BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Just like the samurai.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2020 09:45 #217401 by Andy2640
Just like the samurai. was created by Andy2640
As my dear mother used to say, jack frost has been and this was the first morning the gen 4 has had in ice and frost.

Was stuck firm on my drive this morning due to a frozen hand brake. I had images of getting the hair dryer out and all sorts of crazy stuff. In the end the sun angle changed and within 20 mins i was free. It took a little revs too, which worried me slightly.

I know sams had this issue, and i assume all the zooks have it too. Any solutions for this, apart from the obvious?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2020 10:34 #217403 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Just like the samurai.
Yep frozen solid here as well, but never had any issues with the handbrake freezing, so was not aware it's a known problem on them.
I would guess if it happens it's probably water in the handbrake cable? but it's a complete guess on my part.
Water in the cable will depend upon its activities, ie off road or fording deep water etc, so unlikely to happen on a vehicle used predominantly on road as is ours (G3 just for clarity).
Interested to see what the cause is.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
19 Jan 2020 12:01 - 19 Jan 2020 12:03 #217404 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Just like the samurai.
I haven't experienced this on my Jimny and I regularly drive through some very deep puddles as well a local ford all year round. Could it have been wet discs and pads that were frozen?

The worst car I have ever experienced for freezing handbrake was a Vauxhall Meriva that my wife drove. On investigation, all the linkages were free (as I had expected), but I found it had major water ingress in the cable. Stupidly most modern car cables are not fitted with a grease-nipple halfway along them (probably for reasons of cost).
I ended up using a rather messy cable-oiler that I used on my motorbikes years ago - LIKE THIS ONE into which I forced a thick silicone oil.
It was clearly a common problem on the Meriva; I recall seeing one on a very wintry day leaving a supermarket carpark that was very iced-over, driving along with the rear wheels locked, just being dragged along! (Meriva was front-wheel drive)

The silicone oil fix had to be reapplied every other year or it would repeat the problem.. I did consider using a grease for marine applications with the thought that it would be very water repellant. but most cables have a plastic liner - using mineral oil would eventually destroy the liner.

Depending how difficult it is, removing the cable and submerging it in silicone oil could be an option or hanging the cable from one end and gravity-feeding it into the cable. Hopefully this is not going to be a problem for everyone

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 19 Jan 2020 12:03 by Max Headroom.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jan 2020 14:09 #217409 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Just like the samurai.
Dreadnaught has slept out every night for 9 years and has never once had the brakes freeze on regardless of how much ice there has been.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2020 18:36 #217425 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Just like the samurai.
It is a weird one. I did jet wash and clean the zook yesterday around 3 o clock. So perhaps the brakes got wet etc and froze up.

Glad to hear ypu lot havnt had the problem though, that is reasuring so thanks.

More
19 Jan 2020 18:57 - 19 Jan 2020 18:59 #217427 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Just like the samurai.
When you went to drive off, was there a loud thump as the brake pads released the discs? I get that every time I snow-foam and wash the car and dont take it for a drive straight after or leave it until the next day, or even later - the brakes seem to stick on - no matter what the weather or time of year

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 19 Jan 2020 18:59 by Max Headroom.

More
19 Jan 2020 21:17 #217438 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Just like the samurai.
I think you have found the culprit, washing the wheels the night before a freeze.:laugh:
After a wash I always do a few miles straight after to shake the water off the body and dry out the brakes. It's something I started when I had my VW as the rear drums would flash rust to the shoes when parked overnight after a wash, resulting in stuck handbrake. I have just carried on this tradition with the Jimny.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
20 Jan 2020 08:39 #217447 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Just like the samurai.
If it persists leave it in gear, handbrake off.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Jan 2020 09:57 #217450 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Just like the samurai.
Of course, it would of been my jetwashing, although it would of had plenty time to dry.

Thanks for the tips, next time ill take it round the block to dry off. It did make a thump when i forced it off, so was stuck frozen rather well. Maybe the snow foam didnt help either.

Next time i think ill leave it in 1st with hand brake off.

Thanks you lot.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds