BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wheels and tyres

• Samthejimnyfan
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2019 11:41 #216483 by Samthejimnyfan
Wheels and tyres was created by Samthejimnyfan
I've done a lot of searching on the web and forum. I know its annoying when people post a topic thats been aired many times however trying to get a clear answer is a struggle.

We have a 2006 VVT which we want to change from the standard alloys and 205 to the black steel modulars with either a 215, 225 or 235 profile mud tyre. Ideally we would like to go to 235 on 16" wheels with the -30 offset. And eventually add a 2" lift. Without modifying the bodywork/wheel arches. But as its been said many times on here, wheels and tyres can be an extensive mistake. So can I appeal for the benefit of your experience here in terms of:

Will a 235 tyre on a 16" rim clear the body work using the -30 offset wheels?

If not, what combination for a 16" - would it be 215 or 225. Or to do a 16" do we need to do the lift at the same time regardless really of width?

If the 16" is a problem, will a 235x75x5 fit the wheel arches?

And finally, I've read comments about fitting a VVT diff to ease the gearing issue and so ease the strain on the clutch. Is this correct? And if as it is we have a VVT stock vehicle, is that in our benefit.

I'm really grateful for you kind advice and experience.

Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2019 12:08 #216484 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Wheels and tyres
225/75/16 km2's with a total lift of 3"
caught on chassis front mount bent out the way with a big bar fit fine
with 32mm spacers added catching arches
with a 2" lift and -30 off set i would say stick with 215/75/15 or 215/70/16
Anything over 28" tall is going to get expensive with gearing modifications

More
15 Dec 2019 12:14 #216485 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Wheels and tyres
If you go above 215/75x15 you start to have gearing issues, many will say they run 235's and they are fine, well they are not. You will damage and break things in the drivetrain. Diffs, CV's are put under pressure when you start fitting big wheels.

I am not saying don't do it .... but understand that you will need to spend much more than the cost of wheels and tyres.

Your car is the same model as mine, I run 215/75x15 BFG KO2 AT's and they worked fine with standard suspension and are not out of place with the now, 45mm lift.

If you want to run 16" wheels, the best answer is to change the weak R72 gearbox and electronic transfer box for the earlier R7ME gearbox and the manual transfer box. I think up to 30" will be reliable then and you get rid of a gearbox that will cause problems... mine hit me for £720...

sniper

More
15 Dec 2019 12:20 #216486 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Wheels and tyres
I go on the lanes with sniper and his Jimny does very well
Just pick your lines and you will get through :)

Jack
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
18 Dec 2019 07:52 #216537 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Wheels and tyres
I'm not so knowledgeable about the clearance of all the sizes you ask about as I've run a 3" lift for 10 years and therefore have not had to worry too much.

In respect of gearing, the VVT diffs reduce the overall gearing on pre VVT cars but not on your VVT as your transfer box/gearbox have higher gearing to counter this, so no, you don't have a head start.

I have 235.75.15's and can tell you that I need that 10% reduction in high ratio provided by my Rocklobster. It would be painfully slow otherwise!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds