BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

4th Gen towbar?

More
15 Feb 2020 14:42 #218531 by 300bhpton
4th Gen towbar? was created by 300bhpton
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI'd like to fit a towbar to my Jimny.

The dealer fit factory option is a little pricey. About £570 including the wiring kit and excluding fitting. It says it is detachable, but the only picture I can find is this one:

It doesn't look like a socket style detachable bar. Anyone have any better pics?

Have also found this one on ebay:

Which would save at least £200 over the official one.

Anyone got one of these or think of a good reason to spend the extra for the factory one?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Feb 2020 16:24 #218536 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic 4th Gen towbar?
I have had tow trust bars in the past including the grand vitara and they are brilliant. It's also best to go directly to them for a good deal.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Feb 2020 16:45 - 15 Feb 2020 17:01 #218539 by facade
Replied by facade on topic 4th Gen towbar?
I have the Suzuki one. Cost an arm and a leg to fit, but if anything goes wrong with the unnecessarily complicated electronics (and I suspect it will....:unsure: ), it is on them, and they can't blame me for doing something.

Comes with a little blanking plate with an S on it to stop dirt getting in the hole. Pulling the ball out is good, as it obscures the number plate somewhat. However, the ball and arm is really heavy, and I don't like the thought of it smashing up the inside of the car if I brake hard, or the emergency brake activates, so I keep it at home- which is a lot of good if I "find" a nice trailer on the way home :whistle:

Best pictures I could get from inside the house as it is going dark, in a rainstorm, with the red battery symbol showing on the camera.;)

EDIT: It comes with a Suzuki cloth bag to keep the ball arm in, and a Suzuki cap for the ball.

I had a TowTrust on the Gen3, but I had a combi hitch and kept the ball part out so you could read the number plate. It was fine except it was plastic coated, so all the coating just drops off in sheets in no time and you have to paint it with Aldi metal paint.:)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2020 17:01 by facade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 300bhpton

More
15 Feb 2020 20:00 #218553 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic 4th Gen towbar?
Cheers for the images, they help a lot. Do you know if the fitment is anything universal? i.e. can you buy a different bar for the receiver so that it can be used as a recovery point?

More
15 Feb 2020 21:22 #218564 by facade
I've never seen an adaptor, you'd think they would be common.

I'll have a look for the ball arm tomorrow and take a couple of pictures (my camera is charged now :) )

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
16 Feb 2020 15:59 #218601 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic 4th Gen towbar?
I went down the towbar rabbithole for a while, looking for something like the square hitches you see on US and Aus cars, thinking I could use it as a rear recovery point. From what I can gather, that style isn't legal in the UK, so you can't have a removable tow hitch which also accepts a nice chunky recovery point.

More
16 Feb 2020 19:55 #218618 by facade
There doesn't seem much holding the ball arm on :ohmy: I'm a bit frightened to attach it to a trailer, you'd never use it for attaching a recovery point.

Get a Tow Trust with a fixed combi type hitch, and use the pin for recovery.

More
18 Feb 2020 19:48 #218720 by Dan
Replied by Dan on topic 4th Gen towbar?
I fancy this one:

www.westfalia-automotive.com/uk/products...ny/341067900113-167/

Not going to be cheap though!

More
19 Feb 2020 19:21 #218776 by Barry silver SZ5
Replied by Barry silver SZ5 on topic 4th Gen towbar?
Suzuki one very good and neat when taken off. Main dealer has just had it back as they wired it and Suzuki sensors picked it up when in reverse. They had to contact Suzuki as they said complicated Also asked me if trailer had led bulbs as told would cause many problems. Normal bulbs and now all ok Paid the extra price and glad I did.

Time to create page: 0.176 seconds