BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Recommended suspension kit 2" for New Jimny?

• Aviv
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2020 14:20 #218211 by Aviv
I have a new Jimny 2020 and would like to install a new suspension kit lift 2".
If you have lifted your new Jimny I would love to get your input on the Kit model, your impression and overall performance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2020 18:10 #218229 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Recommended suspension kit 2" for New Jimny?
Im looking to fit one too.

Martin sells a great kit in his store, and ive also been looking at arbs old man emu kit.

Emu doesnt need a short front spring so keeps the 2 inch travel benefit

But yeah.... im in same boat, pondering which kit to choose.

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2020 18:46 #218237 by Grima
Emu is 40mm not 50mm (2in)
Trailmaster 2in lift only gives 1in articulation on the front.
Black Rapter 2in lift supplies a new cross member so the propshaft doesn't hit the original cross member, whatever that is?.

More
09 Feb 2020 18:58 #218240 by jackonlyjack
Cross member is part of chassis
Fits from chassis legs across the middle.the prop runs over the top
I have not looked under a gen4 so i'm assuming it unbolts
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grima

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
09 Feb 2020 19:18 #218241 by Grima
That's why I love this site, people with a life time of knowledge sharing with thick people like me a photo of a cross member would be most helpful.

More
More
10 Feb 2020 05:39 #218255 by crash486
Yes , the chassis member unbolts. Tough dog do a 40, 60, 80mm kit. Not sure of availability in UK.

crash486

• Aviv
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2020 07:37 #218258 by Aviv
Old Man emu released a new kit for the new Jimny but cost 50% more than the previous kit (which still fits the jimny). Any thoughts if it's worth the extra cost or not?

What about the other vendors, did any other vendor released a kit for the new Jimny or they're selling the same kit as for Jimny 2018?

More
11 Feb 2020 09:18 #218284 by crash486
OME is supposedly tailored to the new Jimny, there is a vid for it somewhere.
Tough Dog, 4xfour art and several others.

crash486

More
01 Apr 2020 14:03 - 01 Apr 2020 15:13 #220546 by DAGZOOK
Options are:

Tough Dog (Most comprehensive kit) - toughdogdealer.com.au/collections/suzuki-jimny-2019
Black Raptor Standard/Premium - www.jimnybits.com/jimny-18-on/suspension.html
Bilstein & HR lift kit - jimnystyle.com/collections/lift-kits
OME (ARB) - www.ebay.co.uk/i/133269061183?chn=ps&nor...bMBrRoxoCPCwQAvD_BwE
Trailmaster - (See martins Shop)

Looking at the different options and what they mean:

The Jimny requires a front cross member drop kit for anything greater than a true 45mm lift. Some manufactures (Trailmaster) have gotten around this by supplying 1" longer front shocks (opposed to 2") along with additional bump stops to limit articulation to prevent the front driveshaft hitting the cross member at full articulation and to prevent the front shocks 'topping out' which kind of defeats the point of a lift kit? I've discounted the trailmaster purely because of this - I think their kit would be fantastic value for money had they just supplied a crossmember drop kit and extended hoses? maybe they rushed their kit onto the market without properly thinking it through.

The OME, and Bilstein kits are only a 40mm lift therefore can be retrofitted easily with no cross member drop.

It's advised with ALL the lift kits specified above that an extended Brake Hose kit be fitted. The most comprehensive kits come with these as standard - others don't which is misleading and potentially dangerous. Goodridge do a really smart set of extended hoses for around £90 - they have a solid reputation for quality.

All kits supply an optional headlight adjustment bracket specifically required for the SZ5 Jimny with LED self levelling headlights.

The Tough Dog and Black Raptor kits are really comprehensive and come with a crossmember drop kit, extended brake lines meaning that you're getting the most out of your lift with no fear of clashes. (The tough dog is specified as being a 40mm lift - but is suspected to actually be more like a 45-50mm lift hence the crossmember drop kit).

At the moment my first two choices would be either the Tough Dog kit because of how comprehensive the kit is, it's priced at around £630 GBP. (You'd have to factor in international shipping). Or the Bilstein HR 40mm lift kit as and when they become available from Jimny style (£770), I've used Bilstein and HR in combination before and was blown away by quality and performance. B6 dampers are renowned internationally for their performance and longevity. Bilstein B6 dampers are a gas charged 'mono-tube' design, keeping things simple they are proven to be one of the toughest and most resistant to shock fade & oil cavitation during heavy usage, They can also be re-built if you know what you're doing.

To summarise, what will be required if you want to lift a Gen.4:

40mm = Extended Shocks, springs, extended brake hoses, head light adjustment bracket (SZ5 only).

50mm = Extended Shocks, Springs, extended brake lines, crossmember drop kit, headlight adjustment bracket (SZ5 only).

Optional parts are = Superpro caster correction bushes.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2020 15:13 by DAGZOOK.

More
01 Apr 2020 20:17 #220553 by Busta
Seems a shame to fit a lift kit, only to have the crossmember sticking down under the car like that robbing ground clearance. I'd be tempted to leave it off. I'm led to believe the rest of the chassis is unchanged from the gen3, which worked fine for 20 years without it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

More
01 Apr 2020 23:20 #220561 by 300bhpton

DAGZOOK wrote: Options are:

Tough Dog (Most comprehensive kit) - toughdogdealer.com.au/collections/suzuki-jimny-2019
Black Raptor Standard/Premium - www.jimnybits.com/jimny-18-on/suspension.html
Bilstein & HR lift kit - jimnystyle.com/collections/lift-kits
OME (ARB) - www.ebay.co.uk/i/133269061183?chn=ps&nor...bMBrRoxoCPCwQAvD_BwE
Trailmaster - (See martins Shop)

Looking at the different options and what they mean:

The Jimny requires a front cross member drop kit for anything greater than a true 45mm lift. Some manufactures (Trailmaster) have gotten around this by supplying 1" longer front shocks (opposed to 2") along with additional bump stops to limit articulation to prevent the front driveshaft hitting the cross member at full articulation and to prevent the front shocks 'topping out' which kind of defeats the point of a lift kit? I've discounted the trailmaster purely because of this - I think their kit would be fantastic value for money had they just supplied a crossmember drop kit and extended hoses? maybe they rushed their kit onto the market without properly thinking it through.

The OME, and Bilstein kits are only a 40mm lift therefore can be retrofitted easily with no cross member drop.

It's advised with ALL the lift kits specified above that an extended Brake Hose kit be fitted. The most comprehensive kits come with these as standard - others don't which is misleading and potentially dangerous. Goodridge do a really smart set of extended hoses for around £90 - they have a solid reputation for quality.

All kits supply an optional headlight adjustment bracket specifically required for the SZ5 Jimny with LED self levelling headlights.

The Tough Dog and Black Raptor kits are really comprehensive and come with a crossmember drop kit, extended brake lines meaning that you're getting the most out of your lift with no fear of clashes. (The tough dog is specified as being a 40mm lift - but is suspected to actually be more like a 45-50mm lift hence the crossmember drop kit).

At the moment my first two choices would be either the Tough Dog kit because of how comprehensive the kit is, it's priced at around £630 GBP. (You'd have to factor in international shipping). Or the Bilstein HR 40mm lift kit as and when they become available from Jimny style (£770), I've used Bilstein and HR in combination before and was blown away by quality and performance. B6 dampers are renowned internationally for their performance and longevity. Bilstein B6 dampers are a gas charged 'mono-tube' design, keeping things simple they are proven to be one of the toughest and most resistant to shock fade & oil cavitation during heavy usage, They can also be re-built if you know what you're doing.

To summarise, what will be required if you want to lift a Gen.4:

40mm = Extended Shocks, springs, extended brake hoses, head light adjustment bracket (SZ5 only).

50mm = Extended Shocks, Springs, extended brake lines, crossmember drop kit, headlight adjustment bracket (SZ5 only).

Optional parts are = Superpro caster correction bushes.

A lift is not directly related to suspension travel increases. And more flexy suspension doesn’t necessarily mean a lifted vehicle.

i.e.

Lifting a vehicle 40mm has no direct relation to giving you more down travel. So the amount of lift also has no relationship with if the front crossmember will be in the way or not.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds