BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rust?. to buy or not to buy

More
01 Jan 2020 19:42 #216901 by JAGtheman
So heres the thing.. ex South African lots of 4x4 ownership experience now working in the UK. I need a small vehicle for the work I do and the Jimny fits my needs and my profile perfectly, BUT man alive what I read about rust issues is like having a crazy worm in my head. It seems that buying a non-new model is almost guaranteed to be an excercise in rust related frustration. The older the model, the greater the chance of hitting a bump and having my pax dissapear through a hole in the floor.

I was considering paying around £4-£5k for one and seem to have found a few with what appears to be low/no rust count, but am seriously wary of buying a bucket of frustration rather that a vehicle I would hope to have a heap of fun with.

Comments to guide me?

Julian
2008 Gen 3 Manual
Being completely revitalised

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jan 2020 20:27 - 01 Jan 2020 20:29 #216903 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Rust?. to buy or not to buy
The good thing about the Jimny is that in the majority of places you can see the rust.
The key areas are:-
1) Front body to chassis mount - difficult to see as it hides behind the front wheel arch liner, but rust stains on the liner (other side to wheel) or rust around / below the headlamp are warning signs. If you can see a little it's actually a lot more.
2) Boot floor above the rear silencer, any rust inside the jack tray has usually come from below.
3) Bottom of sills around drain holes etc.
4) Body to chassis mount just behind front wheels.
5) Body to chassis mount at rear of vehicle behind the rear wheels.

I have listed in what I consider to be the order of rot, but it's just my opinion and in no means a definitive list.

And now the good news.
For the most part the chassis is thick enough not to be an issue, but it can show signs of surface rust around welds and the mounts behind the front wheels as the underseal fails.
If you find one with no or limited surface rust just budget in getting it treated with a wax etc, it should be fine.
You can find good ones at any age, previous owners and use tends to impact how they look underneath, so cost is not a factor, although generally newer gets you less rust. I have seen them at 1 year old with surface chassis rust.

So if you can get it on a ramp and have a good look around. I did this with ours (2009), and yes it had surface rust in places but I treated it myself and it's now perfect - even the MOT man was impressed and commented this year. So just hang out for a good one and if you are unsure about condition walk away and look at another.

It's a great little 4x4 and well worth finding a good example, it puts a smile on our faces every time we drive it.
Good luck hunting
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Jan 2020 20:29 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2020 05:20 #216911 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rust?. to buy or not to buy
This is the exact reason why we bought Dreadnaught new and The Grey One about as new as we could find for a gen3 auto. I don't mind spending money and time to keep a vehicle clean underneath because I hate having to do rust repairs, welding on cars is NOT my favourite thing to do. Now this does have a consequence, it means that you are spending quite a lot of money on a new clean starting point which it can be argued that for the same budget you could buy an older less clean version and keep the rest of the money in the bank until you have to do rust repairs. I would contend that you're going to have a more valuable asset in a newer clean car that is only occasionally going to offer mechanical issues than an older car that you are constantly wondering about the state of the metal work.

Having said all that I am lucky to be financially stable enough to support my decision process with new and nearly new vehicles, not everyone else is. Mike has listed the most obvious issues above and there's also a buying guide in the Jimny information section on the top banner. Ultimately you have to buy the cleanest car you can afford and there's many to choose from.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Keirravn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2020 08:18 #216916 by Keirravn
Replied by Keirravn on topic Re:Rust?. to buy or not to buy
It might be worth considering an older vehicle that has been thoroughly repaired so you know exactly what you're getting. Or a cheap one with a long mot so that no matter what you get a year out of it and can punt it on without losing much money.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

More
02 Jan 2020 16:19 #216935 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Rust?. to buy or not to buy
My 2011 has surface rust on the chassis, I noticed it when fitting a tow bar and also on the rear diff. The chassis rust is more just the paint pealed off. The body looks clean though, no signs of rust you mentioned above.

If I were to treat it what is the best solution, Wax oil or does it need somethig else?

Is the rear diff anything to worry about?

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Jan 2020 16:34 #216937 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rust?. to buy or not to buy
The diff isn't really an issue but aesthetically pleasing when painted. From a prevention point of view actual hammerite waxoyl isn't a bad budget option. There are other options at higher price points. If it were a new car or you have enough patience to thoroughly clean and properly prepare your chassis/underbody I would suggest upol raptor bed liner as it is simple and effective.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Jan 2020 21:07 #216948 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Rust?. to buy or not to buy
www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/11-for-...iver-from-new#216930

Could try this in the for sale section?

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds