BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

MOT: In need of moral support

• ChrisW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Feb 2020 22:03 #218737 by ChrisW
Replied by ChrisW on topic MOT: In need of moral support
Not going to lie, I was annoyed to all hell when I failed my MOT. The paper work said:
Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
    Fuel tank exhaust shield missing where fitted as original equipment creating a risk of fire (6.1.3 (e))

I climb under the car, and its there, but one side has fallen down. There was a major failure which was a hole within 30cm of a body mount. The hole, is basically some rust that has expanded a cabling hole in the back corner. Nothing that has any impact on the car what so ever.

Now having a dangerous means, no driving at all. Under normal circumstances you have 2 weeks to sort the issues, but with a dangerous you are not supposed to even drive it home.

Because of the major I had to bite the bullet and get it fixed. Which meant buying a welder (that garage didnt do the best job on the last repair) and getting it repaired. A week with no car at all. But its passed and back on the road. Since then, I have cut out the whole back floor (from the seat bolts to the back door) ready for the new one to go in this week. Making that welder pay for itself now.

It sucks, but long run, as everyone has said, its worth getting it all done. I like you have been tempted to throw in the towel and get a different car. But I know this one has a solid engine, chassis is good, its just some body issues. Rather have some body rust than a dodgy engine on another car.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2020 23:15 #218748 by Max Headroom
This sounds like good news at last. Well done. I'm sure there will be many other ways the welder pays for itself; not just through the Jimny.

Buyijng another vehicle is often like buying someone else's problems, so you've done well to stick with it.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Feb 2020 06:40 #218752 by Lambert
This is the problem with the new classification system, it encourages garage owners to make dubious calls on items that aren't truly safety critical so that they can generate work for the repair side of their business. I understand that the vast majority of vehicle users have the mechanical ability of a rock and rely on a garage to keep them mobile and safe but this current system is too open to abuse. Having said that though it isn't difficult to observe what is happening on an mot and with an assistant go through a car and check that nothing is falling off etc. Doing this prior to the test is a good option to save a few quid and to give you a good idea of if the garage is trying it on.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• ChrisW
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Feb 2020 07:44 #218755 by ChrisW
Replied by ChrisW on topic MOT: In need of moral support
Before the final test which passed, I said to them "if you are going to fail me, call me up while it's still on he ramp and show me the reason for the fail. That way I know what I need to cut out and repair"
They are 3 doors away from my office, think it was a good enough prompt to get me through the test. Was annoyed on the first one as there was no info about where the hole was. When I went back after searching I got a vauge answer and after searching behind the bumper I found it.

Yet they didn't pick up the boot floor was separating the whole length of the wheel arch on the drivers side

More
22 Feb 2020 16:27 #218888 by Reason2doubt
Quick update for those interested.

Lights are fixed, emissions are sorted and wheel bearing has been replaced.

The car is currently being examined by a fantastic local welder (he's 70, and isn't phased by the work at all)

The MOT tester was justified pointing out the rust - it is bad however not necessarily in the places that have been noted on the test.

Sills are going to be sorted out quite easily, they are actually perfect on the outside. Just the inner sills to fix which seems to be the easiest job.

The rear body mounts are completely rotten, as well as the rear part o the arches and body. This includes where the rear arches meet boot floor.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I am perfectly happy for the guy to fix this for me - he's quoting me £500 for both body mounts, the arches, boot floor connection and the sills.

Now, why might I still be annoyed? Well, the boot floor, arches and body mounts were originally (last year) "fixed" by KAP Suzuki - that lying bastard bodged the whole job. The boot floor has been stuck in using some kind of silicon/tar gum. The body sitting on the body mounts was tacked together using the thinnest metal I have seen and again, covered in this black rubber shite. For this privilege I paid Darren KAP Wilson (supposedly a Jimny expert) £600 in total - the robbing b*stard completely ripped me off. He didn't ever tell me how bad it was originally, which is why it has still failed now and we are now removing all of his "welding work".

More
05 Mar 2020 08:30 #219405 by Reason2doubt
Quick update, the Jim got through the MOT at a fair expense. Lots of preventative work to complete now!

For once it has a clean advisory sheet (but a pretty dramatic past MOT history list! haha).

File Attachment:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Mar 2020 08:34 #219406 by Lambert

Reason2doubt wrote: Quick update, the Jim got through the MOT at a fair expense. Lots of preventative work to complete now!

For once it has a clean advisory sheet (but a pretty dramatic past MOT history list! haha).

Nice!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Mar 2020 08:40 #219407 by Max Headroom
Well done!
Tenacity always pays off - prevention always better than cure

More
05 Mar 2020 08:44 #219408 by Reason2doubt

Max Headroom wrote: Well done!
Tenacity always pays off - prevention always better than cure

Yes, it took a while to get my head around that.

Considering what has been done, I have given the car another 20+ years (as far as body structure is concerned at least!).

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2020 09:02 #219410 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic MOT: In need of moral support
Brilliant result

More
05 Mar 2020 09:10 #219413 by Max Headroom
I doff my hat to you Sir - it's always a big decision - "should I sell it? v Should I keep it?" but in every case that I've ever sold a car it's been for practical reasons or simply fancying something different and not because I'm worried about its condition or that it's going to become a money pit - and as many here are aware I own OLD cars :)
I think modern cars with all the completely unnecessary electrickery nonsense such as self dipping mirrors, computer-controlled seat actuators and Recaro Sports style trouser presses are the ones to avoid - there is just too many things to go wrong.
My previous SAAB was a stunning machine - everything electric a pure joy to drive and with the roof open even on winter days I stayed toasty warm, but I'm a fresh-air freak and the roof on that was up and down like a yo-yo. It was hydro-electric and known to be very expensive if it gave trouble - I'd have happily given it up to have a manually opened roof like they had in the good old days - but people tend to be lazy and like these gizmos such as automatically opening hoods, electric windows etc etc
Which brings me back to the Jim - yes theres a lot of modern tat on them but they still wreak of basic simplicity and they are still a body tub sitting on a chassis - unless something changes for me, I can see me staying with the JImny for a long time yet!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Reason2doubt

More
05 Mar 2020 10:48 #219419 by gv42
Replied by gv42 on topic MOT: In need of moral support
WELL DONE

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds