BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Weedy battery in the gen 4??

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2020 09:27 #218579 by Andy2640
Weedy battery in the gen 4?? was created by Andy2640
Ideally id love a duel battery swt up. Im always running 12v power in the jim, kettles, chargers, laptops etc. I have one of those 12v converters, so i can use houese plugs.

Thingnis, i left my mobile charging with engine off, and after only 15 mins my battery was drained, had to use the jump leads. I know its not wise how i charged my mob, but 15 mins seems a short time to drain the battery.

Are there better batteries out there, maybe lithium?? If so....what max power ratings could i get away with etc.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2020 09:49 #218580 by Scimike
I can see how charging your mobile phone is the root cause of a flat battery. Did you have anything else plugged in, Inverter for 24Ovac etc?
The battery will have an AH rating, in very simple terms it the amps it will give in 1hour, so 380Ah is just that. I know in real life they can't, but a phone is milliamps - see the problem.
So what condition is the current battery in?
Measure the voltage if you can,. Rough guide is 12v or less is bad, 12.5 is flat, 12.8 to 13 or above charged. These are off load voltages.

But yes you could be killing it with loads of gizmos plugged in and no miles driven to charge it up, if this is the case then a split system is for you.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
16 Feb 2020 09:52 #218581 by Lambert
Lithium batteries are great for running accessory devices as part of a twin system but they are quite sensitive to ambient temperature and being under the bonnet is far from ideal. I would have a look at the power system people like Andrew St Pierre White and Ronny Dahl on YouTube use for over land travel as they have loads of cameras etc. to charge.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2020 10:10 - 16 Feb 2020 10:11 #218582 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??
Thanks for that information you two!! Much appreciated as always.

Here is the inverter i use:

So i have this pligged into my ciggie port. All i do is charge my mobile. Or at least i did when it went flat last.

Can tou chaps recommend a decent battery anlyser So i can check the battery?

I have made a hard rule feom now on. Any kit i buy for the jim is going ro be the very best quality i can afford. I am sick of buying second rate gear and having to replace it for the real deal some days, weeks or months latwr. I'll get all the kit i need more slowly as i am not madenof beer tokens, but buy once cry once, biy cheap buy twice. I kbow you guys understand this!!

So first port of call, is to check the condition of said battery. Roger that!

Cheers fellas!!

Edit: ohh forgot to mention, the lovely George C has mentioned the need for a software update of the alternator??
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2020 10:11 by Andy2640.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Feb 2020 10:44 #218585 by Lambert
Part of the problem is that in order for the accessory socket to be live the ignition has to be in the accessory position so the radio is powered even if it is not on and the majority of the rest of the cars system is also effectively in standby not off so even though all you are doing is charging a phone you have quite a load on your battery. Additionally by using an inverter there is a an additional drain from it as well as anything plugged into it and you are adding inefficiencies in the form of heat. Using a a high amp accessory to USB adapter removes much of that inefficient battery use and is also more compact in a Jimny.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Feb 2020 10:49 #218586 by Lambert
I have this

Attachments:

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Feb 2020 10:57 #218587 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??
Ohhh I see!! Yes makes total sense to me that does :)

Ok, so does that usb thing charge the mobile at a fast rate or is it super slow?

Think ill have to grab one then. I was thinkingnof getting something soeley has, its called.a magic pro, and it connects to the baytery or fuse board and isolates the power to just that socket, it also turns off when it goes below a certain voltage on the car battery.

Mmmhhhh food for thought, but yes all that info about the ignition providing power to a lot of sytems is making perfect sense to me and why the battery was under a lot of load.

Massive appreciation guys!!

More
16 Feb 2020 11:21 #218590 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??
As said, those inverters will be taking a lot of power just to run them. Even if the phone is not connected or not charging, leaving one of those inverters in will quickly flatten a battery.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Lambert
    Registered
More
16 Feb 2020 11:33 #218591 by Lambert
My little doodad will flat charge my galaxy in 3 hours on my wifi charge dock and plugged in will be about an hour and a half from flat give or take.

More
16 Feb 2020 12:04 #218593 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??

Andy2640 wrote: Ohhh I see!! Yes makes total sense to me that does :)

Ok, so does that usb thing charge the mobile at a fast rate or is it super slow?

Think ill have to grab one then. I was thinkingnof getting something soeley has, its called.a magic pro, and it connects to the baytery or fuse board and isolates the power to just that socket, it also turns off when it goes below a certain voltage on the car battery.

Mmmhhhh food for thought, but yes all that info about the ignition providing power to a lot of sytems is making perfect sense to me and why the battery was under a lot of load.

Massive appreciation guys!!

Andy, the Power Magic-pro is for the Dash Cam, not sure if it is any good for anything else. I would imagine the cam has a low power draw?

More
16 Feb 2020 12:22 - 16 Feb 2020 12:25 #218595 by Scimike
As said above, the inverter will run the battery down, you need to find something a little closer to the phone voltage to charge your phone, ie. like Lambert's gizmo.
Re checking battery condition - Soeley already fitted an ideal device and is good for phone charging - the QC30.
I have one also, replacing my cigarette lighter (it was never a power socket if it has a lighter in it) with a dual Hi output.

But if you have need for the inverter for PC etc dual batteries my not be a bad idea for you.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 16 Feb 2020 12:25 by Scimike.

More
16 Feb 2020 12:46 #218596 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic Weedy battery in the gen 4??

Scimike wrote: As said above, the inverter will run the battery down, you need to find something a little closer to the phone voltage to charge your phone, ie. like Lambert's gizmo.
Re checking battery condition - Soeley already fitted an ideal device and is good for phone charging - the QC30.
I have one also, replacing my cigarette lighter (it was never a power socket if it has a lighter in it) with a dual Hi output.

But if you have need for the inverter for PC etc dual batteries my not be a bad idea for you.

In case you missed it Andy.

Time to create page: 0.164 seconds