?

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2020 20:11 by furo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gusthegorilla

• Reisher
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2020 06:03 #219401 by Reisher
Replied by Reisher on topic CB Antenna Placement
Hey you bought this aerial from me so I'll try to help.
This aerial does have ground its located in one of the washers you can see from the top the one that has a wire running to it that you marked yellow in your picture.
You need to make sure that this washer is in place. This ground is running from your car's frame to the coax isolation all the way to your head unit geound shielding the signal wire from interference.
The signal wire is running through the antenna itself to the middle wire in the cable to your head unit.

More
05 Mar 2020 06:48 #219402 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic CB Antenna Placement
I run one of these with my FM car radio and CB with the aerial on the roof of my external roll cage. Your roof rack will be a great groundplane:

www.thunderpole.co.uk/switches-filters/d...ntenna-splitter.html

It's just how to run the lead into the car.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
05 Mar 2020 22:49 #219449 by furo
Thank you very much guys. I have ordered the Zetagi antenna splitter (and a car radio to antenna adaptor I think I'll need), and I'll let you know how I get on!

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2020 11:59 #219477 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic CB Antenna Placement
I don't think I've listened to the radio for 20+ yrs now!
Just my own CD mixes (apart from Muse-The 2nd Law)....

More
25 Mar 2020 19:14 - 25 Mar 2020 19:22 #220264 by furo
Thank you for your help everyone. I have installed the CB with the Zetagi splitter and wired it all in. The only outstanding issue is the antenna, and I have a question about that: the current aerial is at an angle (as in the picture below), but all CB antennas I've seen are vertical. If I installed an antenna at an angle would that cause major problems? I'm not too bothered if my range is a little reduced.

If it is important for the antenna to be vertical, are there any easy solutions for this? The aerial base has an M6 bolt connection and I have seen some Scania antennas can be attached directly to this. Is it possible to bend an antenna so that it is vertical, or would that cause damage?

Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Mar 2020 19:22 by furo.

More
28 Mar 2020 06:52 #220347 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic CB Antenna Placement
Are you talking about the CB aerial that is now the only working aerial being at an angle?

If so I can't see why it will be an issue as long as it is not so low to whip anything or anyone.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds