BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 - "Micro grind" Poll

Poll: Does your Gen 4 make a grinding noise when pulling away in 1st gear.

Yes
25 71.4%
No
8 22.9%
Not sure
2 5.7%
Total number of voters: 35 ( mavanwyk, dhernandezd, PabloAzH, GeezerDan, Dan ) See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll
More
01 Aug 2020 13:46 #225943 by vagepap
Thank you all, waiting for final results. Anyone knows how extensive is the maintenance that needs to be carried out?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2020 18:23 #226036 by wjamieson
I had mine done just before Lockdown and have not done much mileage since. I have not heard the original noise at all since but I have noticed a whine which was not there before when accelerating. It's not very loud and I am sure most people would not notice it but it is definitely there. When coasting or foot of the throttle no whine. when accelerating just a bit such as maintaining cruising speed at 60 you notice the constant whine. Have not as yet taken it back to dealer. Anyone else noticed slight change in noise following the repair?

More
03 Aug 2020 21:40 #226057 by crash486
Couple of hundred k's after the TC "fix" and the original noise is just detectable starting in 1st and only very briefly.
Initially it would occur quite a lot off road and very loud lasting seconds.
This is a massive improvement and as a side benefit for mine the selection lever is now very smooth from 2H to 4H and back. Previously it was stiff and notchy.

crash486 JB74W

More
04 Aug 2020 07:41 #226058 by coellobranco
I hear this noise, in first gear and especially when you climb slopes from a standstill.

• nogbad
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2020 19:01 #226477 by nogbad
Replied by nogbad on topic Gen 4 - "Micro grind" Poll
Had my car in today, they said it's something to do with transfer box ,parts on back order should have it back same day. I did notice they had 2 brand new Jimny's in still with protective wrap on so the cars are still coming in

More
10 Aug 2020 19:25 #226479 by lightning
Not noticed any micro grinding on our 1500 mile 2020 model.
There is more mechanical noise than your standard FWD hatchback, but don't forget the gearbox is right underneath the lever, unlike most cars where it's about a metre away on the other end of a linkage.

Also you've got a transfer box with internals whizzing round right behind the gearbox, plus two external differentials and propshafts under the vehicle.

I would expect to hear some transmission noise from all that. ln fact the Jimny seems to isolate it pretty well.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds