BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

OSF Ball Joint Swivel and NSF Ball joint swivel

• msdj07
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jan 2020 17:13 #217349 by msdj07
My 2002 Jimny has just failed its MOT I have been quoted £340 for each of the above..i.e. a total of £680
Has anybody got any experience of this? Seems excessive to me
Thanks

Martyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2020 17:31 - 17 Jan 2020 17:33 #217351 by Busta
Sounds reasonable £340 a side is unreasonable! I'd pay that for both sides. Genuine parts are £90 a side, although the Bigjimny shop sells the same parts for £25 a side. It's about 3 hrs labour to do both sides. There is a good guide on here if you fancy saving a few quid and doing it yourself.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2020 17:33 by Busta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, msdj07

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
17 Jan 2020 17:40 #217353 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. Swearing isn't allowed on the forum but holy feck that is obscene. The problem is the kingpin bearings. They are 25 quid from the bigjimny store and then about an hour a side to install for a competent mechanic in a workshop. Someone is yanking your chain at 700 quid!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: msdj07

More
17 Jan 2020 23:21 #217377 by jackonlyjack
WoW the garage didn't fail it because of corrosion on swivel ball it's self ?
Is it leaking oil on both sides ?
It's not like a land rover swivel.........it can be really rusty ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Busta, msdj07

More
18 Jan 2020 09:12 #217381 by kirkynut
Yes, as above, what have they failed it on exactly?

What's the wording on the failure sheet?

Welcome along by the way!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
18 Jan 2020 10:23 #217383 by Max Headroom
If this is king-pin bearings and seals which it sounds to me like it is, I agree thats far too much £££ - either go somewhere else or give it a shot yourself - the parts won't break the bank. If you have a decent set of tools, a trolley jack and axle stands you can do it. yourself. There is a couple of good videos available; one on YouTube and one here (scroll down for the vid) ... HERE

I did mine on the ground and the hardest bit was getting the left hub assy to go back on without the bottom bearing dropping out all the time - it knackered my back for a while from the repeated attempts when I was already tired, but it did go back together. The right side wasnt a problem.
I imagine a fair bit easier on a ramp at waist height though.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
18 Jan 2020 17:31 - 18 Jan 2020 17:32 #217392 by Scimike
Och! - enough has been said about the price.

I'll just confirm what Max and others have said. This is quite an easy job that can be completed by the average DIYer, the video's on YouTube are very good and the parts good quality from Big Jimny.
I actually enjoyed doing the job.
Assuming it's your first time allow about 5 hours for both sides, it's not a race, more than enough time to have plenty cups of tea and admire your handy work.
Parts as stated are £45 ish a side, a torx socket for the hub about £4 from Halfords, everything else is basic hand tools.
I also refurbished my swivel balls at the same time (very rusty), this added £35 in very expensive paint and two extra days literally waiting for paint to dry.
Very optional the refurbishment, as mentioned it's ok for Jimny swivels to be rusty, I just hate rust and the seals not working as efficiently.
I had no issues with gravity as per Max, I guess my grease was a little more thick /sticky than his. I used Silkolene PRO RG2 Synthetic Racing Maintainance Grease, simply as I had a can and it's proven indestructible on my motorcycles.

So if you fancy it have a go yourself, but if not get another garage to quote you a better price.

Good luck
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 18 Jan 2020 17:32 by Scimike.

• msdj07
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2020 10:10 #217402 by msdj07
Thanks so much. I will try a few more garages I think

More
19 Jan 2020 12:07 #217405 by Max Headroom
Might be worthwhile trying to find somewhere that might be familiar with Jimny's. Bear in mind the set up is different to that on the Landrover - make sure the garage understand that!

Good luck. Let us know the outcome

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
19 Jan 2020 12:31 #217406 by jackonlyjack

• msdj07
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Jan 2020 18:19 #217423 by msdj07
About 8 miles north of Brecon

More
19 Jan 2020 23:18 #217441 by kirkynut
I still don't understand what it's failed on.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds