BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Not the usual tyre post lol

More
02 Oct 2019 13:56 #214175 by gilburton
Halfords were doing a reasonable deal on standard GeolanderA/T's so as my Jimny needed a couple on the back I ordered them.
Despite booking in it was at least an hour before I got the car back.
I only drove it home a few miles through town.
My wife came back an hour ago after using it and said the steering was light.
I got the tyre gauge out and any guesses on the pressures??
Only 38psi all round:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:
It's not the first time I have had this and the last time was a genuine Suzuki dealer.
Why don't they actually check the correct tyre pressures???
Needless to say they got 1 star on my feedback!!

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Oct 2019 14:23 - 02 Oct 2019 14:24 #214176 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Not the usual tyre post lol
Wow, that beats the 34psi that Blackcircles set mine to and I thought they were rock hard!

That reminds me, I set them to 30psi for a fully loaded trip a month ago and haven't remembered to drop them down at all, thought things were a bit bouncy!

What are you running yours at?
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 14:24 by Gadget.

More
02 Oct 2019 14:28 #214178 by gilburton
Standard 23 front 26 rear.
I very rarely change the rear as I don't use the rear seats. I never changed them with my small caravan and didn't notice any difference.

More
02 Oct 2019 19:34 #214212 by Max Headroom
My neighbour very nearly put her Jimny into the scenery due to the clowns at her garage over-inflating the tyres - needless to say she went back and gave them some serious one-way conversation on tyre pressures :lol:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

• Podge
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Oct 2019 22:22 #214224 by Podge
Replied by Podge on topic Not the usual tyre post lol
Halfords are actually doing a very good deal on the Geolanders.

Got two for the front, half thinking of changing the 50% worn michelans to them. They're quite grippy and roll quiet enough on the road.

I did have to tell them to only put 23psi in them. I did hear the mechanic/fitter comment to a colleague "why does he want 23 in them" so I'm glad I did otherwise they'd have put them rock hard.

More
03 Oct 2019 07:00 #214233 by kirkynut
When I had my new tyres fitted last week I set them there and then in front of the tyre fitter before I drove it inside for its tracking. I had asked him but he hadn't done it.

They all seem to do it! I've just got used to getting the gauge out and letting air out no matter which car I've had tyre work done on.

It's not good for those not in the know though.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
03 Oct 2019 08:18 - 03 Oct 2019 08:29 #214237 by gilburton
It's because modern tyres are low profile so the average pressures are much higher. The Jimny is an old car with "balloon" type tyres. These act as part of the suspension so need to have some "give" in them to help cushion the bumps.
Modern cars have the suspension tuned to suit so the handling is much stiffer as the tyres take virtually no part in cushioning the bumps.
Many years ago I was a tyre fitter and if you didn't know,or the car wasn't listed on the wall chart, we usually inflated to 24/25 psi as that was the average then.
There is no excuse for tyre places to inflate the tyre without knowing the manufacturers pressures.
It is usually in the door and is easy enough to find on the computer!!
What would happen in the event of an accident?? Under inflation is an offence so what about over inflation??
I used to have a Vauxhall Tigra and that came with a variety of wheel sizes depending on spec or what the previous owner had fitted.
Mine came with very low profile tyres and 17" wheels. I swapped them for 16" wheels with a higher profile tyre as the handling over bumps was awful.
This is why a lot of people are getting dented rims on potholes etc. This "fashion" for large wheels isn't much use on the state of our roads.

Last edit: 03 Oct 2019 08:29 by gilburton.

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds