BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2019 14:33 #211193 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Re:Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?

Andy2640 wrote: Any other gen 4 owners got the same lean or ??

I have a feeling mine does this too, but I haven't looked at it closely. Next time it's on level ground I'll try and measure it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2019 17:15 #211201 by Scimike

mlines wrote: Gen3 had different rate springs on the rear to compensate. It sags after a while.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's what I had seen, the drives side rear spring (as supplied by Suzuki) is slightly longer on a G3, I believe to compensate for the driver. This rings true of my own standard 2009 which is 10mm higher on the drivers side rear compared to passenger, almost level with driver onboard.
Not sure aftermarket springs do the same, hence they can induce a lean. Can't say I've had an issue so far with sagging standard springs and the Jimny's getting on a bit, but it could happen.
My Land Rover Series 2 has different rate "cart springs" on the rear, the drivers side more curved than the passenger, again to compensate for driver load, that's why I think your Jimnys leaning the wrong way.
Sorry it's not G4 specific, but you would have thought this was a carry over from the G3 as the underpinnings are very similar.

Sorry not much help, you could ask Suzuki what's going on, it's still under warranty.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
17 Jul 2019 18:02 #211206 by Riccy
What shape is the fuel tank and how full was it? On a gen3 the tank is larger on the passenger side than the driver. Doubt it makes that much difference, but who knows?! :laugh:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Jul 2019 18:18 #211208 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?

Riccy wrote: What shape is the fuel tank and how full was it? On a gen3 the tank is larger on the passenger side than the driver. Doubt it makes that much difference, but who knows?! :laugh:

Running on fumes unfortunately Riccy. Like below 20 miles. Canny be that either. Hmmmmm! Scratch noggin.

More
18 Jul 2019 18:35 #211257 by Gadget
I'm not even going to look at mine, as I'll get all OCD if I spot a hint of lean!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2019 18:47 #211258 by Andy2640

Gadget wrote: I'm not even going to look at mine, as I'll get all OCD if I spot a hint of lean!

Lol

Your jim, is whispering .... "Pssst... psst ....... Gadget....come check my lean". But whatever you do, dont give in and check :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Tick tock ... tick tock!!

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2019 19:15 #211260 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic Slight lean to the right on my gen 4?
I haven't checked mine yet. Problem is that as it's so damn good looking it's only a matter of time before I look back after parking up and seeing a lean..... or just have a paranoid feeling lol.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Jul 2019 21:32 #211266 by Andy2640

Aj4x4 wrote: I haven't checked mine yet. Problem is that as it's so damn good looking it's only a matter of time before I look back after parking up and seeing a lean..... or just have a paranoid feeling lol.

I"m always looking at mine. Just never gets old. Everytime i go out, i look forward to the drive. Its a real love affair. Corny but true.

I just wish more accessories would come out. I really want a quality bull bar. But all the ones available at the minute are a vit naff. Most hang down belkw the bumper, massively deceeasing approach angle. Oh and a snorkle would be great.

Anyways......

More
18 Jul 2019 22:06 #211267 by facade
My Gen4 leans to the driver's side, same as the Gen 3 did before it.

I don't worry about it, I can't tell when I'm sitting in it. ;)

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
19 Jul 2019 04:27 #211271 by Lambert
Something else that has occurred to me. When I first fitted my track springs i had 2 matching pairs for front and rear to save on cost and because I forgot to accommodate the lean. My track springs are nominal 275 pound inches or massively harder than the factory ones. They need a spacers to get the car level. What this means is that the lean actually has to be built into the chassis since my springs barely compress when I am in the car or not, so it is unlikely to be things like all the components being on the same side as the driver. If its built in it kinda makes sense that it is a compensation system for road camber. I'd be interested if someone has a stripped chassis and could accurately measure the relative position of the spring perches side to side on a level chassis?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds