BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

More
12 Feb 2020 12:49 #218375 by OctaneJimny
Replied by OctaneJimny on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Correct, Basicall they gen4 lever does the same job as the gen3 button, but the leaver make you feel more 'offroady' when you clunk it into position.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-ivory-manual#210539
Instagram: OctaneJimny
FB: Suzuki Jimny 4th gen (JB64 JB74) owners club

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2020 12:52 #218377 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

Scimike wrote: I have no idea, but let's look at the clues as they say.
I believe the front hubs are the same as a G3, ie vacuum operated. The transfer box is lever operated, the G3 transfer box is solenoid operated, its no more than an electrical lever, so can't see much difference here.
You can happily bang in and out of 4WD high on a G3 without using the clutch, the manual indicates you can do this up to some (cant recall) high mph figure. You only need to stop and preselect foot and steering wheel positions (ref manual) for 4wD low.
So I would guess the G4 is the same, but would have expected it to declare the same MPH limit and preselection details in the handbook as it does for the G3.
Also Andy's done it and it works :laugh:

Having said all that I always try and stop if I can. Selected once 4WD Hi while traveling at 35 ish mph, the bang from the front hubs as they engaged went right over my mechanical sympathy level.
But yes, good question.
Mike

Good to know my comments and opinions are taken seriously! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheer: :laugh:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 Feb 2020 14:18 #218383 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Why would you think they weren't?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 Feb 2020 17:44 #218391 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

Daniel30 wrote: thought it was the same as a gen3 but the leaver connects the micro switch instead of a button on the dash, the lever is there for the more classic/ retro look :)

The lever may just an alternative way of connecting an electrical switch action for 2WD to 4WD but it seems to be more of a mechanical switch when it comes to selecting Low Range/High Range? Haven't had the time to visually check the underside and I'm not curious enough to go out and crawl about in the slush and snow.

More
12 Feb 2020 17:48 #218392 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Following forum member feedback I tried moving the lever from 2WD to 4WD on the move (without using the clutch) - kept the throttle slightly depressed and it went in and out of 4WD with zero complaints from the transmission. Definitive and positive answer delivered.

More
12 Feb 2020 18:57 #218400 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
The reason to dip the clutch is because if the back wheels are spinning at 60mph but the fronts aren't moving and you snatch 4x4, likely the teeth will come off something.
Dipping the clutch helps the back wheels roll at the same speed as the front, but the stationary diff and propshaft still have to accelerate to road speed on the synchro cone between the front output shaft and the main output shaft in the transfer, so I'd keep the speed down rather than go for it at 60. :ohmy:

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2020 19:37 #218403 by Andy2640

facade wrote: The reason to dip the clutch is because if the back wheels are spinning at 60mph but the fronts aren't moving and you snatch 4x4, likely the teeth will come off something.
Dipping the clutch helps the back wheels roll at the same speed as the front, but the stationary diff and propshaft still have to accelerate to road speed on the synchro cone between the front output shaft and the main output shaft in the transfer, so I'd keep the speed down rather than go for it at 60. :ohmy:

Im not sure about this. So accelerating slightly is a big no no in this case then, as this will be giving the rear wheels and prop etc more of a challenge for the front to sync too??

More
12 Feb 2020 19:58 #218405 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
I think you are all overthinking this. If you are driving down a regular road and think you need to be in 4wd then push the lever and will sort itself out. If you are stuck in deep mud with the rear wheels spinning at 30mph and the front wheels stationary then wait for the wheels to stop spinning before selecting 4wd. I've done it at 60mph on the road with no issues (gen 3 manual transfer case) but the lever is slightly stiffer at speed because, as Facade points out, the syncro has to get the front driveline up to speed before it can mesh into gear.

The only time I've ever made it bang was messing around in the mud, 2wd low, sliding backwards with the wheels spinning forwards and then flicking my 2 low switch into 4wd, making the hubs engage the stationary front wheels to the rapidly rotating front driveshafts. But that's not a situation that's normal or easy to repeat!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
13 Feb 2020 06:01 #218421 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

Andy2640 wrote:
Im not sure about this. So accelerating slightly is a big no no in this case then, as this will be giving the rear wheels and prop etc more of a challenge for the front to sync too??

Only significant if the back wheels are spinning. I think the manual is translated wrong. The average non-mechanically sympathetic driver interprets all controls as fully on or fully off, so lifting up slightly would be a better instruction than stamping down.

If you aren't frantically spinning the wheels the system will cope. If you want it to last longer, keep the speed down. Dippng the clutch is easy on a manual, you treat is as a gearchange.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
13 Feb 2020 11:44 #218429 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
So I read the manual for my new Jimny last night.

Shifting from 2H to 4H is essentially shift on the fly rated to 60mph. To do this you need the wheels point straight (because the would be spinning at different speeds left to right if you are turning) and have the front and rear wheels moving at the same speed. Ie not wheel spinning. Revs are required for the vacuum operation of the front hubs. But no need to use the clutch or shift into neutral.

Obviously shifting at low speed or stationary is less risky of accidentally shocking the system, there is less potential energy involved. And trying not to shift when wheelspinning.

Shifting to low is different because you are actually swapping ratios in the transfer box. For this you’ll want to be in neutral and/or put your foot on the clutch. Stationary is probably best, but suspect rolling at walking pace and it’ll probably still be ok.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2020 22:10 #218467 by Andy2640

300bhpton wrote: So I read the manual for my new Jimny last night.

Shifting from 2H to 4H is essentially shift on the fly rated to 60mph. To do this you need the wheels point straight (because the would be spinning at different speeds left to right if you are turning) and have the front and rear wheels moving at the same speed. Ie not wheel spinning. Revs are required for the vacuum operation of the front hubs. But no need to use the clutch or shift into neutral.

Obviously shifting at low speed or stationary is less risky of accidentally shocking the system, there is less potential energy involved. And trying not to shift when wheelspinning.

Shifting to low is different because you are actually swapping ratios in the transfer box. For this you’ll want to be in neutral and/or put your foot on the clutch. Stationary is probably best, but suspect rolling at walking pace and it’ll probably still be ok.

Complete standstill/stopped for transfer to 4H to 4L. I think that a hard n fast rule to be honest mate.

More
14 Feb 2020 12:17 #218493 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

Andy2640 wrote:

300bhpton wrote: So I read the manual for my new Jimny last night.

Going down to low is hard to do whilst moving but shifting back up to high can easily be done on the move if you have a little mechanical aptitude. I haven't had any issues arise after doing it almost daily for the past 6 years.

Complete standstill/stopped for transfer to 4H to 4L. I think that a hard n fast rule to be honest mate.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds