BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Heated screen?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Dec 2019 12:17 #216388 by Lambert
Heated screen? was created by Lambert
Whatcha. Does anyone know if there was ever a Jimny gen3 that had a heated front windscreen? Has anyone had one offered as a replacement for a cracked screen and reverse engineered the wires?

Thanks in advance.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Dec 2019 15:29 #216400 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Heated screen?
Hi Lambert, I had one of these for a VW Golf a couple of years ago. Screen people fitted it and I wired it (basic stuff - fuse relay switch, done). Apparently they're copies of the Ford quickclear screen and when the patent lapsed an after market company started making them. I never really got on with it as I found the strange pattern in the glass (a sort of honeycomb) disconcerting after dark.
Chris

More
11 Dec 2019 21:25 - 11 Dec 2019 21:27 #216414 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Heated screen?
Its is possible to do, the main issue is finding a supplier of a heated screen for the Jimny. As Chris said you can see the heating element wires in the screen if you look for them, but for me I did not mind the pattern in the glass.
I have them fitted in my 1960 series 2 Land Rover at the moment, the club did a group purchase from a Spanish manufacture of about 50 units at approx £120 a set, so you can get heated screens for anything if you can get enough people interested.
I made own wiring loom using the screen timer relay from a scrap Ford, works well and a must have in water logged Land Rover.
Not sure the Jimny ever have this as an option, it's an 80's design with little modernisation, not sure it's even an available on the GEN4.
May your windows stay clear.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Dec 2019 21:27 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Keithy, Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
12 Dec 2019 05:14 #216415 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Heated screen?
I think it's a combination of use and deterioration that is causing me to want one. I suspect that my heater matrix is not running as efficiently as possible but I don't want to get involved with replacement unless I have no choice. Compounding that is being in and out of the car all the time in all weathers and consequently transferring quite a lot of moisture into the car on wellies and clothing etc which has left me with a few occasions of having to scrape ice off both sides of the windshield which is just as much fun as it sounds. I suppose the other alternative would be a few kilos of that silica drying stuff?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Dec 2019 07:53 #216416 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Heated screen?
Sometimes you don't see the grime/dirt on the inside but a good clean helps to clear it quicker ;)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
12 Dec 2019 17:32 #216432 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Heated screen?
Use the aircon to clear it, works a treat. Also as Daniel says, clean glass clears faster :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
18 Dec 2019 08:38 #216538 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Heated screen?
To be honest the heater warms up quickly and the fan is strong, so is there really a need?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Dec 2019 09:26 #216542 by Lambert
When you are heading out to work at 4 in the morning and the screen is frozen on both sides then yeah it would be useful mostly because getting out of bed even earlier just to sit and clear the screen is too much for my laziness to stomach! :laugh:

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2019 11:36 #216547 by Daniel30
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Dec 2019 15:22 #216550 by Lambert
Yeah nah. Ill pass on shattering my screen every morning ta.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Dec 2019 17:42 #216558 by Daniel30
Oh..... I meant leave it on over night in the jim to keep it from icing up :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
01 May 2022 19:41 #243199 by Darthblaker7474
Replied by Darthblaker7474 on topic Heated screen?
I believe the high-spec JDM ones did, the wires are similar to the ones on the rear glass and are at the bottom of the screen so it would seem

I found this out yesterday and I'm already looking at importing one 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds