BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2020 10:59 #217536 by Andy2640
ARB locking dif?? Gen 4. was created by Andy2640
Thinking about getting a rear locker from jimnybits.

However, im wondering how this will affect the front BLSD on the front wheels. Will the back be locked, but the front still doing its brake assisted limited slip diff thingymaabobby??

Wont this upset the system??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jan 2020 11:27 #217537 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
The locker should not affect the operation of the e-diff mechanism.

The e-diff detects wheelspin and applies brakes to that wheel to transfer the power to the wheels that are not spinning.

With the locker in, the rear wheels will effectively become joined together so this will ensure that the rear power goes to both wheels. It will still apply the brakes if it thinks a wheel is spining but this should be fine.

The fronts are separate so should operate at they always do. There might be some clunks and bangs around the point at which the e-diff thinks a spin is starting, it is these borderline cases that may be strange.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 Jan 2020 12:06 #217538 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
Thanks for that Martin.

What are your thoughts on the quiffe diff they offer?? Some rave about it, and others say its not so great.

Thank you in advance.

More
22 Jan 2020 13:21 #217539 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
Its hard to say

I have difficulty understanding why you would want to combine a Limited Slip Diff with a Limited Slip Diff which is what the e-diff is as far as I am concerned. The advantage of an LSD in a car without one at all is clear, it will improve traction. But in a car with one already, not sure.

If you are going to spend that kind of money then a full locker would seem to me to be better in my opinion,

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
22 Jan 2020 14:14 #217542 by Soeley
Replied by Soeley on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
I can only imagine that the LSD will just mean the wheel could spin less before the B-LSD kicks in? Just my thought.

More
23 Jan 2020 12:05 #217590 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
The Quaife ATB differential works very well with these electronic gizmo's. Torque biasing slipper with electronic cross axle braking. Gives an unstoppable axle.

I drove a gen4 on Gatescarth Pass for a short time, didn't like having to surrender control but the gizmo works and it didn't need an additional diff.

BUT

The Quaife ATB gives so much more to the car than off road ability. It effectively neutralises the chassis, removing under/over steer.

You wouldn't think that a Jimny would out handle saloon cars in any way, well mine does..... it has got good suspension and brakes too, but on fast twisty B roads the only thing it lacks is power, handling is not an issue. Most of that is down to the diff.

You'll be looking at around a thousand pounds to buy it and have it installed at a transmission shop.

Lockers are best for off road, a Quaife ATB in addition to the cross axle braking is just as effective but not as smooth (brake judder).

Lockers offer no benefit at all on tarmac, my car spends 95% of it's time on tarmac, easy decision.....

sniper

More
23 Jan 2020 12:21 #217591 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
For offroad use ARB no doubt. Proven quality over years.
It is 100% locked when it is on, and does not affect anything when it is switched off.
Some dislike the need for a compressor but I need one to fill the tires anyway.
For road use there is no point in the ARB.

Might be costly but if you invest the time and money you will get what you pay for with an ARB.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Jan 2020 12:55 #217594 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
Ohhhh thats why i looked at the Quiffe diff, its cus what i read from sniper a while back. The quiffe diff sounds awesome if it makes the jim a good handler on the tarmac and helps with the off road adventures too!

So im guessing that a rear locker is better than a front locker? Be great to have both, but 2k is a little out of reach at this point.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 Jan 2020 16:04 #217605 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic ARB locking dif?? Gen 4.
Having driven both mine and snipers back to back on the same day I am utterly convinced that the addition of the quaife to Dreadnaught would make it an absolute weapon on a short twisty circuit when power isn't an issue.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds