BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Massive probs 6 months in

More
25 Nov 2019 18:59 #215961 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Massive probs 6 months in
^^^^^^^^^^ great idea.
Plenty of helpful people on here that will give you an unbiased opinion.
Happy to help if you are near gloomy Stoke on Trent :laugh:
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Teachywitch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2019 11:04 #215971 by Teachywitch
Replied by Teachywitch on topic Massive probs 6 months in
Thanks Mike - I'm in Cornwall so prob not! :)

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Nov 2019 11:06 #215972 by Teachywitch
Hi Jack, I hear ya, but the guys at these garages are helping me out by checking it over and neither want to do the work as it's getting closer to a rebuild than a few repairs by the looks of things today :(

More
26 Nov 2019 17:48 #215984 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Massive probs 6 months in
Hi,

Sorry to read about your problems. I bought a Jimny from a garage just over a month ago, paid more than you (its a 61 plate), but within 2 days it had spilled it's power steering fluid over the floor and had to go back. This was from a garage that provided a 168 point check and MOT on the vehicle, but still missed the corroded pipes? I think it is a little game the garages play, see what they can get away with, if you don't come back, they win, so pester them.

Anyway back to your problem, a Jimny is a four wheel drive vehicle, switchable in to two wheel drive and yours isn't. It sounds like something is wrong with the rear transmission, so they have disconnected it and forced the two front wheels to be permanently connected, removing the 2/4 wheel switch function. You have therefore have a 2 wheel drive car.

Depending on how the garage has done it and you will need to get an inspection to prove it, it most likely won't be wear and tear, they will have bodged or removed something, you will therefore have a very good case at Trading Standards unless they told you the car was modified. Have you still got a copy of the original advert?

If you are going down this route, don't worry about the 6 months, after all you phoned the garage as soon as you got home. If not try to see what the garage will do to avoid court action. Again you might need to get an inspection report done. Don't be shy keep pestering them, tell them you don't know much about cars, that is why you didn't spot it earlier, but have been speaking to Citizens Advice and they have outlined your options.

I would like to say it will be easy to sort out, but my first ever car (33 years ago) turned out to be a lemon and it took months to get it sorted out. I had to get a motor engineer to inspect it and threaten to go to court, all the time my car sat outside. Fortunately, I had a big motorbike for transport, but it was still no fun.

Good luck.
Robin

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

More
28 Nov 2019 07:33 #216035 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Massive probs 6 months in
I don't understand the rear prop shaft disconnected thing but I wonder if part of the garage's diagnostic process was to remove the rear prop from the rear diff to hear the rear diff without any of the other transmission components spinning, in order to isolate the noise?

A slightly whining diff could go on like that for some time but would need replacing with a good second hand one sooner or later. Not expensive to buy but a little bit of labour.

Freeing up front brake sliders is easy and just a bit of time, maybe 3/4 hour. It might need new sliders and seals, cheap enough from the BigJimny Store or the might clean up ok on a wire brush wheel.

The front wheel bearing is no biggie to change but needs the tool. The garage will have a press to push it out and in. With a new set of Kingpin bearings and a seal the leak will definitely be sorted.

The 4wd pipes are not dangerous but may leave you without 4wd. Not something that stops you driving it daily in 2wd or part of an MOT. You can do away with them and get manual hubs for about £80 or make them fixed for free as per my guide on the Technical section.

So I'd say all age related but the garage ought not have sold it with them. They could have not shown up 6 months ago to be fair to them.

This is all work I'd do myself, so to me it's not a biggie and I've done it all on mine but I understand if you start adding labour on it's going to get expensive.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
28 Nov 2019 21:09 #216052 by X8GGY
Replied by X8GGY on topic Massive probs 6 months in
One thing I thought of the other day... when was the vehicle last MOT'ed and where?...

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2019 15:05 #216127 by Teachywitch
Hu Robin, thanks for your reply, sorry to hear you had all that trouble too. Your rear transmission explanation sounds right; now I have had a more thorough inspection and taken photos of the underneath with damaged and missing parts. This was supposedly a newly in px which hadn't been listed on website yet when I phoned about another Jimny which they said had was already taken. I shall keep pestering!

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2019 15:09 #216128 by Teachywitch
Hi, it was MoT'd the week of sale by the garage's regular local MoT garage. I suspect I shall be pushing back on both garages to be at fault on this one. They seem to think having an MoT makes it ok to drive around, all covered, despite it being condemned! One of my local garages has looked at online MoT records and some things have been advisories since 2015 and never sorted.

• Teachywitch
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Dec 2019 15:52 #216129 by Teachywitch
Hi all, thank you so much for your comments.
As some comments on this forum suggest some people might be happy to take on a Jimny like this as a project I thought I would post again and see what you thought it might be worth for sale??
I have attached pics showing the space from transfer box to rear axle where missing rear prop shaft should be; disconnected, perished corroded 4wd metal and rubber vaccuum pipes; front heavily pitted swivel hubs (welded on so new axle required) with leaking seals which have contaminated the front tyres making rubber soft and pliable.
Other known issues: NSF wheel bearing needs replacing, very noisy on rotation and has play.
Maintenance wear and tear issues include uneven wear to front pads due to caliper slides being seized.
Further issues likely but not identified at this point.
More pics of underside but didn't want to crash the site!
Any thoughts on resale value of this vehicle if I was to advertise honestly as a project for an enthusiast?!
2005 Jimny with known faults above. In theory has 6 months MoT remaining although local garage has advised not to drive in its current condition. 52k miles. Collection Penzance.
Attachments:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Dec 2019 17:41 #216131 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Massive probs 6 months in
It doesn't need a new front axle. The pitting of the swivel balls isn't a problem. The seals that run on them are to keep dust and other rubbish out not keeping oil and grease in so replacement of the kingpin bearings, inner oil seals and wheel bearings as necessary will fix the axle to a satisfactory level. If you get quotes on the repairs we can look them over and confirm what is necessary. Many garages will have some experience with land rover but that doesn't always transfer to Suzuki.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Dec 2019 18:23 #216133 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Massive probs 6 months in
I think I know what the problem is.

FIrst of all, as you can tell from the replies from the others on this forum. The bearings, Kingpin bearings, pitted swivels and stuck caliper slider are just run of the mill Suzuki Jimny issues. It does not need a new axle. A Jimny expert can sort those out in a mornings hard work.

However the missing rear prop is a mystery until you revealed it is a 2005. This is an electronic transfer box, I bet it is stuck in 4 Wheel Drive. The electric acutator is either broken or the lack of vacuum has left it in 4Wd and its confused.

To sell it, some less than honest person, has removed the rear prop so that it is driving through the front wheels.

Therefore a simple exchange for a used transfer box (between £130 and £180) from a scrapyard (plus a new prop) will sort it.

Thats my bet.

I you are looking to sell it to someone as a project, start your price reasonably high as there is not an awful lot wrong.

Martin

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
01 Dec 2019 20:03 - 01 Dec 2019 20:04 #216136 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Massive probs 6 months in
As said it seems a real shame that your Jimny experience is so poor due to someone passing on a vehicle in a bodged condition.
The selling dealer really should have noticed a missing rear propshaft , even if the chances are it was the previous owner who swapped it , in part ex.
The front axle issues are no where near as bad as it looks .
Who MOT'd the car? Was it done by the selling dealer , if so the missing propshaft should have been mentioned , maybe with the newer regulations a failure , as the car is meant to be rear wheel drive first.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2019 20:04 by Fossie.

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds