BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Weedy battery in the gen 4??

More
16 Feb 2020 16:04 - 16 Feb 2020 16:04 #218602 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??
I'd definitely ditch the inverter and either wire in a perm-live USB outlet with a decent output, or buy a decent 12v accessory adapter. I wired this into my car so I can charge without the ignition on.

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2020 16:04 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 07:13 #218691 by RainerK
I installed a LiFePo4 battery in my Jimny as the starting battery some months ago. 40Ah with integrated BMS.
So far everything works fine, I had no issue with starting in winter although this winter was not really cold, maybe -5°C. In case the battery would have a problem with the low temperature, I would first switch on the lights for a minute, then wait and try to start again - but so far this was not required.
How the battery behaves in the summer I can let you know in 6 months.

Regarding charging of your phone, as written above go for a 12V to USB charger. I installed one that is switched with the battery an one that is on permanent 12V. Without charging the permanent one uses less than 0.01A so there should not be an issue with haven this on all the time or get one with an off switch. If you install one on a permanent 12V make sure you check the idle consumption. There are some that use much more idle power and this could drain your battery within a few weeks.

Regarding you converter I think there is also another problem there. If your battery is good and can be quick drained 50% Within 15min and still start, then you used 20Ah within 15min, that means 80A discharge and that would be almost 1kW! The heat of 1kW you would easily detect, this is like a small hair dryer for 15min. So even if your converter is really bad, this cannot be without getting really, really hot. Even if it would just drain 40A this would be too much.

I would suspect, that your battery was on the edge and the additional drain was too much. As a recommendation I would definitely
- verify the level of the battery
- recharge the battery,
- check if the alternator charges the battery properly
- check if the battery keeps the charge

And maybe get a new battery.

All the best from Vienna!
Attachments:

More
19 Feb 2020 07:20 #218753 by kirkynut
If you have a Gen 4 your battery can only be a year or so old, so should be ok, you're just asking too much of it as per the above comments about the drain from an inverter.

A twin battery, split charged system sounds like the answer but an inverter will still drain bigger battery, it will just take a little longer and you'll be able to start the car off the original battery.

The only benefit of using the inverter is the speed of charging as the mains charger for most phones gives fast charging but the USB to 12v is slow, albeit does not take much out of the car battery.

So if you need to quick charge with the 3 pin charger you'll need to run the engine, otherwise just run it off a USB/cigarette lighter socket.

As a solution to just the phone, how about getting one of those portable power banks that you charge up at home which can charge a phone 2-3 times? You don't need to leave it in the car then.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
19 Feb 2020 09:42 #218757 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??
You mention a kettle?! Using battery power to boil water is really inefficient. Why not try a simple gas camping stove like a jetboil or one of the many cheaper knock-offs. It will boil water a lot quicker and more efficiently without risking leaving you stranded. And you can use it away from the car. If you want to go really old school get a kelly kettle! They are great.

Also consider the voltages things work at. The car battery is 12v. The inverter puts out 240v. USB is 5v and a laptop charges at between 5 and 20v. Increasing the voltage to 240, to then bring it back down to 5 or 20v is very inefficient. Where you can, try to find things that plug directly into the cigarette lighter rather that using a domestic 3 pin plug. You can get car chargers for most laptops, for example.

More
19 Feb 2020 09:57 #218758 by Dan

More
19 Feb 2020 12:15 #218761 by 300bhpton

Gadget wrote: I'd definitely ditch the inverter and either wire in a perm-live USB outlet with a decent output, or buy a decent 12v accessory adapter. I wired this into my car so I can charge without the ignition on.

Nicely installed. Have seen a few people put USB ports here. My issue is, there is nowhere to physically put your phone to use a socket here though. Not unless you have long cables running over the steering column or worse putting the phone in the door pocket :( :(

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2020 12:29 #218762 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??
Right, so today i had delivered a battery and alternator tester. It was cheap but had great reviews and has been described by many as accurate.

The readings as indicated by empty, low,medium and full, was showing = full. (Battery condituon).

For the alternator, the possibilities are dead, good and high. Mine was showing = good.

The battery voltage indicated =12.61V.
The aterator reading was = 14.53.

Cool gadget!

Thanks to you all for the info and recommendations. It is hugely appreciated as slways.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds