BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rock sliders - Gen 4.

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
03 Sep 2019 17:35 #213072 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.

mlines wrote:

Andy2640 wrote:
How about the lift? Is that something you regret?

I didnt build my Jimny originally, it was already in the basic form that you see it. I have replaced or improved parts where the originals have failed or were poor quality. Therefore it came with a 3" lift and still has one although I replaced it with far better springs and shocks. The problem is the slippery slope of modification, once you start....

You've been the voice of reason martin. You made some really fair points! May have even cost Jimnybits an order or two.. haha! I'm all for subtle modifications, I think the Gen. 4 is a beautiful looking car standard. I think these rock sliders are about as far as I would go, but as others have said I think the TB and Fuel filter guards are a higher priority.

Long term I think i'll look at a trail master lift kit after earning a superb reputation on this forum. It's great to see that your Big Jimny shop offers the best price for that specific kit! :cheer: :cheer: :whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 17:35 #213073 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.
Yeah cause I'm really offended :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Andy would get more information from you than me mate I just Potter about :laugh: :laugh:

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 17:35 #213074 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.

Lambert wrote: Sorry Dan, I missed this being directed at you. How rude!

Nice to have 2 opinions from 2 people i respect the opionion of...... so thank you.

• DAGZOOK
  • DAGZOOK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
    Registered
  • First Time ZOOK owner!
More
03 Sep 2019 17:36 #213075 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.

DAGZOOK wrote:

mlines wrote:

Andy2640 wrote:
How about the lift? Is that something you regret?

I didnt build my Jimny originally, it was already in the basic form that you see it. I have replaced or improved parts where the originals have failed or were poor quality. Therefore it came with a 3" lift and still has one although I replaced it with far better springs and shocks. The problem is the slippery slope of modification, once you start....

You've been the voice of reason martin. You made some really fair points! May have even cost Jimnybits an order or two.. haha! I'm all for subtle modifications, I think the Gen. 4 is a beautiful looking car standard. I think these rock sliders are about as far as I would go, but as others have said I think the TB and Fuel filter guards are a higher priority.

Long term I think i'll look at a trail master lift kit after earning a superb reputation on this forum. It's great to see that your Big Jimny shop offers the best price for that specific kit! :cheer: :cheer: :whistle:

Gadget, I'll be relying on you to tow me out of the rough stuff with your newly armoured J- Wagon :silly:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Sep 2019 17:39 #213077 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.

Andy2640 wrote:

Lambert wrote: Sorry Dan, I missed this being directed at you. How rude!

Nice to have 2 opinions from 2 people i respect the opionion of...... so thank you.

Very nice of you to say. Thank you.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Sep 2019 17:40 #213078 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.

Daniel30 wrote: Yeah cause I'm really offended :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Andy would get more information from you than me mate I just Potter about :laugh: :laugh:

Too kind!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daniel30

More
03 Sep 2019 19:37 - 03 Sep 2019 19:39 #213083 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.
I'll be the first to admit that some of my mods will be driven by aesthetics rather than practical application. Tyres are the obvious one. While I think A/T tyres make sense for a car like the Jimny, common sense would have had me get the 195/80 versions of my G015s, but the extra width of the 215s transforms the appearance of the car in my eyes, so the extra weight was worth it.

Funnily enough I didn't get the rock sliders for either looks or offroading, but as massively over engineered side steps and to help defend against numpties flinging their doors open in car parks. I'd be surprised if I go off-road more than a couple of times a year and even then I'm unlikely to venture into sill-bending areas.

I'm not aiming to build a hardcore offroader, hence the reason I've no plans to add guards to the diffs etc. A winch does tempt me, as I could imagine a bunch of other uses for it, but the massive weight involved has already put me off. I would like a suitable front and rear recovery point though, just in case.

With all my obsessions hobbies, I tend to throw money at lots of different solutions and setups to see what sticks and suits me best, selling the ones that don't. You should see how many different paintball guns/loaders/goggles/packs I've gone through over the last 25 years, hunting for that elusive perfect loadout! :lol:

It might be that in a couple of months I decide that the weight of the rocksliders outweighs any benefit I'm getting from having them fitted, or another company might introduce an alu alternative that would be better for me, in which case they might be a bargain on the For Sale forum. The great thing about the design is that fitting and removal requires zero permanent change to the car.

I reckon I have about a 50/50 success rate with purchases, but if you don't try them out yourself, you never know what they're like. :)
Last edit: 03 Sep 2019 19:39 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: treps, Andy2640

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 20:14 #213089 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.
Love your approach, I've recently been dabbling with archery but that didn't stick either.
Chris

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Sep 2019 20:31 #213093 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.
I have the same sickness .....

:laugh: :cheer: :blink: :silly: :lol: :dry:
Pellet guns, BB guns, RAM guns
RC tanks, trucks, racers
Car cleaning products
Power tools
Metal detecting
Golfing
Model steam engines
Lasers (IR, 445NM, 405NM)
Night vision
Coin collecting/hunting
Days gone by models

Now obviously I have a Jimny addiction!

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Sep 2019 19:36 - 04 Sep 2019 19:37 #213153 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.
Gadget, thank you for this topic. My sliders have now landed so I will be following your instructions soon.
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Sep 2019 19:37 by G-imny. Reason: Correction

More
04 Sep 2019 21:13 #213157 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.
Be careful! I managed to drop one slider on my head, which has probably dropped me from a halfwit to a quarterwit. :)

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Sep 2019 12:21 #213203 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Rock sliders - Gen 4.
Thanks Gadget I have followed your lead and joined the rock slider set.
All I can add is I chose to run a tap through all the threads on the slider itself (M12 coarse). I found the things so awkward I wanted all the bolts to go in first time.
I didn't use a jack or ramps and relied on the old gearbox on belly technique (on the principle that it can't fall on you if it's already on you). The only extra piece of advice I can offer is to phone a friend, this has got to be easier with two.
Chris
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds