BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Nominations for the most irritating Gen 4 switchgear go to:......

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Nov 2019 23:43 #215289 by Dorsetdumpling
A): The rear wash wipe knob which has a ‘wash but no wipe’ setting which sends a stream of water straight down the rear window. By the time you click the knob to the ‘wipe’ setting, past the ‘off’ setting, the water has all run off.

B): The light knob which has an ‘auto’ and ‘manual’ headlamp setting for dip/main beam. If you have a crisis of confidence in the auto system, and decide to take manual control, switching from one to the other takes you through the ‘sidelight’ setting which plunges you into partial darkness as you drive.

C):.....over to you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2019 11:18 - 02 Nov 2019 11:24 #215301 by facade

Dorsetdumpling wrote: A): The rear wash wipe knob which has a ‘wash but no wipe’ setting which sends a stream of water straight down the rear window. By the time you click the knob to the ‘wipe’ setting, past the ‘off’ setting, the water has all run off.

Can't say as I've noticed tbh.

The light knob which has an ‘auto’ and ‘manual’ headlamp setting for dip/main beam. If you have a crisis of confidence in the auto system, and decide to take manual control, switching from one to the other takes you through the ‘sidelight’ setting which plunges you into partial darkness as you drive.

Yes, if I'd designed it, you would turn the switch one way for "atomic= like radioactive decay- completely at random" and the other way for side & head, with OFF as the second position. It is the same in the Renault Nissan, and no doubt in every other car in the world though, so clearly I am the only person in the whole wide world who thinks this- but I'm more concerned with not flashing the headlights and taking another few hours off the bulb life

C):.....over to you

• The bank of switches for the TLAs down on the right where I cannot see them unless I crouch under the dash.

The stupid placement of the window switches.

Every car I've driven, apart from a Talbot Samba, had the switches on the door, it is the correct/natural place- where I expect to find them, not in the middle with identical switches that don't seem to do anything.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 02 Nov 2019 11:24 by facade.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2019 12:12 #215350 by CC Baxter
Good to see a little criticism aimed at the Gen4. Switches offer generally a poor layout but credit where it's due they've got the stalks the correct way round. Wiper stalk should always be against the window so LHD and RHD are not the same part.
"You just get used to it" is no excuse for poor design, and speaking of which...
Rain gutters - why no drains at the rear? Rain just sits on the roof and gurgles at medium speeds. Chris

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Nov 2019 12:39 #215352 by Lambert
I would take issue with the indicator being on the left hand side of a right hand drive car. The indicator should be on the right hand side as you use your left hand to change gear so that way you have the ability to easily notify your intent to other road users even while changing gear. You are much less likely to have to engage the wiper while changing gear.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Nov 2019 13:02 #215353 by CC Baxter
I think the reasoning for wipers on the outside is that vision takes priority over signalling. You can signal early or late but you need to see now.
Chris

• Lambert
    Registered
More
04 Nov 2019 13:45 #215355 by Lambert
Not sure about that. The indicator right has long been the norm on many British built vehicles as we are right hand drive. What changed that is the influx of European manufacturers as the uk car industry died and those European makers simply swapped the entire driving position of the car without retooling the column switches this is also true for the likes of the Japanese cars designed primarily for the European market that weren't released in the Japanese domestic market. Over time people have got used to the switches being the wrong way round to the extent that the proper way is now often considered wrong.

More
04 Nov 2019 13:49 - 04 Nov 2019 13:50 #215356 by facade

CC Baxter wrote: I think the reasoning for wipers on the outside is that vision takes priority over signalling. You can signal early or late but you need to see now.
Chris

I do believe that Europe has the wipers on the right, and they drive on the wrong side of the road :) so that rather shoots that theory down ;)

I think the speedo should be on the left, and the indicators on the right, like in the old one tbh, but I think Suzuki went all Euro when they bought in the VVT and swapped everything over then.

You might ask why I bought a Gen4 if there is so much to criticise- well really I wanted to get the last of the Gen 3 at a knockdown price, but the prices shot up not down. Keeping the old one wasn't really worth it as it won't last another 20 years, and I wanted an auto.
If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start loo

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 04 Nov 2019 13:50 by facade.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
04 Nov 2019 13:57 #215357 by Lambert
They changed the gen3 at the stormtrooper facelift, the 05 to13 cars are the sensible way round.

More
05 Nov 2019 08:06 #215382 by Soeley

Dorsetdumpling wrote: A): The rear wash wipe knob which has a ‘wash but no wipe’ setting which sends a stream of water straight down the rear window. By the time you click the knob to the ‘wipe’ setting, past the ‘off’ setting, the water has all run off.

There are two wash positions. As you say turn know down for wash only, turn back up past Off and onto wipe, then turn up again and hold to wash and wipe. This top position is a self return.

More
05 Nov 2019 12:11 #215386 by saxj
Interestingly, and quite happily for me, the indicator stalk is on the right side, and we also drive on the correct side of the road.

The rear washer switch is daft. A very useless wash only and no intermittent.

The other useless thing is the ESP off button. It turns back on at 30kph, which is a waste of time. The ESP doesn't do much below 30kph anyway.

More
05 Nov 2019 12:23 - 05 Nov 2019 12:26 #215387 by facade
I saw somewhere that the reason we and every country that we influenced drive on the correct side, whilst everyone else drives on the right, is purely because the French invented driving on the right, for some totally practical and sensible reason that I forget now, and Britain would rather die screaming than do what the French said, no matter how impractical doing the opposite was. :laugh:

(No doubt the USA drive on the wrong side for a similar reason to to with the burning the Whitehouse and the Soaking of the Tea incident)

Last edit: 05 Nov 2019 12:26 by facade.

• Jimmysgen4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Nov 2019 14:46 #215393 by Jimmysgen4
I keep catching the steering wheel mounted Bluetooth set up switch with my gangly legs

Time to create page: 0.212 seconds