BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Recommended Basic Tool Kit to Carry

More
16 Nov 2019 15:13 #215691 by Soeley
Just after recommendations of what tools to carry in the car. This is mostly for when out off-roading as I have the RAC for on road.

It got me thinking at the BigJimny Meet as tools were being asked for and Martin commented that everyone that has a Jimny should carry a #10 Torx (?) socket for the front hub covers.

Any small socket sets to recommend that will have enough in it cover most emergencies?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
16 Nov 2019 16:27 #215694 by Riccy
Something like this is enough to get you out of basic problems:

www.screwfix.com/p/bahco-s330-mixed-driv...al_details_container

The torx 10 bit is only for the vac hubs, but handy if you have them still :whistle:

Would add that self-amalgamating tape, duck/duct tape, tie wraps and electrical tape all have their uses as well as a big breaker bar and pruning saw.

For serious trips I have a big box which has things like circlip pliers, wheel bearing tool, ball joint splitter, drill & bits, grinder, impact tool, spare front bearing assembly, spare manual hub, spare rear shafts & bearings, pipe of various size, airline couplers, bits of wire & electrical connectors, all sorts really. That box is left somewhere nearby if possible as its heavy!

Goes without saying, but i will say it, fire extinguisher and 1st aid kit are a must too.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
16 Nov 2019 17:38 #215695 by RainerK
I use a Proxxon Industrial 23650 and in addition a small multimeter and a 1/4 bit set, a saw and tapes. It all fits into the Proxxon box.

More
17 Nov 2019 21:28 #215724 by Soeley
Thanks Riccy, plenty to think about there. By the way is your real name Hannibal Smith? B)

RainerK thanks, never heard of that make before, I'll look into them.

More
26 Nov 2019 13:14 #215977 by Max Headroom
A charged-up mobile phone ;)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
26 Nov 2019 14:12 #215978 by Soeley

Max Headroom wrote: A charged-up mobile phone ;)

Lol, never without!

More
26 Nov 2019 16:32 - 26 Nov 2019 16:32 #215979 by Max Headroom
:)

Its the same question often posed by the vintage car crowd - problem being that its hard to know what eventualities can occur and those old cars have very limited space to carry anything compared to a Jimny.

I ALWAYS carry a basic kit consisting of various screwdrivers spanners, hammer, mole-grips, socket set along with plenty of tie-wraps; locking wire; and any parts that are good for roadside fixes such as fan belt, plugs and points etc but its a bit different with a 'modern' car.

I also learned on the Jimny convertible that its worthwhile carrying a spare header-rail clamp; not long after I first bought the car, one of the clamps let go and broke in torrential rain at 50mph - it almost ripped the Targa-roof off!
I literally had to drive to work holding the roof down with one hand, at a very slow speed.
The broken clamp was less than useless and couldn't be repaired as its overcomplicated for what it does.
At work I secured the roof shut with locking wire, but I now carry a spare clamp

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 26 Nov 2019 16:32 by Max Headroom.

More
27 Nov 2019 15:41 #216019 by treps
The Proxxon kit looks really neat and just about right for my limited mechanical capabilities. Thank you.

More
28 Nov 2019 07:11 #216034 by kirkynut
I have a Halfords 200 piece toolkit and a small tool box with grips, screwdrivers, circlip tools etc.

The Halfords kit has all the sockets you will need on a Zuke and torx bits. It also has ratchet spanners, which are really useful for tight spaces or doing things up quicker. Get it when it's on offer rather than full price, which is often!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
29 Nov 2019 20:41 #216072 by jackonlyjack
+1 on the Halfords 200 piece i got mine for £135 a good few years back
When you break bits just take it in store and walk out with a replacement for life :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

More
29 Nov 2019 23:05 #216073 by Soeley
Halfords currently have two 200 piece sets. Which is it you guys have?

This one

Or

This one?

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Nov 2019 09:28 #216077 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Recommended Basic Tool Kit to Carry
I have the top one it's still very shiny as I'm to scared to use it as I normally tend to make things worse when I get the tools out :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: last time I tinkered with the mini it went away on a flat bed AA lorry :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds