BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

How many miles to a tank? Gen 4

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 May 2020 21:01 #222609 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic How many miles to a tank? Gen 4

GeorgeC wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: I'm getting slightly worried about my MPG. Weight wise, I am just under GVM, but since lock-down I have been doing very little driving. I am classed as a key worker and have occasionally driven to our offices in Cov, some 20 miles away.
I also took my battery out to fit the winch (post to follow shortly) and now I am getting a wallet crunching ......22.9mpg!

Andy, try changing the display to US MPG, you may find your 22.9 doesn't look so bad after all!

Joins us on Fuelly, where we all show ours to each other.. :dry:

I thought it always showed up in Non-US mpg?
Unfortunately although i wud love for this to be the case, i fear it is not the case.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2020 22:12 #222618 by Scimike
Mines gone the other way! Since lockdown my G3 is reliably averaging 41mpg, urban only (essential shop), normally it averages 36mpg.
Been keeping a fuel log from the first day I purchased, so it's not a fluke and not the norm for this type of journey (34 to 35mpg).

What's the reason for this?
1)Less time sitting in traffic
2)The air is cleaner and so the engine has more power.
3)The petrol companies are no longer watering it down due to low demand.
4) I've washed the Jimny so much during lockdown I've reduced it's drag coefficient.

Asnswers on a postcard.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
11 Dec 2020 09:46 #230835 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic How many miles to a tank? Gen 4
I did a guesstimate that when the fuel light came on there was still approx. 60 miles worth of fuel left in the tank. Am I well over?

More
11 Dec 2020 11:21 - 11 Dec 2020 11:24 #230838 by saxj

Dan wrote: I did a guesstimate that when the fuel light came on there was still approx. 60 miles worth of fuel left in the tank. Am I well over?

There is 6 litres left when the light comes on, 4 litres left when the last block starts to flash. I'm definitely not getting 60 miles on that.
Last edit: 11 Dec 2020 11:24 by saxj.

More
11 Dec 2020 15:08 #230843 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic How many miles to a tank? Gen 4
I think you are closer than my estimate, any car I've had in the past has done approx. 30 miles on the warning light before the fuel runs out.

More
11 Dec 2020 16:16 #230846 by Bill Portland
I usually wait for the light to come on before filling up and can get 32-33 litres in. Suggests 7-8 litres left when the light came on. I'd still like to know how much it takes if someone refills after running out, just to check the 40 litre capacity is accurate.

• GeorgeC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Dec 2020 18:48 #230849 by GeorgeC
Replied by GeorgeC on topic Re:How many miles to a tank? Gen 4
Previously, in another topic, we discussed the difference between tank capacity and usable fuel.

I can confirm from flying and Martin has from his boats, usable fuel is the meaningful figure.

After a wading experience, one chap in South Australia removed several litres of water from his Gen 4 fuel tank.

More
11 Dec 2020 19:05 #230852 by Soeley

Bill Portland wrote: I usually wait for the light to come on before filling up and can get 32-33 litres in. Suggests 7-8 litres left when the light came on. I'd still like to know how much it takes if someone refills after running out, just to check the 40 litre capacity is accurate.

It's not :whistle:

More
11 Dec 2020 20:01 #230854 by lightning
l've not tried to find out how far we can get on a full tank in our 2020 Jimny, but what l can say is we are averaging 42mpg.

l've reset the average fuel indicator a few times and it always ends up between 41 and 43mpg.

This compares with 26mpg in my Defender 110 and around 48mpg in our VW Up GTi

Considering the type of vehicle that the Jimny is, l am very happy with 42mpg in almost exclusively urban driving.

To achieve this l drive carefully but not so much that l hold anybody up.

Motorway is 65mph. Perfectly happy at that speed, much more relaxing than titting down the outside lane at 90+mph

Have tried 70-75 mph and it's OK but less relaxing, more noisy, and about 7mpg less. Also at that speed you are constantly changing between the middle and inside lanes.

More
11 Dec 2020 20:34 #230855 by Dan
The light comes on when the bars have gone down to 1/10th which would suggest there was 4L left which would fit in with my approx 30 mile left observation.

I've had about eight litres left when filling up with the light on, so agree that it seems to have more in reserve than you would expect.

More
11 Dec 2020 20:41 #230856 by crash486
5litres left for me when the last bar flashes.
80 litre Long Ranger tank.

crash486 JB74W

More
11 Dec 2020 20:47 - 11 Dec 2020 20:51 #230857 by lightning
Anybody managing to average over 45mpg in their Gen 4 Jimny?

l figured it might be possible somewhere flat like Norfolk (U.K.)
Last edit: 11 Dec 2020 20:51 by lightning.

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds