BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Advice on these Jimnys!

• emu88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2019 09:59 #211971 by emu88
Advice on these Jimnys! was created by emu88
Hi everyone
I was a member here back in 2015 when I bought my first 2004 Jimny and I departed after it very sadly got written off in York. I had learnt a lot with all your help and done much DIY mechanics on it. Accordingly I have always maintained an affection for the Jimny.

Well I am now back in the market for one after our replacement car got written off by a truck that ploughed into it whilst parked. Bitter sweet moment as I’m now excited about getting a Jimny.

Since I’ll be sharing it and my other half will use it as a commuter 3-4 days a week actually (I know maybe not an ideal commuter), it has to be automatic, a newer model ideally and max 10k.

I have found these two on eBay, I wanted to get your views on them if I may.

This one was a category S: rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F273956655477

Guy says it is recorded as cat s as it had minor body damage that included the rear quarter, but I thought cat S was major structural damage? There is no sign of a previous repair apparently and is also priced to reflect the cat s status - but what do you guys think?

And this one isn’t I think and I have a better feeling: rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A...2Fitm%2F143343702035

Thanks in advance!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2019 10:39 - 10 Aug 2019 10:42 #211974 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Advice on these Jimnys!
Hi and good luck with your Jimny Search.
You are correct. "The new Category S means the vehicle has suffered structural damage. This could include a bent or twisted chassis, or a crumple zone that has collapsed in a crash. Category S damage is more than just cosmetic, therefore, and the vehicle will need to be professionally repaired"
A Google quote.
So it's been damaged and repaired, but you can't really make a judgement from the pictures. Can't see cat S mentioned in the advert, maybe I missed it.
I am no expert on Jimny prices other than they tend to hold value and vary a lot. Me personally would walk away from the Cat S, they rust enough without assistance from accident damage and It's still a lot of cash at 10k. Just before the launch of the GEN4 a fully loaded G3 could be had for 14K on the road. Just for info.

Second one appeals more to me, but I would have to see it in the flesh....

Good luck.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 10 Aug 2019 10:42 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
10 Aug 2019 10:59 #211976 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Advice on these Jimnys!
As above. Second one but only subject to inspection. We paid a bit more for our second auto and got a very low mileage example. They are out there.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• emu88
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Aug 2019 11:58 #211979 by emu88
Replied by emu88 on topic Advice on these Jimnys!
Thank you both! Asked about rust in typical areas and he says there is none. Will try and go see today... you reckon 1k off the price shown is reasonable or a bit cheeky?

More
10 Aug 2019 12:30 #211981 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Advice on these Jimnys!
I have a friend who just bought a 2002 auto with 28k for £2300.....not a speck of rust!

Right now it's being stripped down and rustproofed...

They are out there at all ages in good condition.

More
10 Aug 2019 15:45 - 10 Aug 2019 15:47 #211990 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Advice on these Jimnys!
No it's not cheeky, its all part of the dance.
Even if it was perfect I would start the offer lower, you are standing there offering to purchased and the sound of that cash can be enough to get the price down a little. If they won't budge it's your call.
Good luck.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 10 Aug 2019 15:47 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.114 seconds