BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Dash cam

More
04 Oct 2019 17:01 #214310 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Dash cam
Been using a Transcend Drivepro220 64gb card for a few years......plays back on google maps lane guidance etc....aka records my route.....perfect thus far.

I'm upgrading to the Drivepro230.....128gb supported 9 hours of recording.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel30

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2019 17:08 #214311 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Dash cam
It records in 5min blocks continually
You can press lock button and save that block recording

More
05 Oct 2019 00:56 #214323 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Dash cam
I think the "choose based on what you want it to do" approach is the best. I have a Thinkware that is a couple of years old. I remember someone else (maybe Andy) buying a BlackVue. Both excellent quality. I'm not sure you would want to spend that much if your primary use is just to save videos of off-raod adventures.

Although you would probably want to purchase locally, this website has some decent information about features and brands:
blackboxmycar

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Oct 2019 05:56 #214325 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Dash cam
Am I right in thinking that all monitor gps to give a location and speed data? Also I have heard reports that the police have been interrogating them for evidence of prior behaviour as in you get a tug for 54 in a 50 the copper then sees the dashcam and looks back through it and gets you for having a recording of you driving a tro'd lane or going deliberately off track causing damage and you then get done for that too because you incriminated yourself even though you weren't caught in the act. Ok none of us would do that because we have respect but my concern is still valid everyone has done something at some point that they would prefer remaining quiet. Still unconvinced.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Oct 2019 09:44 #214346 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Dash cam
Mine shows no speed on play back so i doubt it has gps info
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
05 Oct 2019 10:27 #214349 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Dash cam
I have a Nextbase 212, looks like the 612 Gadget refers too, except it is 1080 not 4k, and it doesn't have GPS.

Plus points

That slide mount is great, you can remove the camera without disturbing the aim.

Minus points

The file sizes are huge, given the poor quality of the video. (AVC codec @ 16.8 Mb/s 1920x1080 30fps)
The video is poor, you can only read the registration of a car that you get close enough to actually run into, but it is good enough to show that the car in front reversed into you, or swerved onto your side or something. Low light performance is awful, but to be fair, you'd expect it to be, when you have high intensity light sources and low lighting in the same frame.
The suction mount lets go when parked in hot weather.
The power adaptor fills the socket, and is joined to the lead rather than plugged on, so to power more than one device you need those massive adaptors, or you have to buy an extra long lead with a plug to use a 2 way USB 5V adaptor.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert, Daniel30

More
05 Oct 2019 19:12 - 05 Oct 2019 19:13 #214370 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Dash cam

Lambert wrote: Am I right in thinking that all monitor gps to give a location and speed data? Also I have heard reports that the police have been interrogating them for evidence of prior behaviour as in you get a tug for 54 in a 50 the copper then sees the dashcam and looks back through it and gets you for having a recording of you driving a tro'd lane or going deliberately off track causing damage and you then get done for that too because you incriminated yourself even though you weren't caught in the act. Ok none of us would do that because we have respect but my concern is still valid everyone has done something at some point that they would prefer remaining quiet. Still unconvinced.

No they don't all do it, but if you want speed / gps recording you pay extra for it. I have Nextbase 512 installed in my Jimny with speed and location recording enabled, simply as I never speed, not even by 1mph. My classics all have the simpler 112 installed as the much smaller footprint is easier to hide on the smaller windscreens. No speed or GPS on these.

I like having them as it records all car and pedestrian based idiots and my (so far) successful avoidance of their actions. If I ever fail to keep them safe I have recorded proof of their actions. They will all instantly lie, but they can say what they want, I will simply play back the video to the constabulary.

It's a personal thing if you want one, but I even have one on my push bike / motorcycle as I am fed up with the impatient nature and driving standards of a few on our roads.
If you want one Nextbase have been good for me, no failures in any, all still working fine.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 05 Oct 2019 19:13 by Scimike.

• Daniel30
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2019 20:02 #214371 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Dash cam
Many thanks

• Daniel30
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Oct 2019 23:35 #214373 by Daniel30

Lambert wrote: Am I right in thinking that all monitor gps to give a location and speed data? Also I have heard reports that the police have been interrogating them for evidence of prior behaviour as in you get a tug for 54 in a 50 the copper then sees the dashcam and looks back through it and gets you for having a recording of you driving a tro'd lane or going deliberately off track causing damage and you then get done for that too because you incriminated yourself even though you weren't caught in the act. Ok none of us would do that because we have respect but my concern is still valid everyone has done something at some point that they would prefer remaining quiet. Still unconvinced.

You can turn the GPS and mph off if you want on the nextbase cams

• GF68
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 16:03 #214421 by GF68
Replied by GF68 on topic Dash cam
I have a Blackvue DR750s-2CH in my current car which replaced a DR650s-2CH and they are good. The 650 really suffers from struggling to get a GPS lock so footage recorded does not know where it is.

My wife and son both have Thinkview f770s and in my view these are better than the Blackview, the footage is slightly clearer and the app gives options to have thinks like lane departure, and speed camera warnings.

That said the difference is marginal and we have been happy with all three. The key lesson for us has been to really understand just how fast the cards fill up and overwrite. You really need your wits about you as a journey at the start of a journey can easily be over written 4 hours later on the higher resolution settings.

Also don't skimp on the quality of the SD card you use. They cycle so frequently you need a card designed for the purpose or they soon fail.

• Daniel30
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Oct 2019 16:21 #214423 by Daniel30
Great info thank you

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds