BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny Modifications

More
26 Feb 2020 13:23 - 26 Feb 2020 13:39 #219109 by oldgitinajeep
Replied by oldgitinajeep on topic Jimny Modifications
I'd agree with tyres, my Jimny is stock and apart from the odd lane doesn't really go what I'd call off road and is my daily driver. I put a decent set of all terrains and a steering damper on it and it has a made it much better all round.

I had an SJ which I used to take to pay and play sites and all that had on it was mud terrains other than that it was stock and for the most part unstoppable :)

For the looks I did this - Mine's red so, I plastikoted the wheels black, dark-ish tints on windows and a de-badge, smoked side repeaters, plastikote black the spare wheel cover, black wind deflectors on windows, fabric sprayed the fabric on the door cards black and installed a black leather interior, chrome door pins and interior handles (not exterior urgh lol) added interior mood lighting, bodged a double din stereo dvd screen and 4 speakers in and alarm system, then some decent mats and I think it looks a bit meaner, certainly over stock, to me anyway.
Last edit: 26 Feb 2020 13:39 by oldgitinajeep. Reason: addition text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 Feb 2020 18:25 #219118 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Jimny Modifications
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

ColinTheViking wrote: I understand this is a bit vein as I shouldn't really care too much about how the car will look but I have seen a photo (link below) of a jimny that for me is what I would like to see the one I get look similar to eventually.

www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?tit...22_and_body_lift.jpg

I know that many of the modifications on this build are more than I will need especially for more daily driving than off-roading however the main thing for me is the wheel sizes and how much I could push without lifting (lifting will come at a later stage). Could anybody suggest a way, or what tyre sizes and rims will fit whilst also maintaining good grip for weekend off-roading and also not looking too small for the vehicle if you know what I mean.

Thats my old motor! Miss it now :unsure: In that pic it was on 235/75r15 tyres, a 2"+2" lift and Alaplast arches well trimmed if that helps. There were gearing changes needed to get those tyres on, but not drastic stuff. It evolved into a bigger machine later in my ownership, sold it before xmas and its turned up on ebay now for an awful lot more than I sold it for...

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: ColinTheViking

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Feb 2020 22:28 #219131 by ColinTheViking
Replied by ColinTheViking on topic Jimny Modifications
I was wondering if 215/75/15 BF Goodrich AT’s would rub at all and if so would it be that much of an issue? Would trimming the front bumper stop all rubbing if there is any?

More
26 Feb 2020 23:59 #219137 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Jimny Modifications

ColinTheViking wrote: I was wondering if 215/75/15 BF Goodrich AT’s would rub at all and if so would it be that much of an issue? Would trimming the front bumper stop all rubbing if there is any?

Yes ;)

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2020 11:14 #219319 by ColinTheViking
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAnyone know if this would fit a gen 3 and if it is difficult to install something like this?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Mar 2020 13:58 #219325 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny Modifications
The main problem with those is that the factory roof system has plastic feet and is notorious for being weak to the point that Suzuki specifically states the roof load as 30kg. It is possible to unbolt the factory rails and bolt on something more serious but it will require advising the insurance that you intend to carry more than 30kg on the roof.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Mar 2020 07:41 #219353 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Jimny Modifications
For a decent roof rack see:

www.jimnybits.com/jimny/jimaccessories/j...rland-roof-rack.html

There are cheaper alternatives on eBay that are the same.

I keep reading Jimny wheels with an offset of 0 and need to point out that they have an offset of 5, not 0. If you go to 0 you'll have brake caliper clearance issues!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2020 14:38 - 05 Mar 2020 14:44 #219429 by ColinTheViking
Thanks,

I'm still a little confused about the whole offset thing as im being told things from -30 to +5, I looked on my OEM wheels and they are ET 5, does this mean they are further towards the arch or closer to the brakes than for instance ET -5? If they were closer to the brakes wouldn't that mean I could go to ET-10 for example and have more brake clearance?

Sorry for sounding like such a noob.

Edit: I've just seen this which helps solve my own question.
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny...set-and-inset#219370
Does this mean if I go for something like -10 offset it would be okay? I want to bring the wheels closer to the arch for a bit of a stance look but also dont want to ruin brake caliper clearance.
Last edit: 05 Mar 2020 14:44 by ColinTheViking.

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2020 14:55 #219430 by ColinTheViking
I've also just found this page.
www.jimnybits.com/suzuki-16-black-7-modular-steel-wheel.html
It says here -15 offset gives appearance of 39mm wheel spacer yet +10 still gives an appearance of a 14mm wheal spacer?
So whats wrong and whats right?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
05 Mar 2020 15:41 #219431 by Lambert
Ok. So a Jimny is et5 which means that mounting face of the wheel is 5mm closer to the outside of the wheel than the inside. If you could find a wheel with the same width but a -15et that would move the wheel outwards by 20mm but there are no 5.5j wheels readily available in -15 most commonly they are 7j so the outside edge of the wheel is an additional 3/4 inch or 19mm further outwards still hence 39mm mentioned. If you then use a 10et wheel the mounting face is an additional 5mm closer to the outside of the wheel and again add the extra 19mm of width and the outside edge of the wheel is now 14mm further out than standard.

• ColinTheViking
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2020 15:46 #219432 by ColinTheViking
Aaahh thats great thank you, so now the question that follows is how damaging would it be to go for an offset of -15 on a set of 15x7s? would this destroy the bearings as I have been told this in the past.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Mar 2020 05:24 #219451 by Lambert
It's going to put more stress on them certainly because the imposed load on the bearing is outside its design parameters. By how much it shortens the service life of a bearing is more difficult to quantify as the use and abuse that it will see is a significant variable. Just driving on a well maintained road every couple of weeks is going to be kinder than 6 hours every weekend bashing a quarry.

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds