BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rubbing after changing wheels

More
21 Jul 2019 14:47 - 21 Jul 2019 14:55 #211361 by Wailin
I just treated my jimny to a new set of wheels and tyres. It was previously running on standard 15" alloys with BFG 235/75. I went with the black steel wheels from jimnybits with the -15 offset and they are rubbing now due to the more aggressive offset which I was getting away with on the previous alloys.

What'a the best solution? I'm thinking of a suspension lift, but not sure if it will need extended brake lines, steering mod etc. If i could get away with just the lift I'd do it myself. Wheel arch trimming doesn't appeal to me either. I don't have the tools or experience for it and afraid I'd make a complete mess of it.

Edit: It already has a 2" bodylift which is why I'm thinking extended brake lines and steering extension might be required.

Any advice appreciated.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2019 14:55 by Wailin.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Jul 2019 16:36 - 21 Jul 2019 16:38 #211363 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Rubbing after changing wheels
That looks really nice!! I love the blue, it seems to be a deeper blue than on the gen 4. Yes.... i really like that blue!

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but just wanted to say how killer your jimny looks.

Edit: yes, the wheels and tyres look awesome!
Congrats on a really pucker jimny buddy.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2019 16:38 by Andy2640.

More
21 Jul 2019 19:40 #211369 by Wailin
Thanks Andy! It really does look great and the kids love it!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Jul 2019 05:14 #211375 by Lambert
As I see it you have a couple of options, factory wheels? Or more lift. Like you said more lift will have to include longer brake pipes because of the existing lift as a definite. It is also going mean that your wheels might look a little lost in the arches with 4 inches of lift. Hmm I would look long and hard at what is catching and how much would need clearancing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Jul 2019 07:23 #211376 by kirkynut
Where's catching?

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

More
22 Jul 2019 10:15 #211391 by Wailin
Bottom of the wheel arch behind the front wheels. I reckon the rear might catch too with any off roading although I haven't had it off road since the new wheels went on.

More
22 Jul 2019 10:19 #211392 by Wailin
I could put the tyres back on the original alloys which wouldn't be that big of a deal. But I love the look of the black steel wheels! A suspension lift has been on my mind for awhile but getting the brake lines extended and steering extension is probably a bit out of my skill set! The actual spring and shock replacement wouldn't bother me.

More
22 Jul 2019 14:46 #211399 by jackonlyjack
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wailin

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Jul 2019 15:26 #211402 by Lambert
If the steering is correct now with a body lift it won't need attention with a suspension lift of 50mm.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wailin

More
22 Jul 2019 17:39 #211405 by Wailin
So I will only have to extend brake lines? Will they 100% need to be done or is it possible I could get away with it? I'd even go with a 30mm lift if there's one available.

More
22 Jul 2019 17:47 #211406 by Wailin
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationI came across these Eibach springs which result in a 20-25mm lift at front and 15-20mm at rear.

Will I need to change shocks with these springs or could I get away with it?

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Jul 2019 18:13 #211408 by Lambert
You will definitely need brake pipes as the existing body lift has used up the available slack in the factory ones. You could just use spring and damper spacers if you are struggling with a budget. But like everything else you get what you pay for. I have some quite Gucci suspension under mine because I feel that the investment is valid on a daily driver. It might not be on a weekend toy.

Time to create page: 0.161 seconds