BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Tyres

• Grima
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2019 16:13 #216454 by Grima
Tyres was created by Grima
Hi, any reason not to fit " Falken A-T AT01 " 215 75 R15 tyres on a 2019 Jimny?
Look good
Mid range
C rating on wet roads
72 decibels
All the other tyres I have looked at have an E rating on wet roads, anybody tried the Falken?
BFG jumped from £124 to £143 per corner (piss take) so there out of the window.
Don't hold back, Hit me with both barrels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2019 17:09 #216456 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Tyres
If they will fit without hitting the body etc (I don't know myself) and they fit your budget and performance requirements I say go for it.
I have in the past when cash is tight fitted some quite unknown makes and in the real world they have all been as good as the premium makes I have also fitted.
Yes in test conditions, pushed to the maximum, I am sure they would loose out, but I am not in a competitive driving event, so it does not matter to me.
Tyres are a can of worms, the best make is always the one currently fitted.
The only sound advice is to avoid remoulds, fitting any new "cheap make" is a better option in my opinion.
Have fun
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Grima
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2019 17:49 #216461 by Grima
Replied by Grima on topic Tyres
Falken A/T AT01 Tyre
They are a Jap Company with plants in US & Germany from what I can find. So not a small company. BMW, JEEP, RR, LR, ECT ECT. are big names that sell but there cars are unreliable. I'm not happy paying twice the price for one BFG tyre, just because there in fashion & the sheep follow. I will be a test case for others if this helps. A Jap AT tyre for a Jap 4x4. Will let you now how they fair.

More
14 Dec 2019 18:35 #216464 by Scimike
Yep go for it, sure they will be fine.
I also cannot bring myself to spend £££ money per corner when alternative makes have performed just as well in side by side tests. My needs are road biased, so when replacement time comes I will go for All Season type. Not much feedback on this site for road biased tyres, so also going it alone. The make I have in mind is half the price of the premium equivalent, but actually performs just as well in side by side comparison tests.
The cheaper makes are also not as painful on the pocket to replace if you are unlucky off road (or hit a pot hole) and subject the tyre to damage.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Grima
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2019 19:07 #216465 by Grima
More AT than just road use.
Attachments:

More
14 Dec 2019 20:42 #216469 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Tyres
What about Toyo Open Country A/T
You will get 4 for less than 300 quid
I used toyo car tyres for many years good in my opinion
If you would like something more aggressive with good road manners
Kumho KL71's

More
14 Dec 2019 20:47 - 14 Dec 2019 20:48 #216470 by jackonlyjack
Last edit: 14 Dec 2019 20:48 by jackonlyjack. Reason: added a price
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grima

More
14 Dec 2019 22:44 #216472 by Scimike
If you go for the Paddocks option don't assume you will get free delivery as the order is over £60. Size restrictions apply (small print) and they don't elaborate any further. A chap on the Landy Forum I am on ordered 4 tyres from them and due to the pallet size a charge was made for delivery. If he had placed 4 individual orders, each sent separately, the individual package sizes would not have resulted in a carriage charge.

It's a funny old world.

I personally prefer the Falken tread pattern aesthetics over the BFG and they do appear to have a good reputation from the general reviews I have seen.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Grima

• Grima
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Dec 2019 23:21 - 15 Dec 2019 20:22 #216473 by Grima
Thanks for the replies, now wait till they open.
£600 BFG if there in stock + not so free carriage.
£322.50 + free carriage.
Will Falken be a stupid price next year? it's only word of mouth that sells.
Last edit: 15 Dec 2019 20:22 by Grima.

• Grima
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
16 Dec 2019 21:21 #216517 by Grima
Falken in 215 75 r15 are rarer than new Jimnys. Looks like lazy sellers can't update there web site but offer more expensive tyres they can't sell. So I have sold a kidney & gone for the BFG ko2 from Paddock. Thanks Mr Jackonlyjack for the heads up.

• Grima
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Dec 2019 19:34 #216527 by Grima
Spoke to Paddock I was assured they could have them in 1 to 2 days. Postage was free. So I went ahead & paid for 5 tyres. This morning got a call from Paddock sorry supplier out of stock!!! Is the world full of A*se Holes.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Dec 2019 05:04 - 18 Dec 2019 05:04 #216533 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Tyres
Customer service and satisfaction seems to be an ever dwindling resource in the modern marketplace, yes there are still suppliers who are serious about offering a good experience but there are so many more who just want the revenue and not the work. It's becoming endemic.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 18 Dec 2019 05:04 by Lambert.

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds